Windows 10: cloning my new laptop to my desktop

Discus and support cloning my new laptop to my desktop in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by littleorange, Apr 29, 2017.

1. cloning my new laptop to my desktop

I have

I have a new laptop. can I clone it to my old desktop?

:)

littleorange, Apr 29, 2017

2. Upgrade information

my msi laptop came with genuine windows preinstalled I plan on installing a ssd as my boot device to feather increase the speed. to do that as you know I have to clone windows as well somepeople say their windows license were cancelled due to cloning
    and installing it to the ssd so once I clone my device and install (clone ) windows to my new ssd as a boot drive my license will still be valid as long as the ssd is in this laptop ?

ThaviduSuriyamudali, Apr 29, 2017
  3. Clone HDD to a SSD

I'm planing to upgrade my new laptop HDD to SSD while using my HDD as a storage media on my laptop. My laptop came with windows 10 Home OEM. If I cloned the HDD will the windows be activated after I
    cloned or will it be deactivated?? And what happend to other activated softwares like MS Office and Antivirus Softwares???

Thank you for your support.

Kasun Anuradha, Apr 29, 2017
  4. Samuria Win User

cloning my new laptop to my desktop

No all the drivers will be wrong and it's illegal and you can't activate twice on two PC's

Samuria, Apr 29, 2017
  5. lmaneke Win User
    Depends. Many times, Windows 10 will automatically install the drivers on the other system, but it will depend if you have a product key for Windows 10 on your old desktop, and it would have to be the same version of Windows.

If not, you will need to buy a product key for your version of Windows, as it will not activate.

Another thing as well, is it depends on what kind of BIOS both of your systems have. If they both have a UEFI Bios, it should boot, but if your laptop has UEFI and your old desktop is the Legacy Bios, then cloning wouldn't be a good idea, as it won't boot.

lmaneke, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

cloning my new laptop to my desktop

1. cloning my new laptop to my desktop - Similar Threads - cloning laptop desktop

2. Imaging/Cloning hard drive from Desktop to laptop

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Imaging/Cloning hard drive from Desktop to laptop: Hey there,Just curious about the best procedure when it comes to cloning/imaging a hard drive from a desktop to a laptop. I am aware that desktops can have OEM or retail license keys and laptops would come with an OEM license key. How would I go about cloning/imaging the...
  3. Mirror or cloning Personal Laptop and Desktop Accounts

in Windows 10 Customization
    Mirror or cloning Personal Laptop and Desktop Accounts: Hi, I will reinstall a desktop PC that I haven't used for ages and I am also using a laptop. As my wife and/or kids also use the laptop from time to time and often at the same times, I would like to find out if it is possible to 'mirror' the desktop and laptop. In other...
  4. My desktop is a laptop

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    My desktop is a laptop: Lenovo 700 connected to an external monitor via HDMI. I upgraded to 2004 on Nov. 8, several updates on Nov. 19 to bring it up to .630. Since then (Nov. 19) when I put it to sleep (at the end of the day) wake it up in the morning it wakes up in 'PC screen only', Project is...
  5. New Desktop is sharing with my laptop and laptop sharing with desktop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    New Desktop is sharing with my laptop and laptop sharing with desktop: Everything from Steam games, homework assignments, and pictures are being shared between my two computers. I'm a full time student and I just purchased a PC for gaming. I've had my laptop for a couple years now and since getting my gaming PC, everything on my laptop including...
  6. My desktop and laptop

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    My desktop and laptop: My issue is that everything on my desk top computer is on both of my lap tops. Anyone using those lap tops can see everything including documents, photos and anything else that is on my desk top computer. How can I resolve this so that nothing on my desk top computer shows on...
  7. How to uninstall all drivers after cloning the Windows on my new SSD and move to a new laptop?

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    How to uninstall all drivers after cloning the Windows on my new SSD and move to a new laptop?: I want to move my windows from HDD to my new SSD and I'm wondering if I want to change my laptop and put my SSD into the "new laptop", I have to uninstall all the drivers installed on that windows drive for the previous laptop and install new ones for this new laptop. Is it...
  8. Windows 10 Cloned Installed on my New PC

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10 Cloned Installed on my New PC: I had a HP Slimline Pavilian PC with Windows 7 that I switched over to Windows 10 two (2) weeks ago. I liked the new Windows 10. However, I recently noticed this past weekend, that the EaseUS Backup Software that I had on Windows 7 apparently stopped working when the Windows...
  9. how to clone my old hdd to my new one ?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    how to clone my old hdd to my new one ?: I have my windows 10 and my programs installed on my Samsung ssd also I have 1 WD BLACK HARD DRIVES 1 WD blue 1 WD green also a hitachi 500 GB that hitachi recently becomes soo slow when I open a folder with videos it takes a lot of time to load the videos also...
  10. Clone old laptop to new Laptop?

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone old laptop to new Laptop?: Question: Could I with Data Migration clone my old laptop (win 10 installed & updated), and install it in a new laptop I am thinking of buying? As always your thoughts most appreciated. 54283