Windows 10: Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

Discus and support Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; However, Microsoft requires the manufacturer to both provide secure boot and have it enabled by default in order to obtain Windows 8 or Windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by SamHobbs, Feb 17, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters

However, Microsoft requires the manufacturer to both provide secure boot and have it enabled by default in order to obtain Windows 8 or Windows 10 certification and carry the Windows logo....

that was the basis for my comment. Although, Microsoft has not yet required manufacturers to remove the ability for the user to turn off secure booting on PCs - only on Windows mobile devices.

NavyLCDR, Feb 22, 2016
  2. SamHobbs Win User

I think we are far off-topic here so I won't continue on that.

SamHobbs, Feb 22, 2016
  3. When I ran McAFail as I nicknamed it that had been on an old 98SE build many many moons ago! *chuckle I didn't especially care for it then either. Then I went with Symantec System Works and talk about complicated?! At the time that took two cds to get it on back then having a Disk 1 and Disk 2 seen at times and sometimes you saw 3 or 4 cds until softwares later came out on dvd-rs! The early optical were mostly cd and cd writers with some being able to play only dvds if they were combo drives. The first dvd burners were like 1x/2x sloowwwwwww..... burningggg!

Afterward McAFail picked up it's own bad rep from all the review pointing at the flaws with that while bolstering the other softwares.

You should have seen it with 8 at first with the new "Secure Boot" option! The early information at the time was it would make dual booting even with a previous version like Vista or 7 next to impossible. The 7/8 CP dual when that preview was first out ended trashing both hard drives with disk errors simply having added a boot entry for8 into 7. The first restoration with the Disk Check tool got 7 going again while I decided to hit the PC Refresh option on the 8 CP there which then saw 7 added into the 8 boot. Trashed again! Finally I said No Way! Good bye 8!

Night Hawk, Feb 23, 2016
  4. pipme Win User

I disconnect my system SSD which has Win10 Pro installed and working good. Then connect to the same cables a different SSD with Win8.1 Pro installed, upon rebooting the mc reports 'No operating system found' or words to that effect.
    Shut down mc, reboot whilst (in my case*Wink) tapping 'F11', up pops my 'boot menu' A-ha, the fresh SSD is not 1st choice boot device ! Make it so, and up she rises no problem.
    Both SSDs are same overall size circa 250 GB, one is a Samsung the other is a Sandisk.

Upshot? If using a fresh boot disk be it a clone or whatever, if it doesn't boot do check the boot priority before ringing Bill Gates.

On the other hand ...*Mad

-0-

pipme, Apr 20, 2016
  5. maarkr Win User
    I know this is an old thread, but it anyone searches for 'swapping drive letters', then this may help them.

Space on my mSATA drive was running low, so I cloned it to a larger SATA drive using Macrium. (Be sure to watch the video on doing it because the instructions aren't clear... it will save you a couple of hours) I thought I changed the boot drive in the BIOS to the new drive, but when I booted, the old C drive was still listed as the boot drive. After some hair pulling and not being able to change drive letters, I found this post that said that Win 10 will assign the boot drive as the C drive. AHA! I rebooted and selected the boot drive option on startup in the BIOS, selecting the new drive and VOILA, the cloned drive is now the C drive and the old C was moved to the end of the pack. Yanking the old C drive is not simple on some mSATA motherboard drives, so I wanted to leave it there.

maarkr, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Cloning to SSD then swapping drive letters - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD swapping

2. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  3. Change SSD drive letter

in Windows 10 Support
    Change SSD drive letter: Spec. Win 10 ver 2004, build 19041.572 Hi. I have fitted a new 500GB SSD to my PC and 'Cloned' the old SSD to it. My problem is trying to change the new drive to C and the old drive to an unused letter. So at the moment I have 2 SSD drives that are the same, at present C...
  4. Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters

Internal Storage Devices swap drive letters: The machine has a M.2 PCLe NVMe SSD (the system drive), an internal HDD storage drive, and an internal optical drive The SATA controller was set as RAID at the factory. I never enabled RAID on the system by any means to create RAID volumes. The BIOS lets me change the SATA...
  5. Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive

in Windows 10 Support
    Cloning boot drive to an SSD, cannot boot with cloned drive: I'm sure I screwed something up, but here's my situation. I bought an SSD, unfortunately a little smaller than I should have. In using free Macrium Reflect software to clone my original main drive, I realized I needed a few more gigs of space. The operation requires moving...
  6. Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Problems booting win10 after cloned SSD swap: I have recently purchased a SAMSUNG 860 EVO 1 TB SSD to upgrade my existing SSD C drive (250GB OCZ-AGILITY) Using Samsung Data Migration Tool I eventually cloned the new drive successfully after several failed attempts using a spare SATA lead. I then openned up the PC and...
  7. Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive

in Windows 10 Backup and Restore
    Trying to Clone SSD Drive to another SSD Drive: Okay, So here's the thing. Laptop with small (16GB) Optane SSD & 1TB Seagate HDD failed. Retailer tried to repair, repair failed. Retailer replaced machine with new (lower spec) machine that only has m.2 NVMe PCIe sockets. Bought a small 'Proof-of-concept' SSD to check the...
  8. Drives letters getting swapped

Drives letters getting swapped: Hello, I've noticed on during my last restoring of my system and reloading of W10 Pro, that after I reattach the 2nd, third drive and the DVD, they got swapped in the system. Could it be the bios on an old Gigabyte motherboard or the OS. I guess I can use disk manager to...
  9. Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten

Drive letter assignment to hot-swap drives being forgotten: I have two SATA hot-swap drives that I alternate between each day for backups. When using Windows 7 I was able to assign the disks to g: and then after the initial assignment, windows would remember this and assign it to g: on each subsequent use. But with Windows 10 it...
  10. Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Swapping Smaller SSD with Bigger SSD - Cloning whole system and boot.: Hello there I purchased a Crucial MX300 525gb SSD to upgrade my laptop storage, that has an Intel Opal SSD 180gb on it. I need more space My idea was to clone the information from one SSD (intel is now inside the laptop) to the bigger SSD (using an USB-SATA cable and...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. Swapping ssd cables after cloning C Drive