Windows 10: Command Window Colors

Discus and support Command Window Colors in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; If I open the command window and highlight something the text color comes out black and the background bright white. How I can change them? This... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doncole, Feb 24, 2017.

1. doncole Win User

Command Window Colors

If I open the command window and highlight something the text color comes out black and the background bright white.
    How I can change them?

This not the same as the popup colors.
    What are the popups anyway?

I know how change colors of text and background colors of regular text and popup text.

But not the highlight text.

Don Cole

:)

doncole, Feb 24, 2017

2. Windows 10 Colour Customization Absolutely Sucks

You can turn color on in the title bars as of the Windows 10 Fall update release (10586) under Settings :: Personalization :: Colors if you use the "Show color on ... title bar" option there.

You can get a wider range of colors by using the exact command line:

control color

from a Win+R (Run) prompt, but the colors are currently partially limited in order to ensure visibility.

zachd [MSFT], Feb 24, 2017
  3. How to get rid of green frame around all input fields

Hi,

To check if this is due to incorrect Window color settings, try this:

Right-click Start, click Command Prompt.

Type the following commands:

reg query "HKCU\Control Panel\Colors" >%temp%\colors.txt

reg query "HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop\Colors" >>%temp%\colors.txt

notepad %temp%\colors.txt

Copy the contents of the file colors.txt, and include it with your reply.

Ramesh Srinivasan, Feb 24, 2017
  4. Edwin New Member

Command Window Colors

You should be able to change all four properties.

Command Window Colors [​IMG]

Edwin, Feb 24, 2017
  5. f14tomcat Win User
    Windows does a kinda "reverse" color match on highlighted text in the console window. Not much control over that part. If you change the text color, it will pick an appropriate reverse color of it's choosing. Probably not what you wanted to hear, but. Example of changing the text to Cyan, highlight comes out Red. The background of the highlighted will always be white.

f14tomcat, Feb 24, 2017
  6. Fafhrd Win User

The highlight reverses both text and background colours in my experience.

Fafhrd, Feb 24, 2017
  7. Anak Win User
    The only way I found that you can change the highlighted text is if you change the cmd windows background color along with the text color. That's why Fafhrd's highlighted text is blue on yellow, his text is yellow, confused yet?

There can be many contrasting colors set to the users liking, some pleasant *Smile, some garish. *Eek As an example, a pink background with the brite green text makes my eyes hurt, some sets can make the text invisible; Beauty is in the eye of the beholder!

See Part Four of my 7F tutorial. Make sure you start as in step four and click on default to set the defaults you want.

8. doncole Win User

Command Window Colors

Thank you Edwin, f14tomcat, Fafhrd and Anak,

I've pretty much got

screen text,
    screen background
    popup text,
    popup background,
    highlight text,
    and highlight background
    colors down now.

What I would now like to know is what is a popup? and where could I view one?

Don Cole

doncole, Feb 24, 2017
  9. Fafhrd Win User
    If you press F7 it will show a command history pop up, in your chosen pop up colours, like this:

perhaps you can find some more?

Fafhrd, Feb 24, 2017
  10. Anak Win User
    You're welcome!

The popup or cmd line history popup is useful for re-running a previous cmd, proficient users of a cmd prompt may have hundreds of previous cmd's [the default is 50 and can be set to 999] so while in a cmd session they would invoke the F7 key and use the ↑↓ keys to pick a certain cmd and press enter to run that cmd.

Something I just learned is, you can set the opacity [transparency] of the cmd window in w10 by going to the botom of the Colors Tab and use the slider at the bottom of the tab.

More:
    To change the default amount of cmd's saved, see: Part One: To Change Command Prompt Options in my tutorial.
    Also: How To Make The Command Prompt Look & Work Better

11. Fafhrd Win User
    If you happen to choose a custom colour with selected color bit values for your background and text, you get even more variation with the highlight effects:

Remember though,if you use powershell, it will format and highlight colours itself, so don't make stuff unreadable!

Fafhrd, Feb 24, 2017
  12. Edwin New Member
    I use my theme colors, (if I think of it!) *Wink
    I believe you must customize each applet though, CP, CP Admin, PS and PS Admin, I could be wrong.

Edwin, Feb 24, 2017
  13. Anak Win User

Command Window Colors

With the mention of PS [Powershell] and how the regular prompt windows work I usually work with the elevated prompts and when I checked the regular cmd window it reflected the changes I made to the elevated one.

When I went to check PS it retained the OS defaults but when I checked the defaults they were set to my changes in the standard cmd window...*Confused... I then checked PS properties and they were defaults so I changed them to my preference and both defaults and properties of PS are holding...*Biggrin

I did find out that there is no F7 cmd history popup that I can find on my system and I have been looking for that, so far I'm only coming up with a get-history cmd and it is harder to work with. This site: https://PowerShell Command History and Buffers | www.petri.com says there should be an F7 popup for PS unless I'm using the ISE version of PS, but as far as I can tell I'm not. So my problem will be to find out why it won't on my laptop. I did go into the lenovo settings app and the keyboard is set to use the function keys as F keys and not hotkeys, F7 doesn't work on either regular or elevated PS just the standard cmd window. As for history PS won't save it but there are ways around that.

I have explored the first dozen sites in these google searches: powershell history across sessions | and | how to bring up cmd history in powershell

By the way; If you mess up the personalizations and want a quick way to revert to default see this tutorial by @Pyprohly Command Prompt - Restore Default Personalization Settings - Windows 7 Help Forums

Thema:

Command Window Colors

1. Command Window Colors - Similar Threads - Command Window Colors

2. Why is my command prompt's colors broken?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why is my command prompt's colors broken?: So when I do in command prompt Windows Terminal for example color 4 which is red it sets color for blue, BUT when I do color 1 which is blue, It gets like a bit darker blue? I guess. It isn't inverted, its fkd. up. How can that even happen?? And how to fix it? i can't find...
  3. Why is my command prompt's colors broken?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why is my command prompt's colors broken?: So when I do in command prompt Windows Terminal for example color 4 which is red it sets color for blue, BUT when I do color 1 which is blue, It gets like a bit darker blue? I guess. It isn't inverted, its fkd. up. How can that even happen?? And how to fix it? i can't find...
  4. Having the output from a command within a batch file in a different color

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Having the output from a command within a batch file in a different color: Hello. I am preparing to run the following script on one of our servers: REM Launch the batch files listed below to start the Exceed X environment, REM and log into the mcrs3 server using the putty application. REM List the hostname of the server that is being connected to by...
  5. Having the output from a command within a batch file in a different color

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Having the output from a command within a batch file in a different color: Hello. I am preparing to run the following script on one of our servers: REM Launch the batch files listed below to start the Exceed X environment, REM and log into the mcrs3 server using the putty application. REM List the hostname of the server that is being connected to by...
  6. FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors

in Windows 10 Support
    FYI: Win10 21H1 and Command Prompt Colors: Early this morning, I upgraded my Windows 10 Professional installation to feature version 21H1. I have been running all day, with no significant things to report except one minor annoyance that I solved easily. The annoyance is that the Colors tab, which one would expect to...
  7. How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt

in Windows 10 News
    How to change the Background and Foreground Color in Command Prompt: If you open the Command Prompt, it should be evident that the background color is black. However, there are those who would prefer to change the color but have no idea this is a possibility. If you are one of those many people, then worry not for you’re in the right place....
  8. Export command prompt and powershell settings/colors/position

in Windows 10 Support
    Export command prompt and powershell settings/colors/position: How can it be done? I've seen a similar thread for Windows 7 at SevenForums and people there say that settings of cmd are stored in "HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Console" but it doesn't look like it's the same on Windows 10 *sarc I've exported the whole "console" category from the...
  9. Command Prompt Colors

in Windows 10 Customization
    Command Prompt Colors: On one of my computers the command prompt terminal defaults to black text on a grey background and does not respond to changing the properties in the normal manner. On the odd occasion that I have managed to change it to white on black it reverts to black on grey next time it...
  10. How to Change the Command Prompt Colors and properties in Windows

in Windows 10 Customization
    How to Change the Command Prompt Colors and properties in Windows: Just read this article in " Makeuseof" Actually very cool!! Thought I'd share it http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/how-to-...rs-in-windows/ 37871