Windows 10: Close / Finalize DVD Disc

Discus and support Close / Finalize DVD Disc in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; HI all Have recorded onto DVD-r disc but cannot find any means of closing / finalizing the disc which means we cannot play the disc on our DVD... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by redrowsufferer, Sep 10, 2015.

1. Close / Finalize DVD Disc

HI all

Have recorded onto DVD-r disc but cannot find any means of closing / finalizing the disc which means we cannot play the disc on our DVD player. We have just installed the windows 10 update but cant find how to do it.

Cheers

:)

redrowsufferer, Sep 10, 2015

2. Getting a DVD/CD ready to be recorded on

For best compatibility especially with stand-alone CD/DVD players you should select "With a CD/DVD player" (obviously, as the name suggests). With this you can only burn once per CD-R or DVD-R, so you need to select all your data to ideally fill the disc
    at one go.

On the other hand "Like a USB Flash Drive" will not close/finalize the disc and even though you might be using a CD-R or DVD-R instead of RW, it'll still allow you to add files with subsequent burning sessions on the same disc (eventually when the disc is
    full it'll be closed/finalized). Not all players can handle such discs though.

RobertJWin, Sep 10, 2015
  3. Linney Win User
    Windows 10 Cant read DVD-RW disc in VR format on HP 8530w pro laptop or Dell Optiplex 380

Will this DVD play in other operating systems (perhaps in a friend's or relatives machine)?

It might be something like the following that is your problem?

Was the DVD Finalized in the consumer electronics DVD recorder before you tried to play the DVD in a Windows machine?

When you try to use DVD-Rs or DVD-RWs interchangeably, a consumer electronics DVD player or DVD recorder may be incompatible with the DVD drive in a Windows Vista-based computer

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/931698

Close or finalize a CD or DVD

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-au/windows-vista/close-or-finalize-a-cd-or-dvd

A Step by Step Guide for Dealing With Unfinalized DVD Discs

A Step by Step Guide for Dealing With Unfinalized DVD Discs

Linney, Sep 10, 2015
  4. Ztruker Win User

Close / Finalize DVD Disc

Does this work?
    To close a disc session manually

• Open Computer by clicking the Start button
      Close / Finalize DVD Disc [​IMG]
      , and then clicking Computer.
    • In Windows Explorer, click the disc burner drive, and then click Close session on the toolbar.
      The session will be closed, so the disc can be used in other computers.

Ztruker, Sep 11, 2015
  5. Berton Win User
    When I create data discs from within File Explorer on Win8.1 and Win10 I usually am given a choice of using the disc on other computers or as a USB drive which allows working with the data as if it was a USB drive. Usually an R is Recordable once, become the same as a ROM disc. Windows Explorer on Win7 and earlier did the same for me. Some Optical disc recording programs can format the discs differently, make them RW/ReWriteable for adding more data later.

Berton, Sep 11, 2015
  6. dgitlin Win User
    I have been trying to create a DVD with some photos and while they can be read on Windows 10 computers, they cannot be read on my DVD player. This is because the DVD write session has not been closed, as evidenced by the fact I can add more photos from my computer. The settings for the recording are to close the session after a mastered burn, but I don't see how to choose mastered - I just get UDF. Also the suggestion to get a close the session from the toolbar doesn't work in Windows 10. So, the question remains: how do I close a DVD session (or indicate I want to create a mastered burn). Thanks.

dgitlin, Nov 1, 2015
  7. evanjva1 Win User
    Use Infrarecorder to close (finalize) disk so you can use it on a DVD player. Get it from Ninite

evanjva1, Jul 18, 2017
  8. Close / Finalize DVD Disc

Thank you evanjva1. This worked well. *092

namitutonka, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Close / Finalize DVD Disc

1. Close / Finalize DVD Disc - Similar Threads - Close Finalize DVD

2. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  3. DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    DVD drive cannot read DVD discs, read only CD discs.: I'm using DVD RW drive. I was not used it for a while and now when I tried to use it it looks like it read only CD discs when show size is 0, but can play it as expected. Regarding DVD discs, the lamp is blinking but it show as disc is empty,Edition Windows 10 Home Version...
  4. Cannot finalize DVD after burning

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Cannot finalize DVD after burning: I burn either a DVD-R or DVD+R. I want to finalize/master the DVD such that noone else can add files to it. Thought this was done automatically if I say to use disc as CD/DVD vs USB, but I can add files to it no matter how many times I eject it....
  5. Cannot finalize DVD after burning

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Cannot finalize DVD after burning: I burn either a DVD-R or DVD+R. I want to finalize/master the DVD such that noone else can add files to it. Thought this was done automatically if I say to use disc as CD/DVD vs USB, but I can add files to it no matter how many times I eject it....
  6. Cannot finalize DVD after burning

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  7. DVD RAM discs

DVD RAM discs: Hi, ;Does anyone know how to get windows to recognize DVD RAM discs. My dvd drive is HL-DT-ST-DVDRAM-GUE1,my computer ASUS A540L,with latest windows version. Windows shows invalid directory.; I know there is data on it but windows shows empty folder and will not play.; Any...
  8. How can I FINALIZE a disc after writing to it in Win10? Finalized and Closed session ARE...

How can I FINALIZE a disc after writing to it in Win10? Finalized and Closed session ARE...: NOTE: This question has been asked many times but never really answered by Microsoft. Again, closing a session and finalizing are not the same, PLEASE do not answer the question if you don't know the difference. Background: Many government agencies require that writable...
  9. Finalizing a DVD in Windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Finalizing a DVD in Windows 10: I have burned a video onto a DVD-R disk, but i am unable to finalize it to play it back on my DVD player. I have googled how to do it and I have read that Windows automatically closes the session when you eject the disk, but it didn't and my DVD player would not play the...
  10. DVD recording wont finalize

in Windows 10 Support
    DVD recording wont finalize: Hi all Advice please. I am trying to burn a DVD+R RW Philips DVD with some pic's for a friend. I've done this loads of times before, albeit in the past, and never had a problem. I am choosing CD/DVD in burn option not USB. I've tried different software and produced both...