Windows 10: Cloning to SSD

Discus and support Cloning to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Still looks like you are NOT restoring the exact image to your SSD, as it only show your C partition. If you made a Complete Image of your OS drive... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bogart99, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Word Man Win User

Cloning to SSD

Well, it looks good so far if that only represents up through NavyLCDR's Step 2. So far, we can't tell what's in the image unless OP goes to restore tab and selects the image (if there is one) on the SSD.

Word Man, Apr 7, 2016
  2. OldMike65 Win User

In that 1st image his C drive on old drive is 697.87GB his new SSD drive is only 465.76GB so I would think in order for the image to be copied on to his new SSD that the C drive image needs to be shrunk DOWN to fit on the new SSD. The C drive alone is taking up all the space on the new SSD

OldMike65, Apr 7, 2016
  3. Word Man Win User
    Their Disk 1 only has 66 GB of data on it. The image will only take up something less than that, depending on how high compression is set. At this point, if their Disk 2 is only storing a macrium image (of 42 GB), we have no way of knowing what's in the image until OP shows us. Again, I'm assuming this new set of screenshots only goes up through NavyLCDR's Step # 2.

Word Man, Apr 7, 2016
  4. OldMike65 Win User

Cloning to SSD

Then wish you could stick around long enough to actually HELP ....because I do see those same file sizes as you do, but sure looks like the ssd drive is being taken up entirely by his old c drive.....no room for the other partitions. also user might not know how to copy those partitions.....instead of just using his restore....which seems to be what he is doing at present.

OldMike65, Apr 7, 2016
  5. NavyLCDR New Member
    I believe at the last screenshot posted his SSD contained one NTFS partition which had only the image file written to it. The actual single image file.

NavyLCDR, Apr 7, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    If OP would post the screenshot I requested, I could help more. Gotta go get that annual performance review done now *Rolleyes. Perhaps, if I'm not busy walking down the road kicking rocks as a result, I can stick to it a little more this afternoon.*Wink

Word Man, Apr 7, 2016
  7. Bogart99 Win User
    This is exactly what I was thinking, so where is it, or me, going wrong?

Bogart99, Apr 7, 2016
  8. Word Man Win User

Cloning to SSD

Who knows?

Can you please post a screenshot of what shows when you click the restore tab in Macrium Reflect and select the image you should have stored on Disk 2 as a result of NavyLCDR's Step 2?

Otherwise, what step of NavyLCDR's post # 44 were you at when you posted the 2 screenshots of Macrium in post # 56?

Word Man, Apr 7, 2016
  9. Bogart99 Win User
    Hi

It looks like I am possibly confusing you guys somewhat, no surprise as I am totally confused.
    In the morning, when fresh, I will start the whole process again and will take screenshots at every stage.
    I am very grateful for all the time and effort you are putting into this.
    Regards

Bogart99, Apr 7, 2016
  10. Bogart99 Win User
    Cloning to SSD [​IMG]
    Just one more screenshot before I clear off to bed. Screenshot shows SSD (D) as having one primary partition of 41.29 GB
    Superimposed on that is the contents of the SSD which I get by opening up PC/Local Disk (D)
    This shows 4 partions as far as I can see.
    Why is partition 4 on the SSD at 59.74GB less than partition 4 on the HDD at 65.39GB
    Very confused. Goodnight from the UK

Bogart99, Apr 8, 2016
  11. NavyLCDR New Member
    It's due to compression. Macrium Reflect free is set to medium compression by default when making an image file. Again, it's like the zip file. The zip file would always be less than the total size of the extracted files and folders because of compression. You can get it even smaller by selecting advanced options when creating the image file and changing compression level from medium to maximum.

That being said, you have created the image file correctly because it has all 4 partitions in it. Now, you just need to restore it correctly to the SSD (after you copy the image file itself back to the hard drive).

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2016
  12. Bogart99 Win User
    Right here we go again.
    Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screenshot after copying image file from SSD back to HDD

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Opening Macrium reflect

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screenshot after clicking Restore tab which is between Disk Image and Log tabs

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screen shot after clicking restore image this gives source and destination as same disk.

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screenshot after clicking different destination disk

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screen after clicking next

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

Screen after clicking finish.

Up a creek again with no paddle.

Bogart99, Apr 8, 2016
  13. OldMike65 Win User

Cloning to SSD

Are you running Macrium Reflect from a bootable usb drive??? You should be.

OldMike65, Apr 8, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    And it should be Kyhi's recovery drive. And before you restore the image to the SSD, use MiniTool Partition Wizard on Kyhi's recovery drive to delete all partitions from the SSD. Then restore the image to the blank SSD using Macrium Reflect Free. Then disconnect the Hard drive, leave only the SSD connected, try to boot the computer from it. If it won't boot, boot again from Kyhi's recovery drive, run Macrium Reflect, and run the fix Windows starup problems utility from the restore menu.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2016
  15. Word Man Win User
    That's because, as is evident in your last 3 of the above screen shots, even though you opted to change target disk, you never actually changed it. Last shots show you restoring the image stored on Disk 1 to Disk 1. Restoring the image on Disk 1 to Disk 2 (your target SSD) should be doable (will require resizing last partition on the fly to fit onto smaller disk) from within the Windows environment, no need to run from MR rescue disk.

Word Man, Apr 8, 2016
Thema:

Cloning to SSD

1. Cloning to SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD

2. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  3. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  4. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  6. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  7. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  8. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  9. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...