Windows 10: Cloning to SSD

Discus and support Cloning to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Well have tried everything else might as well give it a go. The cable you mention is the type I am using. AOMEI is very simple to use......I suggest... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bogart99, Mar 24, 2016.

1. kipper Win User

Cloning to SSD

AOMEI is very simple to use......I suggest you clone the entire HHD to the SSD....the software will optimize the SSD for the OS....

kipper, Mar 31, 2016
  2. Bogart99 Win User

Tried everything. Used AOMEI with same outcome. Created yet another USB stick took about 4 hrs to do it. I end up with same problem when trying to install windows to the SSD it just loops around and around. After the first page the one asking for language, country and keyboard off it goes saying installing files etc etc etc then after the last process is ticked bingo back at screen asking for language country and keyboard again. I give up with *Mad

Bogart99, Apr 2, 2016
  3. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Right let's start again

1) current system - you only want to clone the "C" partition -- OK that shouldn't be a problem - but DON'T use CLONE functionality.

2) BEFORE starting format your SSD - it will need to be MBR of your current system is MBR and GPT if your current system is GPT.
    I suggest you attach the SSD to a USB port either with a USB2 or USB3--> Sata cable -- very cheap - in UK use Maplin or Amazon if you can't find one in a local store.

3) Download BOOTABLE copy of FREE macrium and IMAGE (not CLONE) the "C" partition -- AND THE RESERVED system partition (Windows) to a backup device -- the "D" partition on your existing HDD would be good enough. When BOOTING the macrium program chose the BACKUP function first -- the GUI is fairely self explanatory.

4) Now RESTORE the image you created to the SSD (both the "C" and the reserved partition.

5) swap SSD and HDD in laptop

6) Boot -- should be fine

BTW you can also use that sata--USB connector on standard laptop HDD's too - so don't throw away when done - keep old HDD for things like backups etc.

I've done this type of operation LOADS of times -- never a single problem. I assume of course that the SSD isn't defective.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 2, 2016
  4. Word Man Win User

Cloning to SSD

Totally agree! Image/restore was suggested early on Jimbo, but OP has no external drive to work with.

Word Man, Apr 2, 2016
  5. kipper Win User
    Sorry to hear that this did not work for you........

Wish you lived across the street so I could get my hands on your laptop.......I am sure there is a very simple fix to the problem.....

kipper, Apr 2, 2016
  6. NavyLCDR New Member
    When the computer reboots the first time during Windows install, just unplug the USB flash drive; if you miss it, just unplug the USB flash drive and reboot the computer from the SSD. Only the first stage of Windows setup, copying files, uses the installation media - the rest of Windows setup after the first reboot runs off the drive the files were copied to. You just still have the bios set to boot from the USB flash drive first, so with it inserted, it never gets to boot from the SSD to continue with Windows setup.

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2016
  7. It didn't work for me ether, I had to do a reinstall *Sad

Littlejohn56, Apr 2, 2016
  8. Bogart99 Win User

Cloning to SSD

Hi
    Think I have done most of this.
    Tried cloning and imaging.
    System is GPT
    Done the attach with sata to USB
    Done Macrium failed
    I think I am missing very little to get it going but am despairing

Bogart99, Apr 2, 2016
  9. Bogart99 Win User
    Screenshot of current disk.
    Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Bogart99, Apr 2, 2016
  10. NavyLCDR New Member
    Using MiniTool Partition Wizard - if you right click on the EFI System Reserved partition and select explore - do you see anything on it?

NavyLCDR, Apr 2, 2016
  11. Bogart99 Win User
    Explore is greyed out.

Bogart99, Apr 2, 2016
  12. NavyLCDR New Member
    That is most likely the problem. It should have an EFI folder in it, with Boot and Microsoft folders in the EFI folder.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  13. Bogart99 Win User

Cloning to SSD

Have taken another screenshot of both HDD Disk 0 and SSD Disk 1 EFI partition on both is greyed out.
    Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Bogart99, Apr 3, 2016
  14. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

The Image can go to the "D" partition on the Internal HDD. !!!!!! I think I stated this in the post !!

Cheers

jimbo

jimbo45, Apr 3, 2016
  15. Bogart99 Win User
    There is no D partition on either drive so not sure what you mean. The SSD is to replace the HDD not work with it.

Bogart99, Apr 3, 2016
Thema:

Cloning to SSD

1. Cloning to SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD

2. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  3. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  4. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  6. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  7. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  8. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  9. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...