Windows 10: Coming to the dark side

Discus and support Coming to the dark side in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi all, Well it had to happen....I'm leaving the light of W7 and coming to the dark side....... W10 *Shock Got full of lunatic soup over the holidays... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by lffoar, Jan 10, 2018.

1. lffoar Win User

Coming to the dark side

Hi all,
    Well it had to happen....I'm leaving the light of W7 and coming to the dark side....... W10 *Shock
    Got full of lunatic soup over the holidays and stupidly told my Grand-kid he could have my computer *Party
    So built another one and here I am....Glad to see a few of the whizz kids from W7 forum are here to help out *Smile
    Gotta go now, reading up Shawn's tutorials and trying to make this system as near to W7 as possible *092
    Couple of questions before I go, (first of many I suggest).
    I've used Avast A/V for ages, is the W10 "Defender" up to scratch? I also use Malwarebytes, SuperAntiSpyware, Adwcleaner.
    Also, I've used Ccleaner for a long time but the Tech who built this computer for me suggested I don't use it and says it "wrecks computers", has "brought him lots of work" etc etc. Any thoughts?

:)

lffoar, Jan 10, 2018

2. Questions on Noka C7

Everything is possible Coming to the dark side ;) but you must come to the dark side of nokia....

The dark side of nokia users is the path of many abilities, some of them can be unnatural. But you wont learn then from nokia discussions board...

joeaperson, Jan 10, 2018
  3. Jay_answers, Jan 10, 2018
  4. Coming to the dark side

It is strongly recommended that you run only one antivirus program at a time. Having more than one antivirus program active in memory uses additional resources and can result in program conflicts and false virus alerts. If you choose to install more than one antivirus program on your computer, then only one of them should be active in memory at a time.

There is no universal "one size fits all" solution that works for everyone and there is no single best anti-virus. Every vendor's virus lab and program scanning engine is different. Each has has its own strengths and weaknesses and they often use a mix of technologies to detect and remove malware. In many cases choosing an anti-virus is a matter of personal preference and what works best on a particular system. You may need to experiment and find the one most suitable for your needs.

You can use CCleaner but don't use the registry cleaner feature of the CCleaner program. Registry cleaners are extremely powerful applications and their potential for harming your OS far outweighs any small potential for improving your computer's performance.

There are a number of them available and some are more safe than others. Keep in mind that no two registry cleaners work entirely the same way. Each vendor uses different criteria as to what constitutes a "bad" entry. One cleaner may find entries on your system that will not cause a problem when removed, another may not find the same entries, and still another may want to remove entries required for a program to work. Without research into what the registry entry selected for deletion is, a registry cleaner can end up being an automated method to cause problems with the registry.

For routine use by those not familiar with the registry, the benefits to your computer are negligible while the potential risks are great.

FreeBooter, Jan 10, 2018
  5. Bree New Member
    I use CCleaner, but just as a convenient way to remove junk files. It's said to be one of the 'safer' registry cleaners, but I agree with FreeBooter - don't use that feature. There's no real evidence that 'cleaning' the registry has any effect on performance, so why risk it?

Windows Defender comes out in tests as being around the industry average. These are the latest test results, but note that these are for 1703's version 4.11, the Fall Creators Update has version 4.12 - yet to be tested.

https://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus...r-4.11-174047/

Defender's protection can be extended by turning on PUA (aka PUP) protection.

Enable or Disable Windows Defender PUA Protection in Windows 10

In the Fall Creators Update Defender get's 'Controlled Folder Access' which can protect your documents from being modified by malware. It's off by default because if you enable it you may well have to grant access to some of your existing apps.

Change Windows Defender Controlled Folder Access Settings - Windows 10

I use just Defender (with the above options turned on) plus an occasional scan with AdwCleaner (which finds nothing). Seems to do the job for me.

6. Ztruker Win User
    I use CCleaner all the time. I even run the registry cleaner part of it now and then just because I like to see it clean. Never, ever have had a problem, despite all the doom and gloom stories you hear.

I use Windows Defender and Malwarebytes anti-malwware Premium. No SuperAntiSpyware or Adwcleaner.

I installed Start10 from Stardock when Windows 10 first came out and stayed with it because I'm used to it. I find it to be the best Start menu replacement around. It give a Windows 7 look and feel to the system. I've now gotten used to the Windows 10 Start Menu so I no longer need it but still like it simply because I'm used to it. You can try it for free or buy it for $4.99.

Ztruker, Jan 11, 2018
  7. lffoar Win User
    Thanks fellers,
    I'm aware only one A/V should be used so I'll stick with Defender for a while....Avast was getting a bit clunky anyway.
    Don't think I'll reinstall Ccleaner, it doesn't seem to have done any harm in the past but new system, new ways I 'spose *sarc
    Have installed classic shell so it's starting to look a bit more familiar but more questions in my next post...like now.

lffoar, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Coming to the dark side

1. Coming to the dark side - Similar Threads - Coming dark side

2. 37 yr old Paint coming in Dark

in Windows 10 Gaming
    37 yr old Paint coming in Dark: With Windows 11 23H2 Paint now comes in Dark... 3 cheers for consistency Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/37-yr-old-paint-coming-in-dark/ae17d178-457c-44dd-a29b-91a8ddfb053d
  3. 37 yr old Paint coming in Dark

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    37 yr old Paint coming in Dark: With Windows 11 23H2 Paint now comes in Dark... 3 cheers for consistency Cheers,Drew https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/37-yr-old-paint-coming-in-dark/ae17d178-457c-44dd-a29b-91a8ddfb053d
  4. headphone only coming out of one side

in Windows 10 Gaming
    headphone only coming out of one side: hello yesterday my headphones only started coming out of the left side. and i look at some other articles and they werent helpful one told me to go on the control panel and go on to sound and configure but when i clicked on configure if wouldnt let me. please help....
  5. headphone only coming out of one side

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    headphone only coming out of one side: hello yesterday my headphones only started coming out of the left side. and i look at some other articles and they werent helpful one told me to go on the control panel and go on to sound and configure but when i clicked on configure if wouldnt let me. please help....
  6. headphone only coming out of one side

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
  7. All praise be to thee, for the dark has come.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    All praise be to thee, for the dark has come.: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/ayymadd [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ob7dxq/all_praise_be_to_thee_for_the_dark_has_come/
  8. Audio Only Coming From Side Of Headset

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio Only Coming From Side Of Headset: Just recently I bought an Omen laptop, I tried to plug in my headset to listen to music and the audio only came from the left headphone. Later on I did an audio test to make sure my headset wasn't busted and that's when I noticed that both audio channels were being combined....
  9. !! Dark side iof Outlook !!

in Microsoft Office and 365
    !! Dark side iof Outlook !!: Hi, I use Outlook a lot now that I am in uni and just want to know how to change dark mode on when on the web version. I don't think I am in Beta and I can't find the dark mode switch in the quick settings menu, if fact I don't think I can find the quick setting menu, have...
  10. Upgraded to the Dark Side...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Upgraded to the Dark Side...: Finally decided it was time to move from Windows 7 to the dark side...(my taxes are done and submitted, so I could lose my computer for awhile and not be critical...) Made sure Windows 7 was 100% up to date, Ran Belarc to capture all my software registration keys, ensured...