Windows 10: Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

Discus and support Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; That is not how it worked for the person in the discussion I just linked to, right? Dženan says "the SSD has drive letter F:" even after booting from... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SamHobbs, Feb 17, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

He never booted into Windows from the SSD.

NavyLCDR, Feb 17, 2016
  2. SamHobbs Win User

It is not clear. I assume he did but it is not clear. Regardless, he was doing essentially the same thing as what I want to do and he got it working. He said "swap drive letters for partitions C: and F:" and "make F: partition become C:". He said he was able to "make computer accept that SSD partition is both system and boot" and we know that that would require that the SSD be the C:, right? He did it, so how can it be done?

I have created Swapping drive letters, including boot volume - Microsoft Community.

SamHobbs, Feb 17, 2016
  3. NavyLCDR New Member
    We have told you how to migrate to an SSD.

Clone your current HDD to the SSD using either direct cloning or by transferring an image over (recommended way). If you are going to use Macrium Reflect Free to do it (recommended way) then make a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB or CD/DVD while you are at it. Make sure you have a valid boot partition on the SSD:

For a GPT disk booting with an UEFI bios you will see a small FAT32 EFI partition that is the boot partition. If you have an MBR disk booting with a legacy bios you will either see a separate small System Reserved Partition which will be marked as active or if your boot files happen to be in the Windows partition itself, then the Windows partition will have to be marked as active.

Make sure your bios is set to boot from the SSD - or disconnect your old boot HDD (recommended way), and boot from the SSD. That's it. You don't have to mess with changing any drive letters. When the SSD boots into Windows the Windows partition on the SSD will get C:.

You can take our word for it, whom many of us have already done this hundreds of times cumulatively - or you can mess around in your post on the other forum by some guy who states, "Well, I got it working, but not sure how."

Sometimes, on rare occasions the boot loader in the boot partition will need to be fixed and the easiest and most surefire way of doing that has been with a Macrium Reflect Rescue USB/DVD using the fix windows startup problems utility under the restore menu.

NavyLCDR, Feb 18, 2016
  4. WHS
    whs Win User

5. SamHobbs Win User
    The Samsung Data Migration tool will do everything in the article. The article does not cover the part I am asking about. I did not read any of the 88 pages of commentary after the article.

SamHobbs, Feb 18, 2016
  6. The MS community link simply shows the OP there had split the OS drive up with the System Reserved partition apparently being mounted as a logical drive and why that ended up seeing the F letter while the actual OS primary was still being seen on the spinner. The optical drive saw the D letter and likely another storage drive was present that took the E drive letter.

As for the guide on changing drive letters that explains how to see the drive letters changed on every other partition/drive other the OS primary you are booting from still being the C volume. The flukes seen with XP and Vista ending up with a D designation have since been corrected.

Now as for imaging vs cloning the cloning of a drive here took a full 8hrs.! while seeing an image being a full system image type backup created on average only takes roughly 34 minutes in comparison! That's a huge difference in the time factor as well as you can keep an image for a long time in the event the restored image needs to be replaced at some point or the drives fails and that has to be replaced. Over a period of time of course one image will replace an older one as more things get added in order to preserve what is new along with what has been on the drive.

Restoring an image may take a little longer but you still would end up seeing the image created and restored in far less time then cloning which tends to be a slowwwww.... process.. And it won't matter so much as to what imaging software is used as there numerous available but the time factor will count!

Night Hawk, Feb 18, 2016
  7. SamHobbs Win User
    It is now working the way I wanted it to.

The important thing to do is, when the Samsung Data Migration software says to disable the antivirus software, don't ignore that. When I did the clone without McAfee everything fell in place.

For the record, it boots the SSD and makes the hard drive D: unless the SSD is disconnected. If the SSD is disconnected then it boots the hard drive and makes the hard drive the C:. The system on the hard drive is intact.

SamHobbs, Feb 22, 2016
  8. WHS
    whs Win User

Check whether it boots from the SSD with the HDD disconnected. Just to be on the safe side.

9. SamHobbs Win User
    I did that before proceeding to trying the other possibilities.

SamHobbs, Feb 22, 2016
  10. Except for McAFail being a problem? that is! But that can often be a problem where some system protection will get in the way. With AVG years back I often had to see that shut down as well while with VIPRE only at times. I run with a less intrusive av software but also has a very light foot print in contrast to many programs.

Haven't gone for any SSDs however since the tab for a 1gb has remained a bit too much for the pallete here while I was considering a look at adding in a 3rd even larger 4 or 5tb drive to expand the storage capacity even further! The pair of 1tb OS drives do tend to fill fast here! *Eek*chuckle

Night Hawk, Feb 22, 2016
  11. SamHobbs Win User
    McAfee came with the system. I already have a license for ESET that I will use with it. I previously used McAfee for a year and I did not like it but it was not bad.

A much bigger potential problem is UEFI. It is much more sophisticated and complicated than the old BIOSs. It tries to protect us but it can also get in the way. Drives might not be bootable with UEFI. There is a safe mode (I forget what it is called) that must be disabled permanently if we install a foreign operating system.

SamHobbs, Feb 22, 2016
  12. WHS
    whs Win User
    You are damn right. UEFI is a real Pita. I sometimes wonder what they are trying to protect us from.

13. NavyLCDR New Member

From operating systems from companies other than Microsoft....

I don't think it is as much about protecting us as it about serving Microsoft.

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2016
  14. WHS
    whs Win User
    That's a good thought.

15. SamHobbs Win User
    Read about UEFI. It is not exclusively a Microsoft thing, it's board of directors also include Intel, HP, AMD, Apple, Dell, Lenovo and IBM. The list of members is much larger. Remember that the original BIOS was designed by IBM.

SamHobbs, Feb 22, 2016
Thema:

1. Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD swapping

2. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  3. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  4. Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters

Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters: The machine has a M.2 PCLe NVMe SSD (the system drive), an internal HDD storage drive, and an internal optical drive The SATA controller was set as RAID at the factory. I never enabled RAID on the system by any means to create RAID volumes. The BIOS lets me change the SATA...
  5. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  6. Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap: I have recently purchased a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1 TB SSD to upgrade my existing SSD C drive (250GB OCZ-AGILITY) Using Samsung Data Migration Tool I eventually cloned the new drive successfully after several failed attempts using a spare SATA lead. I then openned up the PC and...
  7. Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive: Okay, So here's the thing. Laptop with small (16GB) Optane SSD & 1TB Seagate HDD failed. Retailer tried to repair, repair failed. Retailer replaced machine with new (lower spec) machine that only has m.2 NVMe PCIe sockets. Bought a small 'Proof-of-concept' SSD to check the...
  8. Drives letters getting swapped

Drives letters getting swapped: Hello, I've noticed on during my last restoring of my system and reloading of W10 Pro, that after I reattach the 2nd, third drive and the DVD, they got swapped in the system. Could it be the bios on an old Gigabyte motherboard or the OS. I guess I can use disk manager to...
  9. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten: I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use. But with Windows 10 it...
  10. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...