Windows 10: Command Prompt not working for user or Administrator

Discus and support Command Prompt not working for user or Administrator in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; When selecting the command prompt from the right click on startup options I get the following message: 'This file does not have a program... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Noeleeng, Jul 8, 2016.

1. Noeleeng Win User

Command Prompt not working for user or Administrator

When selecting the command prompt from the right click on startup options I get the following message:

'This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program, or if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel'

Please assist with what has gone wrong and how to fix it. It was working but now not *Redface

Thanks

:)

Noeleeng, Jul 8, 2016

2. Administrator User and use of Elevated Command Prompt

Paul

You are going to need to run a repair install from the win 10 ISO

ZigZag3143 (MS -MVP), Jul 8, 2016
  3. mannannan Win User
    Administrator User and use of Elevated Command Prompt

This is how I sorted out my issue in the end (Windows 10)

After trying many different ideas, I simply went to All Settings>Reset this PC. After a long while it told me that [the job, name forgotten!] had failed. I rebooted and all was back to 'normal', albeit of some days previously. It had done what I initially
    wanted - a System Restore - but it wasn't possible to run the System Restore from its usual place (from Control Panel or Windows Explorer). It seems that All Settings>Reset this PC must be more 'powerful', but maybe not. Anyhow, it cured my issue
    and that was weeks ago.

All Settings>Reset this PC can be accessed from the rectangular icon in the corner by the date.

mannannan, Jul 8, 2016
  4. NavyLCDR New Member

If you press Win Key + R to open a run dialog and then run:
    cmd

what happens?

NavyLCDR, Jul 8, 2016
  5. Noeleeng Win User
    Get a message saying: ' Windows cannot find 'cmd'. Make sure you typed the word correctly then try again'

Noeleeng, Jul 8, 2016
  6. Some malware infections will delete or rename that file so you can't use it to undo the infection.

alphanumeric, Jul 8, 2016
  7. TairikuOkami, Jul 8, 2016
  8. NavyLCDR New Member

NavyLCDR, Jul 9, 2016
  9. Berton Win User
    In such a situation I've had success fixing the problem using this:
    FixExec Download

Berton, Jul 9, 2016
  10. Noeleeng Win User
    Noeleeng, Jul 11, 2016
  11. I had this same problem with a particular folder, except it was not a folder. I had created a "shortcut" by using "add network location". The right-click - "open command prompt here" did not work with this shortcut but does work with the original folder

wildcatherder, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Command Prompt not working for user or Administrator - Similar Threads - Command Prompt working

2. commands for command prompt not working

in Windows 10 Gaming
    commands for command prompt not working: im trying to reset my laptop and everytime it says there was a problem resetting your pc so i looked up a youtube vid on how to fix this and came across the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" when i press enter however NOTHING happens, i let it sit for a...
  3. commands for command prompt not working

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    commands for command prompt not working: im trying to reset my laptop and everytime it says there was a problem resetting your pc so i looked up a youtube vid on how to fix this and came across the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth" when i press enter however NOTHING happens, i let it sit for a...
  4. commands for command prompt not working

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  5. Unable to run the command prompt as an administrator

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to run the command prompt as an administrator: As the title states I am not able to run the command prompt as an administrator. Currently I am in a repair loop and can't check my disk without administrator. The only issue is that I only have access to command prompt through the troubleshoot option. What do I do?...
  6. Command Prompt is not working

Command Prompt is not working: Hello, Command prompt is opens and closed immediately. I tried to run it as a administrator but doesn't get a positive response, the problem still remain same....
  7. Command Prompt Not Working

Command Prompt Not Working: I have written a python program through Adobe Brackets, and every time I try to run it, this error message comes up: "Error while building cmd. See console for more information." What can I do to get Command Prompt to work?...
  8. Command Prompt Administrator

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Administrator: I am the Administrator but at the Command Prompt access is denied https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/command-prompt-administrator/4e28f118-973a-4b2a-a82e-0942312494b0
  9. 10130 - Run as Administrator not working for Command Prompt

in Windows 10 Support
    10130 - Run as Administrator not working for Command Prompt: I pinned Command Prompt to the Taskbar then changed the properties to always Run as Administrator. Setting took but is not obeyed: [img] When I click on the icon in the Taskbar I get: [img] What I should get is this: [img] This worked in previous...
  10. Command Prompt as Administrator.

in Windows 10 Support
    Command Prompt as Administrator.: How do I switch powershell in start menu to command prompt administrator. Henry. 87415