Windows 10: C'mon Ms let XP users upgrade too W10 could be the REAL XP killer

Discus and support C'mon Ms let XP users upgrade too W10 could be the REAL XP killer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi there XP is STILL being run on quite a lot of computers - and the longer this goes on the security risks will get bigger. Ms has given so much... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by jimbo45, Aug 2, 2015.

1. jimbo45 Win User

C'mon Ms let XP users upgrade too W10 could be the REAL XP killer

Hi there

XP is STILL being run on quite a lot of computers - and the longer this goes on the security risks will get bigger.

Ms has given so much away now why don't they just go that little bit extra and allow XP users to update -- They could easily do it by validating the XP key before activating a Clean W10 upgrade.

Ms has always said it wants people to move away from XP -- well HELP THEM DO IT.

This would KILL XP quicker than almost anything else - Ms would also make money too -- for example people would probably upgrade Office to use Outlook as Outlook Express wouldn't work any more plus all the other services Ms is flogging now.

Cheers
    jimbo

:)

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2015

2. How to change wifi password on Windows 10?

Here we are over two years later and nothing has changed. Resetting the wifi password on Windows 10 is still stupidly complex. It was easier back in the XP days! C'mon MS, really? Let's fix this.

PapaJon_s1, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Chas V Win User
    Windows 10 Compatibility with Windows 7 Ultimate/Windows XP Mode programs

Currently running Windows 7 Ultimate and Windows Virtual XP. Need the XP for one "Expensive" program that won't load in W7. Will I lose the XP Mode if I upgrade to W10? There are also differences of opinion whether Office 2007 Professional is compatible
    with W10. I think my upgrade to Office 2010 Pro is still available, but I would lose my ability to scan ".tif" files. Can I still use MS Outlook in W10 as I did not like WLM at all? Can I still run Quicken 2010 Deluxe in W10? Is there a compatibility tool
    available to check my program compatibility before I upgrade?

Chas V, Aug 2, 2015
  4. AEM
    aem Win User

MS won't, they are not going to want to hear complaints that old machines running slow with 10.

5. Omega Win User
    People had their chance with the Insider Program to get Windows 10 for free. Even if they're forced to be on Insider builds, it's still a better situation than still being on XP.

Omega, Aug 2, 2015
  6. Yup, I'm with aem.

It's likely that most computers still running XP either won't run Windows 10 or will run it really badly.

Imagine the customer service resources swallowed up trying to get XP users and their crappy machines on track!

teachermark, Aug 2, 2015
  7. jimbo45 Win User
    Hi there

Not always true -- I updated a cheap and nasty netbook with an old ATOM processor that really ran W7 HORRIBLY, although XP ran fine-- W10 ran OK too. Netbook 2GB RAM running W10 x-86 PRO. I upgraded to W7 first thinking W10 would be too difficult -- not a bit of it. W7 WAS A DOG on that machine, but W10 fine.

Colleague really pleased -- Netbook used for Office (installed Office 2016 trial too) / Internet browsing / bit of email and some movie watching with VLC media player. Perfect for what the guy wants to do with it --why chuck it in the bin.

Some of those old machines can run W10 quite nicely - often a lot better than W7 - and you can breathe a lot of life into these machines by putting in an SSD instead of the cheap and REALLY nasty HDD.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Aug 2, 2015
  8. AEM
    aem Win User

Don't put all your eggs in the basket yet. Any new OS install on the worst of worst machine will run fine but wait for the coming weeks.

I've worked with old machine and installed 7 on them, ran fine until weeks later when patches are being applied. They then came to a complete stop.

9. BunnyJ New Member
    Xp is no longer supported.. so why would MS waste both time and money getting Win10 ready/tested for that upgrade?? I could see it if it were supported but it's not. And keep in mind that the hardware requirements for Xp are not likely satisfactory to support WIn10.

BunnyJ, Aug 2, 2015
  10. I'd partially agree with that, although some machines (I'm sure a hyperthreaded P4) would run the x86 build just fine with 4 gb of RAM. My workstation can't run the x64 build of 8.1 or 10 because of the processor compatibility issues, but it would run the x86 version just fine. Believe me, I'm on Vista x64 (which is a resource hogging pig next to Windows 10) but it smokes on my system.

The other thing that Jimbo might want to keep in mind is that XP users are really stubborn. There are a few things about Windows NT 6x class systems that remove it completely off the table for XP fans:

The component store is a biggie. I do realize that the benefits of the WinSxS are certain. But it is indeed horribly inefficient. The old $hf_mig$ folder wasted space too but that was usually less than a gigabyte. And I agree that 7/8/10 have brought space-saving improvements here. But the Component Store is a killer for XP fans.

Aero Glass also seems to be a no go as well, but I wish they would understand that Aero used with a suitable video adapter actually improves video performance by offloading tasks to the GPU. I admit I tend to like Windows Basic, but I'm not experiencing slowdowns. And with glass effects being excised from Windows 8/10, those who don't care for transparency should be pleased.

While "eatup" was still on this board, I suggested that perhaps Microsoft should provide a build of Windows that provides the classic/XP look so that XP users would be encouraged to upgrade, but he'd hear none of that. He doesn't want the bloated MMC tools like the modern Event Viewer and Task Scheduler, the Component Store, or heavier Indexing that makes the moder-day search work. They would only be happy if updates were made to XP. No movement on that.

Jody Thornton, Aug 2, 2015
  11. BunnyJ New Member
    I agree that some hardware that run Xp would be fine but the majority of it would not cut it.. again just my 2c on that. And MS is only going to support on look for 10 and integrating a Xp look is not in the cards.. again .. my 2c. A third party would have to do something to get that accomplished.

Jeff
    PS, good points. *Smile

BunnyJ, Aug 2, 2015
  12. Wenda Win User
    The only thing I want on my XP 'box, is XP, so there it will be remaining.

That machine (a 2.8Ghz Pentium 4 h/t with 1 gb of RAM and a 256mb GeForce 5700) wouldn't run Win 10 in a fit anyway, Vista Ultimate SP2 is about its limit (although it will run 7 with all the Aero turned off).

It has several drives, all set as master, and I simply swap the cables depending on which of my older OSes I wish to use (currently the aforementioned Vista).

No, it isn't net-enabled, nor is it likely to be. So 'security' simply isn't an issue.

Wenda, Aug 2, 2015
  13. C'mon Ms let XP users upgrade too W10 could be the REAL XP killer

Thank you, sir.
    I guess you've now become MinionJ? *chuckle

14. BunnyJ New Member
    *Wink I like Minions!!

BunnyJ, Aug 2, 2015
  15. Can I just clarify something here? (And yes I know this has been posted elsewhere)

So I'm an insider. I am a Vista user. But I have a second hand HP mini-desktop that has a Pentium IV 2+ GHz (and it hyperthreads). So could I install the very first TP installation that I downloaded way back in the fall, and upgrade it to the newest Insider version? By the way, I'd be sticking to the x86 build.

Thema:

1. C'mon Ms let XP users upgrade too W10 could be the REAL XP killer - Similar Threads - C'mon let users

2. Windows XP Administrator user

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows XP Administrator user: I dont know how but the admin user disappeared and safe mode isn't making it show either... and the account that i do have access to doesn't have admin rights so i can't edit the registry or anything else like that... i have also tried the ctrl + alt + delete and it doesn't...
  3. Windows XP Administrator user

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows XP Administrator user: I dont know how but the admin user disappeared and safe mode isn't making it show either... and the account that i do have access to doesn't have admin rights so i can't edit the registry or anything else like that... i have also tried the ctrl + alt + delete and it doesn't...
  4. Ok, is win xp mode real?

in Windows 10 Customization
    Ok, is win xp mode real?: No, or is it? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/ok-is-win-xp-mode-real/6c9fb572-3321-4f35-9052-4e10cb6abe59
  5. Solitaire on W10 XP POINTS

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    Solitaire on W10 XP POINTS: Does anyone know where to find all the points and XP bonuses won? They are not found in the app and do not show up in microsoft rewards acct. Game shows badges,rank etc but no points tally....
  6. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  7. XP dual boot with W10

in Windows 10 Support
    XP dual boot with W10: Have read a shed-load of info on here about dual booting XP and W10...just need to clarify a few bits! I need to retain XP due to a hardware/software issue where the hardware will only run with XP... In preparation I have partitioned my HDD to C:\ 78GB (XP) and the...
  8. C'mon Ms -- this is rediculous

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    C'mon Ms -- this is rediculous: Hi folks I don't know what games Ms are playing at but this is absolute Bovine Scatology. Centos web site -- (Centos is one of the most used server systems on the planet - based on Red Hat Enterprise server and supported by Red Hat itself) reported unsafe which is total...
  9. Ms - for people who NEED XP - what about XP mode on W10

in Windows 10 Virtualization
    Ms - for people who NEED XP - what about XP mode on W10: Hi there For some people XP is still a necessary OS -- lots of hideously expensive lab gear / construction stuff etc runs on dedicated XP systems. A lot of this hardware has life times over 20 - 50 years for example so is not quickly replaced - and the original...
  10. Windows 9 Will Be the Absolute Windows XP Killer

in Windows 10 News
    Windows 9 Will Be the Absolute Windows XP Killer: Windows 9 is becoming a very anticipated product, not only for users, but also for those involved in the IT industry who want more Windows XP users to dump the aging OS and move to a newer platform. Dell, for example, hopes that Windows XP users will jump ship as soon as...