Windows 10: Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

Discus and support Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi, I have installed the Anniversary Update a couple days ago. Everything went fine and I faced no problem at all. However, my command prompt font was... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by BlackMiracle, Aug 10, 2016.

1. Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

Hi, I have installed the Anniversary Update a couple days ago. Everything went fine and I faced no problem at all. However, my command prompt font was changed to SimSum-ExtB (the font which often found on Chinese product). I right-clicked on the title bar > Properties and chose Consolas font but that seems to take no effect. Font stays unchanged, all I can do are change font size and select Bold font.

Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update [​IMG]

Changing to Courier font sometimes works, sometimes it displays error message like this before changing the font. But selecting Consolas font will not work at all.

Has anyone experienced this? Restarting the computer didn't help either. Thanks.

:)

BlackMiracle, Aug 10, 2016

2. Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

Hi, I have installed the Anniversary Update a couple days ago. Everything went fine and I faced no problem at all. However, my command prompt font was changed to SimSum-ExtB (the font which often found
    on Chinese product). I right-clicked on the title bar > Properties and chose Consolas font but that seems to take no effect. Font stays unchanged, all I can do are change font size and select Bold font.

Changing to Courier font sometimes works, sometimes it displays error message like this before changing the font. But selecting Consolas font will not work at all.

Here are what I have done trying to solve this but no luck

• Go to Control Panel > Appearance and Personalisation > Fonts > Font settings > Restore default font settings
    • Open Registry Editor and deleted the entire HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console
      then open the command prompt window again, the problem still persists. Only the window size and font size were changed to default settings.
      I right-clicked on the title bar > Defaults > Font tab > The font is set to Consolas but it still use that SimSum-ExtB font for displaying. I also opened PowerShell and it has the same issue.

Has anyone experienced this? I hope I don't have to repair Windows. Thank you.

3. Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

Bump. Haven't found a solution yet.

4. eLPuSHeR Win User

Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

Have you tried Control Panel -> Fonts -> Fonts configuration -> Button Restore default font config...?

Just a shot in the dark.

eLPuSHeR, Aug 10, 2016
  5. bro67 Win User
    The characters are not foreign, they are called "Wingdings" when a font that the Command Window was set to, that the Anniversary pulled that font because it did not meet Microsoft's standards. Just reset the Default Profile for the Terminal. The reason that you are getting that error, is because the registry no longer knows how to find what was at that path or the item was deleted.

bro67, Aug 10, 2016
  6. Thanks for suggesting, but this didn't solve the issue.

7. Thank you. How exactly do I "reset the Default Profile"?

8. Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

UPDATE: I opened Registry Editor and deleted the entire Code: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console[/quote] then opened the command prompt window again, the problem still persists. Only the window size and font size were changed to default settings.

I right-clicked on the title bar > Defaults > Font tab > The font is set to Consolas but it still use that SimSum-ExtB font for displaying. I also opened PowerShell and it has the same issue.

BlackMiracle, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update

1. Command prompt font messed up after Anniversary Update - Similar Threads - Command prompt font

2. Windows 11 update messing up the boot commands?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 11 update messing up the boot commands?: I've recently had issues with my laptop only 3 years old. I installed the latest windows 11 update a couple of weeks ago and since then, my computer is not booting up correctly. For example, I push the power button and the keyboard lights up but there is no display on the...
  3. Font is messed up in Windows 11

Font is messed up in Windows 11: In File Explorer, the font is not the normal font Segoe UI and is a different font that I don't know the name of.Here's my system information:OS: Windows 11 23H2, build 22631.3007Computer: HP Victus 15-fb0015nrRAM: 32GBStorage: 512GBScreenshot:Please help!...
  4. Command Prompt Pop up

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Pop up: I've been having issues with a command prompt popping up at random times. I've done some searching and found what I believe to be the culprit- Thru the use of powershell : Get-ScheduledTask Get-ScheduledTaskInfo select TaskName, TaskPath, LastRunTime out-gridviewI found that...
  5. Command Prompt Pop up

Command Prompt Pop up: I've been having issues with a command prompt popping up at random times. I've done some searching and found what I believe to be the culprit- Thru the use of powershell : Get-ScheduledTask Get-ScheduledTaskInfo select TaskName, TaskPath, LastRunTime out-gridviewI found that...
  6. Deleting Fonts with Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Deleting Fonts with Command Prompt: Hi. I am just wondering if there is a command or commands you can input into Command Prompt to delete/get rid of fonts. If anyone has any answers, I would like to know!...
  7. Commands on command prompt are showing up as "not recognized"

in Windows 10 Customization
    Commands on command prompt are showing up as "not recognized": I executed some commands like ipconfig,netsh, cipher, etc etc but they all showed up as "not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file". I have worked with these commands before and they were working properly until today. What could be the...
  8. Command Prompt acting up.

Command Prompt acting up.: Command prompt is acting weird lately. It started ~2-3 weeks ago. Whats happening is that the console window that pops up is full black with no text. Bringing up the Properties or Defaults menu and changing the colors there doesn't help. What does help is the command "color...
  9. Command Prompt pops up

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Command Prompt pops up: For the last week I have Command Prompt popping up on start up and as quickly it goes. Could it be a Microsoft update ? Operating W10 with the latest updates. I have tried all the suggestions I can find in Microsoft and Google with no luck so far ?...
  10. Command prompt pop up

in Windows 10 Support
    Command prompt pop up: Hi, for a while now i been having an issue with command prompt. The command prompt will randomly pop up and close immediately. i have had this issue for a while but it didn't really effect me. Recently ive been playing a lot of games and the command prompt will tab me out of...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows command line font messed up