Windows 10: Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

Discus and support Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer? in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey everyone, Just wanted to get a feel on this before i dig into it. I have a dell laptop (school) that i got a SSD for. I also have a clevo laptop... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by livingfortheice, Oct 20, 2015.

1. Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to get a feel on this before i dig into it. I have a dell laptop (school) that i got a SSD for. I also have a clevo laptop at home (main computer), and it has two 2.5" driver bays. Could i install my current dell HDD and the new SSD into the clevo and clone them using this machine? Would this cause any complications?

Thanks,
    Ben

:)

livingfortheice, Oct 20, 2015
  2. qinada Win User

Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Oct 20, 2015
  3. SSD - copy or reinstall OS?

All you need is a free cloning software. Personally, I often use AOMEI Backupper to clone large hdd to smaller ssd. you don't have to shrink the partition for it to fit the ssd,
    as the software will do it, as long as your ssd have enough space for the data on the hdd. If your ssd does not have that much space, you can slim your HDD by removing data to another storage device or use system clone to only migrate your operating
    system(OS) to the SSD instead.

www.backup-utility.com/clone/clone-large-hdd-to-smaller-ssd-4348.html

Youngwarlord, Oct 20, 2015
  4. spapakons Win User

Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

You can do that on your notebook, but since you will be using both driver bays for the disk and the SSD, you need to boot from a live CD that includes a cloning application. One of them is Clonezilla. So after you have downloaded the ISO and burned to DVD, you can connect both disks in your notebook and boot into Clonezilla. Then be extra careful when selecting the source and target disk so you don't clone the wrong way and lose all your data! Since the disk may contain multiple partitions as well as bootable information, it is advisable to clone the whole disk and not individual partitions. After a successful clone, you can connect the SSD to the Dell laptop and try to boot it. Once in Windows you will have to activate again and that's it.

spapakons, Oct 20, 2015
  5. Gary Win User
    I willl be doing the same thing almost later today but I will be using Macrium Reflect.

6. Thanks bud. Good point on booting to the cloning software. I was worried about hardware information not transferring or something. But I will go ahead and try this out. Luckily my hdd only has my school files and those are backed up already so if I mess this up, I just have to install Windows again but that's no biggie.

Ben

7. spapakons Win User
    If you clone the disk, it will transfer the hardware information of the original to the SSD. So the clone (SSD) can replace the original and boot OK. That's the whole point of cloning, otherwise we would be doing a clean install.

spapakons, Oct 20, 2015
  8. Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

Yeah sorry. I didn't explain that right, and I really don't know what I meant now that I read it again. Haha. But thanks for the info.

Ben

9. spapakons Win User
    I meant to use the other computer to clone the disk of the original computer to the SSD. Since the disk is from the original computer, the SSD clone should work there. The other computer is used for running the application only. I didn't mean to clone the Windows installation of another computer. This could work if hardware is similar but then he would not be able to activate legally.

spapakons, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer?

1. Cloning HDD to SSD in a different computer? - Similar Threads - Cloning HDD SSD

2. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  3. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Clone HDD to SSD: Of all the many programs than come with Win10, do any allow the cloning of the OS to a new SSD? If so, are the instructions easy to understand & follow? If not, can you recommend one?Thanks!...
  4. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Window clone HDD To SSD

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Window clone HDD To SSD: Hello firstly window runs on HDD after I did clone the window HDD to SSD he has done it successfully but the EFI system partition can't migrate to SSD. I want to run a complete window partition on SSD 250GB. Activated os windows10 Thank you...
  6. HDD to SSD clone.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    HDD to SSD clone.: Want to transfer my whole operating system along with the data from a HDD to a SSD but don't know how to do it. Help needed. SSD not yet bought so suggestion on what company to buy from are welcome. Currently using western digital wd10spzx-60z10t0 1TB. Let me know if more...
  7. Cloning an SSD from an HDD

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cloning an SSD from an HDD: Im planning on swapping out my laptops HDD with an SSD, and I was wondering if the OS clones to the new drive? Also I have a few programs that have licenses using ilok so would those carry over too or would i have to authenticate my software again? Thanks in advance!...
  8. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using MiniTool Partition Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  9. Cloning a hdd to ssd

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning a hdd to ssd: 1t to 250 gig ssd using Macrium Free. Very little on the hdd and I never even fill up a 128g ssd !! Anything I have to be aware of ? Thanks 143870
  10. Clone HDD to SSD

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Clone HDD to SSD: Most regulars here recommend and use Macrium Reflect Free which will work on ANY drive. 93058