Windows 10: cloning

Discus and support cloning in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; When I clone my hdd do I clone "system reserved" with the "c" drive? What is "system reserved"? 52694 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by robert, Jun 7, 2016.

1. robert Win User

cloning

When I clone my hdd do I clone "system reserved" with the "c" drive? What is "system reserved"?

:)

robert, Jun 7, 2016

2. CLONE, CLONE, CLONE !

Hello everybody,

Before upgrading, clone your system disk !

I read too many posts from people having upgraded and who cannot rollback with the W10 rollback function.

If only they haved cloned...

Two solutions are better than one.

Thierry DUGUET, Jun 7, 2016
  3. qinada Win User
    Clone a 1 Tb drive to a 512 Mb SSC

Hi Vaughn,

You can
    clone larger HDD to small SSD
    with a professional disk cloning software as long as the used space is smaller than the SSD. You will not worry it will clone the unused space unless you use sector by sector clone mode.

I suggest you to clone your HDD to SSD with AOMEI Backupper, if the used space is larger than the SSD, you can clone only the OS to SSD and keep the HDD as data storage. This software is very easy to operate.

qinada, Jun 7, 2016
  4. Kyhi Win User

cloning

clone the whole disk........
    Including every partition...

Kyhi, Jun 7, 2016
  5. The Boot Manager and Boot Configuration Data : When your computer boots, the Windows Boot Manager starts up and reads the boot data from the Boot Configuration Data (BCD) Store. Your computer boots the boot loader off the System Reserved partition, and it boots Windows from your system drive

gijoetech1, Jun 7, 2016
  6. Kyhi Win User
    Well, not really true... but the Reserved Partition is a very small partition used by the System...
    Usually found on UEFI systems...

The System or EFI partitions are the actual boot partitions..

Kyhi, Jun 7, 2016
  7. not when its being installed for the first time lol would you mind explaining to me if you delete the system reserved partition Windows 7 will not boot
    but its ok cool no problem

gijoetech1, Jun 7, 2016
  8. RolandJS Win User

cloning

If I understand scuttlebutt in several forums, one can clone an entire hard-drive and cannot not clone any particular partition by itself or in clumps. One can make full images of each and every partition and keep those images on any external media -- I prefer 1-3TB ext platter HDs.
    Yep, two of my three Windows 7 running PCs have a System Reserved partition; I don't know why my third computer does not.

RolandJS, Jun 7, 2016
  9. NavyLCDR New Member
    On a legacy bios system, the System Reserved partition is the partition the bios boots from. In the standard, legacy bios setup, without the user modifying anything, two partitions will be required to boot Windows - the System Reserved partition (which will be labelled as the system partition in disk management) and the OS partition (which will be labelled as the boot partition in disk management). Both must be cloned to make the target drive bootable. It is possible, on a legacy bios system, to move the BCD to the boot partition containing to operating system, and in that case, only one partition is required.

This is assuming that you don't want the functions required by the recovery partition.

On a UEFI system, the System Reserved partition is replaced by the EFI system partition. And there will be an additional empty partition which does now show up in Disk Management called a Microsoft System Reserved (MSR) partition which does exactly what it name suggest - reserved by Microsoft for future use.

Native disk management in Windows 10 is a bit weird - the "System" partition is the one the computer (bios or UEFI) boots from and the "Boot" partition is the partition that contains the operating system after the system boots from the "system" partition.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2016
  10. Kyhi Win User
    I believe this is a Windows 10 Forum and I assumed the question being asked was Windows 10 Related...

The RESERVE partition is use as scratch when installing, upgrading or recovering the Windows 8/8.1/10 OS

As many upgrades have FAILED due to the Reserve partition missing.....

11. NavyLCDR New Member
    Which "reserved" partition? If the System Reserved partition is too small, then an upgrade will fail. I have never seen an upgrade fail due to a missing "Microsoft System Reserved" (MSR) partition missing.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2016
  12. Kyhi Win User
    you have a system MBR and a system reserved UEFI partition...

so maybe confusing in the naming

Not that it really matters anyway..........

Clone the Whole Disk "every partition"

some look to argue over the small crap....

13. NavyLCDR New Member

cloning

Delete the Microsoft System Reserved partition on a UEFI booting system and nothing will happen. Delete the System Reserved partition on a legacy bios system and the computer will likely fail to boot into Windows.

NavyLCDR, Jun 7, 2016
  14. Kyhi Win User
    I never said to Delete any partition....

15. RolandJS Win User
    Yes, this is a Windows 10 forum, however, many many ideas, concepts, practices [such as backing up/restoring] run across all Windows from Windows 3.0 [remember TalGrass anyone?] to WFW311 [remember ZipDrive anyone?] to Windows 95/98SE - all the way to Windows 7, 8+ & 10. While the buttons, clicks, keystrokes, menu names, folder names, etc. vary -- the principles remain.

RolandJS, Jun 7, 2016
Thema:

cloning

1. cloning - Similar Threads - cloning

2. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present: I have a cloned drive E that backs up the main drive C every night.When I do a search in the C: drive, it responds with those matching files in the E drive only.I've played with the index locations and nothing is selected for E:...
  3. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present: I have a cloned drive E that backs up the main drive C every night.When I do a search in the C: drive, it responds with those matching files in the E drive only.I've played with the index locations and nothing is selected for E:...
  4. File Explorer win10 search files when a cloned drive E is present

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
  5. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  6. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280: Scared to death of catastrophic Op Sys SSD failure Only one slot on motherboard for SSD m.2 2280 I’m hoping this project of me making an exact copy of my hard drive which only has operating system and a couple of programs on it. I will be able to achieve if this one fails...
  7. Need to clone SSD opsys with only one M2.2280

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  8. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  9. Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.

Got a new SSD and cloned old one onto new one, having issues with windows installation.: I bought a PC from Apex Gaming PCs. It came with a small 256 gb SSD, which I had to upgrade in order to download more games. I upgraded to a 2tb drive, and used a cloning software to copy the first to the latter. Upon boot with new drive, it gave me an error upon startup and...
  10. Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Seeking disk cloning software for Windows 10 SSD boot drive: I am looking for disk cloning software, and I'm shocked at how hard it is to learn anything about the available products. My situation: * I have an old Samsung 256GB 845DC EVO SSD. This is a Windows 10 boot disk. * I want to replace it with a new Samsung 512GB 870 EVO SSD. *...