Windows 10: CMD prompt opens to X:

Discus and support CMD prompt opens to X: in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all. Just upgraded to Windows 10 and for some reason, my cmd prompt opens to X:. I'm not sure why it does that, but if I launch in Admin mode, it... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lonepalm, Aug 4, 2015.

1. lonepalm Win User

CMD prompt opens to X:

Hi all. Just upgraded to Windows 10 and for some reason, my cmd prompt opens to X:. I'm not sure why it does that, but if I launch in Admin mode, it usually opens to C:[yada yada]. I'm not sure if this is the cause of many problems I am having with Python, pip, etc all crashing, but that's another question for another thread.

Does anyone know why cmd opens to X and how I can stop that? Seems like it shouldn't do that.

:)

lonepalm, Aug 4, 2015
  2. Koutz Win User

Cmd prompt doesn't open

But what to do if the copy to... option greyed out?

Koutz, Aug 4, 2015
  3. Cmd prompt doesn't open

In this case, we recommend that you continue using the new user account and transfer your files from your current user/local account. To do this, simply follow the steps provided by
    Arul_D in this
    thread
    which was posted on May 23, 2016.

If you have questions, feel free to post them on this thread.

Jefferson Ore, Aug 4, 2015
  4. swarfega Win User

CMD prompt opens to X:

I can't think why it would behave like that it. Is it causing you problems?

swarfega, Aug 4, 2015
  5. lonepalm Win User
    I'm sorry. I think I left out a lot of what I now think is important information. I am on Active Directory and after doing some more research, it appears that cmd.exe is set to open to my user directory via AD. So I guess this is acting like it is supposed to...apparently...it just didn't do that before when I was on Win7.

The problems I'm having are with Python and pip and I thought maybe cmd opening to X contributed to that in some way, but I don't think it is. I will start a new thread here regarding Python and pip, but I realize that may be better suited for their specific forums.

lonepalm, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

CMD prompt opens to X:

1. CMD prompt opens to X: - Similar Threads - CMD prompt opens

2. Weird cmd prompt opening

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Weird cmd prompt opening: So a weird cmd prompt opened and closes I recently downloaded a dodgy file but then deleted it I ran a malware bytes scan is there still a possibilty of it being a virus?...
  3. Weird cmd prompt opening

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Weird cmd prompt opening: So a weird cmd prompt opened and closes I recently downloaded a dodgy file but then deleted it I ran a malware bytes scan is there still a possibilty of it being a virus?...
  4. CMD prompt

CMD prompt: My user account is KENNETH\Local Account\Administrator.When I try to use CMD and open as administrator, it does not open as system32, but shows C:\Users\Administrator.Help please....
  5. CMD Prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    CMD Prompt: Hi,I have several strange things happening recently. I am running Windows 11 and have not had a problem until the last week or so. I tried running DISM and SFC but I can't launch the Command Prompt with Admin rights from Search. It seems to launch via Task Manager but the App...
  6. CMD Prompt

CMD Prompt: Hi,I have several strange things happening recently. I am running Windows 11 and have not had a problem until the last week or so. I tried running DISM and SFC but I can't launch the Command Prompt with Admin rights from Search. It seems to launch via Task Manager but the App...
  7. random cmd prompt keeps opening

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    random cmd prompt keeps opening: So when I'm using the computer minding my own business a random cmd prompt keeps opening with nothing written on it at the link on top of it it says the usual cmd prompt but then it says something like nutdsr I think so i will try to post a screenshot of it if I can. I'm just...
  8. Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Cmd prompt and cmd prompt csscript.exe: Hello Lovely people,Im from the Netherlands so my english isnt that very good,But couple of days when i start my up i got an cmd prompt but its empty so it doesnt say anything it stays a few sec and then it goes away and then i get the cmd prompt but with cscript.exe and then...
  9. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Customization
    Cmd prompt: I had win 10 setup so that shift right click context menus showed cmd prompt, as powershell does a lousy job with batch files, which I use a lot. Latest update killed that setting and I can't get it back. None of the suggestions on the web are working. So two questions:...
  10. Cmd prompt

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Cmd prompt: My cmd prompt isn't opening for my file (use for Minecraft modding) The option doesn't even show up to use it all that shows up is powershell https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/cmd-prompt/5f084111-fa7d-4cdd-b450-68c430dcd7b0