Windows 10: closing personalization window in CMD

Discus and support closing personalization window in CMD in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; hi. I make a little script to switch the themes back and forth coz since 9926 a custom theme F*cks up the whole windows until I call the default and... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by My1, Mar 1, 2015.

1. MY1
    My1 Win User

closing personalization window in CMD

hi. I make a little script to switch the themes back and forth coz since 9926 a custom theme F*cks up the whole windows until I call the default and restart explorer and I work on a CMD working on that, but I have one little problem.

at sevenforums I read that this line
    Code: taskkill /fi "WINDOWTITLE eq Personalization"[/quote] can kill the Personalization Window, as it seems it doesnt work on 10 (it says no windows found for the filter), but with task manager I can precisely select that window and shut it off, can someone help me on this?

:)

2. Guthrie Win User

running cmd fails - only quick appearance...

Thanks - I had run SFC already, no problems. And starting cmd from ps> has same result. Making a copy and renaming cmd to cmd2, same effect when trying to run cmd2.

DISM - has an interesting result. If I run it, then start cmd from that, it runs, says "ok", and then starting cmd from that same PS, it flashes, and then comes back to PS, but in a small window (The original window closes, a new small PS window appears).
    In this case the end result is a re-appearance of the original (parent) PS window, but smaller.

This is similar to starting cmd from run line, except there it opens a cmd normal window, that quickly closes and is replaced by a small one (like the small PS window), and then that small cmd window closes.

Guthrie, Mar 1, 2015
  3. CMD window appears and disappears

Ok, anyway, this is what I did to make the cmd windows not to close:

When i double click ipconfig.exe, it closes autmatically but when

opened cmd from the start menu and typed: C:\Windows\System32\ipconfig.exe

it didn't close.

Hope this helps.

Srikanthsd, Mar 1, 2015
  4. Mystere Win User

can kill the Personalization Window, as it seems it doesnt work on 10 (it says no windows found for the filter), but with task manager I can precisely select that window and shut it off, can someone help me on this?[/quote] It does work, but only from an elevated command prompt (run as administrator). Under Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 apps don't have access to other processes information if they're not elevated.

Mystere, Mar 1, 2015
  5. MY1
    My1 Win User
    doesnt look like it.
    I just opened an admin CMD by win+X and a personalization window by the obvious, aka right click desktop an so on.

and I still got no results for the criteria...

6. Mystere Win User
    It works for me when I type that exact command into an elevated command prompt, and it closes the window. Do you, by any chance, have a localized version?

Mystere, Mar 1, 2015
  7. MY1
    My1 Win User
    while I did have it on german once I hopped back to English coz of cortana.
    the only thing that isnt in English is the kb layout, coz I cant remember the Symbols on a US keyboard.

8. Mystere Win User

Well, I don't know what to tell you. It work for me with my standard English installation.

Mystere, Mar 1, 2015
  9. MY1
    My1 Win User
    Here's a shot of it happening, with the admin prompt and everything...

10. Mystere Win User
    Since it seems you've done at least some fiddling with your system, have you done things like run explorer as an administrator or any other kinds of tweaks? Did you disable UAC?

You can also do a TASKLIST /V and it should list the tasks along with any Actual Window Titles that the kernel sees.

Mystere, Mar 1, 2015
  11. MY1
    My1 Win User
    I usually keep UAC intact, and so it is here.
    also according to task Manager the Explorer runs as , which is me.
    My Win10 Mods are AeroGlass for Windows 10, a mod to make the Metro Window frames look like the ons of any other software (both provided by bigmuscle on MSFN) and a new Theme

12. Mystere Win User
    Well, it sounds like you've done mods that modify window handling, which is probably the cause of your issues. Try the Tasklist I listed above. I don't know how your mods work, but they may be "hosting" the window in a different window, and thus not publishing the Window title as the normal frame would.

Mystere, Mar 1, 2015
  13. MY1
    My1 Win User

well quite some things, as well as my explorer process usually shows N/A (probably coz it's the one that connects to the desktop)

also window handling cant be completely disturbed, coz I can still snipe that window down with taskmanager...

14. Mystere Win User
    Well, whatever the issue is... Taskkill can only work with whatever is listed in the process window title. If it's not there, it can't find it.

So something is stealing your window title... and it doesn't do it on a normal vanilla system.

Mystere, Mar 1, 2015
  15. MY1
    My1 Win User
    makes sense, but it is weird that the task Manager can still snipe the window fine...

Thema:

1. closing personalization window in CMD - Similar Threads - closing personalization window

2. CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.: My Laptop is fine i didnt download any viruses, Didnt mess with system files nor modify it. After a normal restart, A message that pops up for half a second saying "This app wont work on this computer" Or something like that The messages appears and disappears too fast its...
  3. CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.: My Laptop is fine i didnt download any viruses, Didnt mess with system files nor modify it. After a normal restart, A message that pops up for half a second saying "This app wont work on this computer" Or something like that The messages appears and disappears too fast its...
  4. CMD and PowerShell Closing after a couple of seconds, CMD and Powershell closing.

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Windows CMD opened application using START - application closes when CMD window closes.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows CMD opened application using START - application closes when CMD window closes.: In my environment I cannot do anything until I'm connected to my company's VPN. So, there are several apps that I don't want to start until I'm connected: Outlook, OneDrive and Teams. I created a simple BAT file that I execute after I am connected. I've been using this for...
  6. Windows CMD opened application using START - application closes when CMD window closes.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows CMD opened application using START - application closes when CMD window closes.: In my environment I cannot do anything until I'm connected to my company's VPN. So, there are several apps that I don't want to start until I'm connected: Outlook, OneDrive and Teams. I created a simple BAT file that I execute after I am connected. I've been using this for...
  7. Windows CMD opened application using START - application closes when CMD window closes.

in Windows 10 Gaming
  8. CMD And PowerShell Open And Close

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD And PowerShell Open And Close: I was playing a game and out of nowhere my game tabbed out and cmd flashed open and closed immediately and seconds later PowerShell did the same thing. I thought nothing of it so I kept playing and then it kept happening after every game. I haven't updated anything and i...
  9. cmd closes with right click

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    cmd closes with right click: When I press right click on the mouse the cmd window closes. This is on Windows 10 Professional 64 bit. Any ideea? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-closes-with-right-click/a928ea83-1b56-4211-b9ed-44b26efbc611
  10. CMD window closing as soon as opened

in Windows 10 Support
    CMD window closing as soon as opened: This just started about two weeks ago. As soon as use the CMD command the window closes right away. Doing some research, I think possibly it occurred after my computer got infected with a miner. My antivirus killed it right away and dozens of full scans indicate I am virus...