Windows 10: Close down disabled at recent update

Discus and support Close down disabled at recent update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; As of mid november my Generic PC (W10 Pro) has not been shutting down when instructed: instead (I guess, because I've never used the function) it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Nosirrah762, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Close down disabled at recent update

As of mid november my Generic PC (W10 Pro) has not been shutting down when instructed: instead (I guess, because I've never used the function) it hibernates: i.e. power light off, no HDD activity but reawakens in response to any keypress, when it goes through the normal full boot procedure. I've checked that my power settings still require it to 'shut down' and I've checked that, as far as I can tell, there are no applications or processes active immediately prior to the shutdown command (other than task manager loaded for the purpose of checking!). Also, it 'sleeps' properly on demand, but this is a 'deeper sleep'! As I haven't made interventions (that I know of) to cause this change in behaviour, I take it this is the consequence of an MS update? Clues, anyone, please?
    Phil Harrison

:)

Nosirrah762, Dec 17, 2017
  2. Oeverman Win User

Startup after Windows Update

Startup after Windows Update

After the recent big Windows Update my computer starts with some recently closed programs.

These programs have been properly closed by me after which I shut down the computer. When I start the computer the next morning these programs are automatically opened. I find this a nuisance.

How can I correct this.

Oeverman, Dec 17, 2017
  3. after ms updates, booklet not shutting down completely

Recently, I was getting occassional BSODs upon shutting down Windows. Did a restore, and no more BSODs. Have disabled MS updates for the moment.

hemantkamat, Dec 17, 2017
  4. Mooly Win User

Close down disabled at recent update

Have you looked at the full power plan settings ?

Look at step 9 here and expand the little + symbol against 'Power Buttons and Lid'. From there you can confirm that all the settings are as you wish, if any are not then select the correct one from the dropdown menu and when done click 'apply' at the bottom.

Change Power Plan Settings in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Other than that.........

Mooly, Dec 17, 2017
  5. Thanks Mooly. I confirm that the advanced options per #9 do indeed require the PC to shut down when the 'shut down' option is clicked. So I need other ideas.......
    Phil Harrison

Nosirrah762, Dec 17, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
  7. Eagle51 Win User
    Check this tutorial to turn off Fast Startup & Hibernation - Turn On or Off Fast Startup in Windows 10 Performance Maintenance Tutorials

Eagle51, Dec 17, 2017
  8. Close down disabled at recent update

Thank you Spunk and Eagle 51. At the tutorial there is a 'tip' - if you want to disable hibernate but not fast start, reduce your hiberfile.sys file size. I did that, more than halving the size of the reported hiberfile.sys file and had the unexpected double consequence a) the substitution of hibernate for shut down was not cured, but b) fast start (presumably) had my PC booting quicker than before!!! I'll try a full disabling and report back. Either of you know why this hibernating behaviour should suddenly appear out of the blue after an MS Update?
    Happy Christmas
    Phil Harrison

Nosirrah762, Dec 19, 2017
  9. Worked fine after two or three sessions! Don't know why there was the delay.

Thanks Guys

Nosirrah762, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Close down disabled at recent update

1. Close down disabled at recent update - Similar Threads - Close down disabled

2. Do recent updates prevent reopening closed tabs?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Do recent updates prevent reopening closed tabs?: I am using Windows 10, I'm quite happy with it and see no reason to change. However, a glitch has developed in that, it seems every time Google updates something not sure why, I haven't asked them to update anything, it closes all of my open tabs. This has, traditionally, not...
  3. Issues with loading & closing anything after recent update

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Issues with loading & closing anything after recent update: So last updates were KB5009543, KB890830, KB5010793 + KB5008876 & ever since everything i open & close, no longer does so quickly, it's like it fades to open then fades to close.It's damn frustrating, and unfortunately I don't know how it was turned on, or why for that...
  4. Issues with loading & closing anything after recent update

in Windows 10 Customization
    Issues with loading & closing anything after recent update: So last updates were KB5009543, KB890830, KB5010793 + KB5008876 & ever since everything i open & close, no longer does so quickly, it's like it fades to open then fades to close.It's damn frustrating, and unfortunately I don't know how it was turned on, or why for that...
  5. How to disable or delete recently closed or recent activity in search window

in Cortana
    How to disable or delete recently closed or recent activity in search window: [IMG] Data persists even when I delete programs. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-disable-or-delete-recently-closed-or-recent/8256dbdc-6b3a-4b2e-ab5c-7e2a32716d29"
  6. Update & Close Down but nothing happens

Update & Close Down but nothing happens: For the past 2 days I have received the notice upon clicking the shut down icon "update and shut down", but nothing happens there is no update the computer shuts down as usual. When I start the computer in the morning, it starts as normal without any notice that updates are...
  7. Google+ Closing Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Google+ Closing Down: Just got email from Google telling me that, as a user, they wish to inform me that google+ is closing down in April. I have looked all over but cant tell if this includes Google Drive, as I pay for storage of thousands of images. 126500
  8. Closing down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Closing down: When I click close, message says 'closing down' but then clicks back on a second later. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/closing-down/cb60a79a-1a5b-4c1c-ac1c-b7e46b5cac35
  9. closing down problem

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    closing down problem: when closing down the laptop I get this box popping up with this message inside: google search return googledrivesync.exe application error the instruction at 0*000000003BB5B30 referenced memory at 0*FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF could not be read...
  10. Update Orchestrator Service is not closing down

Update Orchestrator Service is not closing down: I cannot change the start parameters of my windows update orchestrator service nor is the closing down. I tried closing it down from the task scheduler but it wont work because it is saying that I don't have the permission to do so. There is a single account on this PC i.e....