Windows 10: Cloning to SSD

Discus and support Cloning to SSD in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; In that 1st image his C drive on old drive is 697.87GB his new SSD drive is only 465.76GB so I would think in order for the image to be copied on to... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Bogart99, Mar 24, 2016.

1. OldMike65 Win User

Cloning to SSD

Gee that's sounds like what I said 2 pages back.....but was told that didn't matter....interesting. *092

OldMike65, Apr 8, 2016
  2. Word Man Win User

Come on, Mike, I didn't see anyone say that didn't matter. Anyways, rereading what you said, I can see that you and I were kind of talking apples and oranges - I couldn't be sure whether OP was at Step 2 or where they were in NavyLCDR's stepwise process - and when you said an image was 697.87 GB that threw me off (I could see the entire disk was that size or thereabouts) - when you followed talking about copying the image (as opposed to restoring) that threw me further off. So let's just forget the semantics clash and please accept my apology assuming it was I who gave the impression that what you said didn't matter.*Nerd

Still, we're at a point where it looks to me like the biggest problem is OP appears to have nothing but a MR image file on their SSD and missed the switches to restore the MR image file from Disk1 to the SSD (Disk 2), during which they'll need to delete the existing partition from Disk 2, drag an drop the first 3 partitions onto Disk 2 and change properties (shrink) the 4th partitions before directing it to Disk 2 and, only after all that, clicking next.

Word Man, Apr 8, 2016
  3. OldMike65 Win User
    You do have a point, I did say restore the image in a earlier post, but I did say copy in that post. *Confused Sometimes I read too many posts, and confuse myself. *Smile No apology needed Kenn. Bottom line we are all trying to help the OP *Smile

This is exactly right and I agree with you 100% , now all that's needed is for the OP to understand. *Wink

OldMike65, Apr 8, 2016
  4. Bogart99 Win User

Cloning to SSD

No USB stick not plugged in. The Macrium Reflect is on the HDD

Bogart99, Apr 8, 2016
  5. OldMike65 Win User
    Ok then do exactly what Word Man told you in msg 75 ....I would have used a bootable usb, but can be done the way Word Man suggested also. Here is what he suggested to you.

Still, we're at a point where it looks to me like the biggest problem is OP appears to have nothing but a MR image file on their SSD and missed the switches to restore the MR image file from Disk1 to the SSD (Disk 2), during which they'll need to delete the existing partition from Disk 2, drag an drop the first 3 partitions onto Disk 2 and change properties (shrink) the 4th partitions before directing it to Disk 2 and, only after all that, clicking next.

OldMike65, Apr 8, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    @Bogart99 , let us know if my proposed corrections to what you did in MR don't make sense or are unclear. My proposed corrections should get your Macrium Image from Disk 1 (the HDD) restored to your Disk 2 (the HDD) where it has the same 4 partitions (having completed NavyLCDR's step #4) and then you can resume NavyLCDR's outlined process with step #5.

Word Man, Apr 8, 2016
  7. Bogart99 Win User
    Re doing it again. Hve got Macrium Reflect on a USB stick now.
    In section 4 of NavyLCDR it states

4. Using the restore function of Macrium Reflect Free, restore the ENTIRE image to the SSD (all partitions). Not a file copy - but restore.

Now does here ENTIRE image mean all the contents of C: disk 0
    and do I delete the partition in disk 1 on the SSD first?

If I select the restore function it says select an image file to restore no idea what image it wants

Bogart99, Apr 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

Cloning to SSD

Inside the image file stored on your hard drive there should be 3 or 4 partitions. You want to restore all 3 or 4 of those partitions that are in the image file to the SSD. And yes, you should delete all partitions on the SSD before you restore the partitions from the image file to it. It should be completely unallocated space.

NavyLCDR, Apr 8, 2016
  9. Word Man Win User
    @Bogart99 , here is the Macrium knowledge base section explaining how to change destination and modify properties of restored partitions, what you need to do to restore a complete disk image from one disk to another. Pay particular attention to items numbered 3 and 4 - as already pointed out to you in this thread: http://knowledgebase.macrium.com/dis...ion+properties

Word Man, Apr 9, 2016
  10. pipme Win User
    A further suggestion.

Cloning a disk Cloning a disk - KnowledgeBase - Macrium Reflect Knowledgebase

NB. See Cloning Options I suggest Intelligent sector copy and in this case Not Rapid delta clone.

When starting m/c with cloned ssd check boot menu ensure ssd is 1st boot device. If I swap my system SSD for another the m/c only boots from the new one if I set it as 1st boot device otherwise 'No operating system' or words to that effect - So even using same connections (I have 4 physical drives in m/c) does not automatically set the fresh drive as the boot drive.
    Be sure you actually know which is which, because Macrium Reflect says :-
    Important
    Windows cannot boot from a USB connected drive. This is a restriction imposed by Windows. If you clone your system disk to a USB connected external drive then, to boot your clone, the physical disk must be removed from the USB caddy and attached to your Motherboard SATA port.

Don't forget RTFM, for it is usually the operator at fault. Taking a short cut to complete confusion.

Don't start repairing something which is not broken.
    -0-

pipme, Apr 9, 2016
  11. Bogart99 Win User
    Hi again. Making some progress I think here follows another set of screen shots. I downloaded a copy of the macrium restore notes.

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

This is after clicking image restore and browse for an image file to restore

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

This after selecting different target disk and dragging the 4 partitions across

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

I think the above is obvious

All seems ok until shortly after starting I get this message

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

If I then click okay I get this

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

This last screenshot is after closing Macrium down and reopening it.

Cloning to SSD [​IMG]

On the screen where it offers you the option of setting the parameters of the restored partion I have tried altering the size but with same results. You must be sick of me because I am sick of it*Sick

Bogart99, Apr 10, 2016
  12. OldMike65 Win User
    Your getting closer, but still making mistakes. Try just dragging your 1st 3 partitions unto your SSD, do not drag your C: drive. What you did was drag or copy all 4 partitions at once. Try just dragging only the 1st 3 ......
    Of course you are going to have to remove those 2 partitions on your SSD before trying again.

OldMike65, Apr 10, 2016
  13. Word Man Win User

Cloning to SSD

@Bogart99 , it looks to me like the big mistake is that the image source is the same disk that you're trying to do the restore to!

That doesn't compute....

NavyLCDR asked you to move the macrium image you created FROM the SSD TO the HDD and then use the image on the HDD as the SOURCE and restore it to the SSD.

The "broken pipe" basically amounts to you overwriting the disk that had your source image on it.

However, agreed, you are getting CLOSER, but no cigar yet!*Smile

Word Man, Apr 10, 2016
  14. NavyLCDR New Member
    I don't think so. His second screenshot shows the image source disk being the hard disk drive and the destination disk being the SSD. It seems like the glitch was some sort of disk controller issue breaking communication with the source disk SSD. Not sure what. OldMike65's suggestion of restoring it in smaller chunks is a good one. Maybe even doing it just one partition at a time.

Wipe the SSD again, deleting all partitions. Then maybe taking OldMike65's suggestion even one step further, drag, drop and restore the first partition only. If that succeeds, drag, drop and restore the 2nd partition and so on. Just DO NOT WIPE the SSD between those operations! Only wipe it once before you drag and drop the first partition! I'm not seeing any need to adjust the 4th (C: drive) partition properties. I would just drag and drop and restore it last. If you end up with free space at the end of the SSD after that, use MiniTool Patition Wizard to expand the C: drive into the free space after everything else has been done, is booting, and working.

NavyLCDR, Apr 10, 2016
  15. Word Man Win User
    Well crap, my bad! Sorry about that guys...*Redface Take your pick of theories, A) I'm an idiot, or B) I was caffeine deprived at the time.

Word Man, Apr 10, 2016
Thema:

Cloning to SSD

1. Cloning to SSD - Similar Threads - Cloning SSD

2. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  3. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  4. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  6. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  7. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  8. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...
  9. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  10. Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Bitlocker keeps showing up after the i've changed boot sequence to cloned SSD: I was cloning my HDD to my SSD. Now before cloning I disabled BitLocker and then clone the drive. After cloning was completed, I change the boot sequence to boot from HDD to the SSD. However bitlocker prompt kicked in asking my to enter the password. And I entered the...