Windows 10: COM Surrogate

Discus and support COM Surrogate in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I'm trying to delete a file or remove personal picture information from a *.jpg, but I'm told that "The action can't be completed because the file is... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by splitsecond, Nov 28, 2015.

1. COM Surrogate

I'm trying to delete a file or remove personal picture information from a *.jpg, but I'm told that "The action can't be completed because the file is open in COM Surrogate." What is going on?

:)

splitsecond, Nov 28, 2015

2. Com surrogate consumes all the memory memory

Hi,

The dllhost.exe process goes by the name COM Surrogate and the only time you're likely even to notice its existence is when it crashes and you get the message COM Surrogate has stopped working. What is this COM Surrogate and
    why does it keep crashing?

The COM Surrogate is a fancy name for Sacrificial process for a COM object that is run outside of the process that requested it. Explorer uses the COM Surrogate when extracting thumbnails, for example. If you go to a folder with thumbnails enabled,
    Explorer will fire off a COM Surrogate and use it to compute the thumbnails for the documents in the folder. It does this because Explorer has learned not to trust thumbnail extractors; they have a poor track record for stability. Explorer has decided to absorb
    the performance penalty in exchange for the improved reliability resulting in moving these dodgy bits of code out of the main Explorer process. When the thumbnail extractor crashes, the crash destroys the COM Surrogate process instead of Explorer.

In other words, the COM Surrogate is the I don't feel good about this code, so I'm going to ask COM to host it in another process. That way, if it crashes, it's the COM Surrogate sacrificial process that crashes instead of me process. And when it
    crashes, it just means that Explorer's worst fears were realized.

In practice, if you get these types of crashes when browsing folders containing video or media files, the problem is most likely a flaky codec.

chk the link

What does the COM Surrogate do and why does it always stop working?

Try creating a new user account and check in it

Mark Antony86, Nov 28, 2015
  3. robgr Win User

COM Surrogate

Please open Windows Task Manager, enter processes and find any dllhost.exe processes.
    Right click on it and choose: End process. After that please try deleting the file again.

robgr, Nov 28, 2015
  4. Checked from TM. Don't have any such processes open?! In details I have dllhost.exe open and running, but it doesn't help to end it, reboots itself and the same situation up and running. How to stop the process completely or is it needed somewhere? Can it have something to do that I removed Acronis yesterday, have never had this problem before.

5. screenshot:
    COM Surrogate [​IMG]

6. philc43 Win User
    I think this is another of the issues that have emerged since the November update and so far there does not seem to be a fix.

philc43, Nov 28, 2015
  7. COM Surrogate

OK. Thanks it seems so, have not heard this before. let's hope MS fixes this.

8. The problem described above. In addition to that have two COM surrogate processes shortly in task manager when started. What's going on here.
    When a picture is right clicked got two COM surrogate processes in task manager, but they disappear shortly, when right clicked a picture again they reappear shortly. If clicked file location, it's c:/windows/system32/dllhost.exe . When TM is started there are two COM surrogate processes which disappear when it's open. A virus or something else? Have scanned with many AV and Malwarebytes etc, but found nothing. Something is keeping these COM surrogates active..? Attached some screenshots. Can't remove eg picture personal information because of this, have not noticed other "weird" things. Eraser.exe bcause wiping some empty drive space. Had com surrogate error with Acronis and W8.1, but don't know if that's the cause. It doesn't help to end dllhost.exe process, it restarts all over in loop.

splitsecond, Dec 11, 2015
  9. robgr Win User
    For a delete try Unlocker here

robgr, Dec 12, 2015
  10. Thanks, but can delete the file, just not remove personal properties in picture. Going for the thought that it's a Win 10 error, have the same on my laptop after November 1511 update, which has completely different SW and HW.

splitsecond, Dec 12, 2015
  11. yammo Win User
    I have the same problem and it started with the November 1511 update*Sad

yammo, Dec 25, 2015
  12. samme Win User

COM Surrogate

I opened my TASK MGR and there is no COM Surrogate files. I went to DETAILS tab and there are no DLL files.

Any suggestions?

I cannot remove personal details on pics.

Win 10, PC desktop.

Thanks for any help.

samme, Feb 2, 2016
  13. Double Win User
    I'm having the same problems. A decent workaround, assuming you're going to share them anyway, is to upload them to a service like Imgur that automatically strips away the properties for you.

Double, Feb 10, 2016
  14. nuspieds Win User
    I, too, have this problem but the workaround to close the COM Surrogate processes always works for me.

As a matter of fact, I don't even have to retry...when the message pops up, I go to Task Manager, close the processes and immediately it proceeds with removing the attributes.

nuspieds, Feb 10, 2016
Thema:

COM Surrogate

1. COM Surrogate - Similar Threads - COM Surrogate

2. COM Surrogate / DLL Host Service user impersonating in my desktop and hiding it with an...

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    COM Surrogate / DLL Host Service user impersonating in my desktop and hiding it with an...: DLL Host Service keeps popping up randomly and interrupting what I'm doing like typing or holding down a key because it's alt tabbing randomly at certain times I don't know what its doing to my computer or anything like that but I'm getting annoyed by it, I've tried ending...
  3. COM Surrogate / DLL Host Service user impersonating in my desktop and hiding it with an...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    COM Surrogate / DLL Host Service user impersonating in my desktop and hiding it with an...: DLL Host Service keeps popping up randomly and interrupting what I'm doing like typing or holding down a key because it's alt tabbing randomly at certain times I don't know what its doing to my computer or anything like that but I'm getting annoyed by it, I've tried ending...
  4. COM Surrogate / DLL Host Service user impersonating in my desktop and hiding it with an...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources: Greetings.I'm facing an issue with COM Surrogate using too much system resources, particularly the cpu, about 10-15% and it causes the CPU to boost and the fans in my laptop with it.It is caused by process id:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}. It could be a fileless...
  6. Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources

Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources: Greetings.I'm facing an issue with COM Surrogate using too much system resources, particularly the cpu, about 10-15% and it causes the CPU to boost and the fans in my laptop with it.It is caused by process id:{AB8902B4-09CA-4bb6-B78D-A8F59079A8D5}. It could be a fileless...
  7. Com Surrogate Dllhost.exe using too much system CPU resources

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  8. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search: I noticed my laptop fans become louder and I checked the task manager to find out the COM Surrogate taking 15.5+% of CPU usage. There is another problem as well, my pictures and video thumbnails are not showing, I already checked the show thumbnail instead of icons, I already...
  9. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search: I noticed my laptop fans become louder and I checked the task manager to find out the COM Surrogate taking 15.5+% of CPU usage. There is another problem as well, my pictures and video thumbnails are not showing, I already checked the show thumbnail instead of icons, I already...
  10. COM Surrogate Too High CPU Usage Because of Windows Search

in Windows 10 Gaming