Windows 10: Command Prompt Input Error renaming update files

Discus and support Command Prompt Input Error renaming update files in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; [img] this was driving me crazy and the virtual assistant's suggestions bore no fruit so I thought I'd try this Cant install windows 10... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by 10fused, Nov 20, 2017.

1. 10fused Win User

Command Prompt Input Error renaming update files

Command Prompt Input Error renaming update files [​IMG]

this was driving me crazy and the virtual assistant's suggestions bore no fruit

so I thought I'd try this

Cant install windows 10 updates - Microsoft Community

OPPPPS! How do I fix this back to original config or carry out the renaming process correctly to try it?

Thanks

:)

10fused, Nov 20, 2017

2. Winhlp32 for Windows 10

Thanks for the input but no success.

Booted to Command Prompt with administrator account and went to X:\Windows, as I wanted to keep the original win 10 file I did a rename winhlp32.exe wwinhelp32.exe and got error "file not found", did a dir of X:\Windows and most files, including winhlp32.exe
    did not display. Gave up at this point.

Thanks Again,

Ron

Ron - LynnSwerdfeger, Nov 20, 2017
  3. Windows 10 Spooler Not Running

No. When I tried to rename these files, I got a "syntax error" message in each case. I copied and pasted the commands to avoid typing errors. I checked for an extra space at the end of your commands. Please check and see
    what the syntax problem was.

donharmon42, Nov 20, 2017
  4. topgundcp Win User

from command prompt:
    cd C:\Windows
    ren SoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old

BTW, what is the reason to rename it ?

topgundcp, Nov 20, 2017
  5. By the way this looks, you have already renamed the SoftwareDistribution folder with the command where you mistyped SoftwareDistribution.ol.

Try this: Code: RENAME %SYSTEMROOT%\SoftwareDistribution.ol SoftwareDistribution.old[/quote] See if that works.

ArazelEternal, Nov 20, 2017
  6. 10fused Win User
    I thought my post was clear, mea culpa.

I was attempting to try this fix since my device has been unable to update for several days now ongoing.

See the link below which I also included in the original post and thank you, I'll try your recommendation.

Cant install windows 10 updates - Microsoft Community

So I think I tried what you suggested and here are the results:

I'd like to put it back how it was then, go to the Update section and see if I can get help fixing the Update problem.

10fused, Nov 20, 2017
  7. 10fused Win User
    See if that works.[/quote]

That makes sense, please see my most current command prompt screen snip and if you would, tell me how to get there from where it currently is, or advise if I need to close it out and reopen the command prompt box. Thanks

10fused, Nov 20, 2017
  8. Command Prompt Input Error renaming update files

Please try my suggestion exactly as it is typed out in the code box. What you just tried isnt going to work.

9. 10fused Win User
    From the displayed C:\Windows> prompt?

What is displayed is my attempt to follow instructions from post #2.

Thanks

10fused, Nov 20, 2017
  10. Yes, try it as I have it:

Code: RENAME %SYSTEMROOT&\SoftwareDistribution.ol SoftwareDistribution.old[/quote] THis should work better.

11. 10fused Win User
    THis should work better.[/quote] You have it in this thread two different ways, I tried the last from post #8 and then tried the way presented in post #5.

Here are the results and the difference is the post #8 string has a "&" which I think was intended to be a "%".

I am not sure if this worked as it provided neither an affirmation of denial.

Am I incorrect by not being at the original "C: \WINDOWS\system32>" prompt

it has been over 25 years since I studied DOS

10fused, Nov 20, 2017
  12. 10fused Win User
    Can anyone advise please? I've certainly screwed it up and need clear steps as if I were 8 years old and a robot. Settings-Update & security-windows update-update history is blank now AND wu170509.diagcab actually ran this time and claimed to fix everything including the 2017-11 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4048954) update however, the update history is blank and I'll report back after a restart I think the file name still hasn't been correctly changed back to how it was.

10fused, Nov 20, 2017
  13. 10fused Win User

thanks, I'll see if I can get help to fix this in the update section now that it is much more properly FUBAR.

10fused, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Command Prompt Input Error renaming update files - Similar Threads - Command Prompt Input

2. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  3. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Gaming
    renaming multiple files using the command prompt: Hello,I had a few dozen files that used a naming convention beginning with an abbreviation for a city in this case, WI and then an alpha-numeric sequence that was unique to each file. I wanted to rename the files to include the entire city name in this case, Windsor without...
  4. renaming multiple files using the command prompt

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Command Prompt Error

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Command Prompt Error: I have recently been having a problem with my pc where it gives me a message when I go to Windows Update where it says " Something went wrong. Try to reopen Settings later." I found a resolution to it well I atleast hope it will resolve it but it says to type "net stop bits"...
  6. Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input: Shortcut Creation: I am trying to create a shortcut that will help me in optimizing my switching between language inputs. I have downloaded the necessary language packs and know the shortcuts for opening a virtual keyboard Windows Key + ctrl + o along with the shortcut for...
  7. Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Command Prompt Shortcut: Language Input: Shortcut Creation: I am trying to create a shortcut that will help me in optimizing my switching between language inputs. I have downloaded the necessary language packs and know the shortcuts for opening a virtual keyboard Windows Key + ctrl + o along with the shortcut for...
  8. Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.

Command Prompt Renaming Files with " and ' in the file name.: I have a folder with thousands of files with in it. I have been trying to run various batch commands on the files within this folder, however some of these files have " and ' within their filename. Is there some way to either eliminate the problem characters from within the...
  9. Command prompt error.

Command prompt error.: Hey there community, my name is Harry, when I open command prompt in windows, it comes up with this strange message. Please send help my way please![ATTACH] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-error/7782c9d6-a903-4b11-adea-4688bed17671
  10. "rename" command in Command Prompt

"rename" command in Command Prompt: Never thought I'd have another DOS question, but ... never say never, I guess. So I have a folder with sub-folders named with the dates of all the weekdays in April, in the format 2019-04-xx_. I want to change the names to May, i.e. replace "04" with "05". I opened a...