Windows 10: Cloning to SSD

Discus and support Cloning to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In order to use an image file to clone the HDD drive you would have to do the following steps: 1. With HDD installed as the boot drive, and SSD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bogart99, Mar 24, 2016.

1. NavyLCDR New Member

Cloning to SSD

In order to use an image file to clone the HDD drive you would have to do the following steps:

1. With HDD installed as the boot drive, and SSD installed as a secondary drive, create an NTFS partition on the SSD to hold the image file.

2. Using Macrium Reflect Free, make an image of the ENTIRE HDD (not just the Windows partition) and save it to the NTFS partition on the SSD.

3. Copy the completed image file from the SSD back to the HDD - just a normal file copy, NOT a restore.

4. Using the restore function of Macrium Reflect Free, restore the ENTIRE image to the SSD (all partitions). Not a file copy - but restore.

5. Install the SSD as the only drive and attempt to boot from it. You might have to boot from a Macrium Reflect rescue disk and run the fix Windows startup problems utility under the restore menu.

NavyLCDR, Apr 3, 2016
  2. Word Man Win User

Ah, didn't read your post thoroughly. My apologies, Jimbo, for the premature response. D or H same difference in this case I think for OP.

Word Man, Apr 3, 2016
  3. Bogart99 Win User
    Tried suggestion by NavyLCDR sam result no OS message.

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

This is SSD after step 1 creation of NTFS partition.

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Here are contents of SSD after making image of HDD and copying to SSD

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Here is content of HDD after copying image file from SSD to HDD

After a full restore, which completed with no errors, back to the SSD it looks like this

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Which looks no different than before I started the whole thing off.

Will be committing suicide at the end of the day.*Sick

Bogart99, Apr 7, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Cloning to SSD

Were you ever able to boot from a usb drive, using a bootable program on a flash drive??

OldMike65, Apr 7, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    Bogart99,

You either are not including the ENTIRE hard drive when you make the image, or you not restoring the ENTIRE image (all three partitions) when you restore to the SSD.

After you make the image, you should be able to explore the image in Macrium Reflect. If you included the entire hard drive when you made the image, it will show you three partitions within the image when you explore it.

Also, after you have the image copied on the hard drive, and you explore it and Macrium shows you three partition in the image - then you will want to delete all existing partitions on the SSD and restore the entire image - all three partitions - back to the unallocated space on the SSD.

I can't remember if you are using Kyhi's recovery drive to run Macrium Reflect from - if not, you should be. Before you restore the image back to the SSD, on Kyhi's recovery drive is MiniTool Partition Wizard. You can use that to delete all the partitions on the SSD. Although, I think Macrium Reflect also has the option to delete existing partitions before restoring.

Windows 10 Recovery Tools - Bootable Rescue Disk - Windows 10 Forums

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  6. Bogart99 Win User
    Yes that works fine.

Bogart99, Apr 7, 2016
  7. Bogart99 Win User
    Am just using Macrium reflect Your first point re not possibly using the entire HDD all I can say is that all the partition are checked before I try to create the image.

I will do another complete image and then check it on Macrium.
    I am sorry to be such a pain in this. Thanks

Bogart99, Apr 7, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Cloning to SSD

If you still have the existing image on the hard drive, just explore that - you should see three partitions in it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    4 if GPT, unless you don't count MSR as a partition.*Smile

Word Man, Apr 7, 2016
  10. OldMike65 Win User
    Please read NavyLCDR post and use Kyhi's Recovery Tools which he posted a link too. Put this program on a usb flash drive and boot it up. Then follow NavyLCDR instructions please.

OldMike65, Apr 7, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Even if he isn't using Kyhi's recovery, he can still look at the image with Macrium Reflect and see if it has all the partitions on it from the hard drive, or only the one Windows partition that got restored to the SSD.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    He showed a screen shot earlier, and it showed all the partitions, what he did report was that he could not use "Explore" because it was greyed out. If I remember correctly

Plus Kyhi's Recovery app is a better choice than just Macrium Reflect, as it has more options for OP to use.

OldMike65, Apr 7, 2016
  13. Bogart99 Win User

Cloning to SSD

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screenshot before doing the image

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screenshot after doing the image!

Not exactly an image is it.

Bogart99, Apr 7, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    It could be an image. It depends upon what is in the image file that was created. Are you possibly confusing an image with a clone?

An image takes the contents of the hard drive or SSD and writes all of it into one file. Sort of like a zip file except an image goes to the next level and includes partitions, not just folders and files.

A clone will take the contents of one drive, partitions and all, and write those contents to another drive.

Restoring a image is more than just copying the image file - it is extracting the contents of the image file to a hard drive or SSD.

And when you restore the image you can select to restore only one partition from it, or the entire hard drive that was included, or any combinations of partitions from it.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  15. OldMike65 Win User
    Still looks like you are NOT restoring the exact image to your SSD, as it only show your C partition. If you made a Complete Image of your OS drive from your old hard drive, then restored that image to your new SSD it would show all 4 partitions. Instead all I see in one partition.

OldMike65, Apr 7, 2016
Thema:

Cloning to SSD

1. Cloning to SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD

2. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  3. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  4. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  6. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  7. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  8. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  9. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...