Windows 10: Cloning SSD via External USB Drive

Discus and support Cloning SSD via External USB Drive in Windows 10 Backup and Restore to solve the problem; I just acquired a second laptop identical to the one I have. I will have exactly the same configuration on both and keep them in sync. I need to clone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Backup and Restore' started by oao, May 27, 2017.

1. OAO
    oao Win User

Cloning SSD via External USB Drive

I just acquired a second laptop identical to the one I have. I will have exactly the same configuration on both and keep them in sync. I need to clone the SSD to the new SSD, but I don't have access to a desktop or eSATA port.
    Is there a way to use Macrium Reflect to clone the SSD to an external USB drive and then clone the USB drive to the new SSD? Caveat: old SSD 256GB, new 128GB, but the old has much less than 128GB filled.

If not, any other suggestions I could accomplish this?

:)

2. How can I initialise an SSD?

The SSD's manufacturer should have a cloning app on their web page. Hook up the SSD as an external drive, clone the existing drive to the SSD, then swap the drives.

Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook], May 27, 2017
  3. Strange "C Missing" in Restore window

Results of testing Acronis clone and Image restore.

Boot SSD 1 – verified that there is no C Missing.

Created a second restore point for this drive.

Wipe SSD 2.

Clone SSD 1 to SSD 2 using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot from SSD 2.

C Missing exists on SSD 2

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection ON for C Missing.

Wipe SSD 2.

Image SSD1 to External backup drive using Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Restore image from external drive to SSD2 with Acronis 2016 booted from Rescue USB.

Boot SSD2.

System Protection turned OFF for C System.

System Protection turned ON for C Missing.

My Results of testing;

Macrium clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Macrium Image restore does NOT create C Missing on imaged drive

Acronis clone creates C Missing folder on cloned drive.

Acronis image restore creates C Missing on imaged drive.

Turning Protection OFF on C Missing removes it from System Protection window.

Must turn protection on for C System.

These are my results - Others may have different results.

snifferpro, May 27, 2017
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

Using Macrium Reflect, save an image of the SSD to the external USB drive. Then restore the image to the new SSD.

NavyLCDR, May 27, 2017
  5. OAO
    oao Win User
    Thanks.

2 questions:

1. Does the cloned image take 256GB, or only the filled space? Or does it compress? I only have 150GB on the USB drive.

2. In order to restore image I must boot from the Macrium recovery disc?

6. NavyLCDR New Member
    1. It will compress to a file that is slightly smaller than only the used space of the drive being cloned.

2. No, you won't have to boot from a Macrium Disc. But you cannot be booted from the drive you are attempting to restore the image to.

NavyLCDR, May 27, 2017
  7. OAO
    oao Win User
    Thanks.

But whatever I boot from, it must have access to Macrium to restore, and the new SSD has only Win10 running, no Macrium. The recovery disc has it.

On second thought, due to the diff SSD sizes, the partitions will be diff. So I probably need to backup the system partition and restore it -- I can then simply copy the other data partitions individually via the USB disk, no?
    Is this OK if new SSD has Win10Pro 1607 on it and I restore 1511?

Incidentally, does it make an

8. cereberus Win User

No - just boot from Macrium Rescue drive and restore image to ssd on new laptop. It will shrink main partition to fit - no problem.

cereberus, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Cloning SSD via External USB Drive - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD via

2. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Gaming
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  3. External USB-SSD drive not accessible

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB-SSD drive not accessible: Hi,I have an SSD disk 2.5" size. I have been using it as an external harddrive for a while. There are important data on it.I have not been using it for a while, After latest access to that SSD I have reinstalled my OS to my computer, I am not sure if this is related to my...
  4. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  5. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    external SSD USB drive: hello community; I have a NEW Dell desktop PC, my OS is windows 10 pro. I have an SSD USB external drive for my backup PC generated important files. Recently when I was about to access the external drive an error box opened in the bottom right corner of my screen which reads...
  6. external SSD USB drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. *noob alert* moving clone of old SSD to new SSD via USB?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    *noob alert* moving clone of old SSD to new SSD via USB?: submitted by /u/Equivalent-Panic-262 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/lo8j8h/noob_alert_moving_clone_of_old_ssd_to_new_ssd_via/
  8. Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Cloning win 10 to an internal ssd via external usb rack connection: Hi! My friend got a very old computer and tomorrow i have to set up a new computer for her, and i will have to migrate the win 10 from the old IDE HD to the new SSD. I cannot connect the old HD to the new computer and vice versa (no connectors on motherboards). Is there any...
  9. Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system)

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Clone system to an external bootable USB / SSD (Wintogo system): Hi folks while Ms seems to be deprecating the Windows to go idea (currently its only officially available when "Certified" devices are used and you use Windows enterprise you can easily make a Windows to go from any Windows edition -- the problem is that most of the Free...
  10. No boot device found for cloned SSD on external USB drive

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    No boot device found for cloned SSD on external USB drive: Trying to install a new Samsung 960 EVO M.2 1 Tb hard drive on my Dell Latitude E7470 laptop with Windows 10, but my Dell won't recognize the old drive in an external USB 3.0 case. I intended to boot up with the old drive in the USB case, then clone the old drive onto the new...