Windows 10: "Comments" field in File Explorer

Discus and support "Comments" field in File Explorer in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; There is one available; I have included it on my Details listings. How can I assign a comment? 92733 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tcebob, Sep 3, 2017.

1. tcebob Win User

"Comments" field in File Explorer

There is one available; I have included it on my Details listings. How can I assign a comment?

:)

tcebob, Sep 3, 2017

2. Using file manager info to create an index?

I want to copy the text from the "Name" and "Comments" fields in windows file manager to use as an index for photo album. The "Copy Text" choice is not available. I can use the snip tool and paste in One Note then copy the text from that; but I lose
    the ends of comments longer than the screen and the result is displayed as separate fields with the info from the name fields above the info from the column fields.

raeisenberg, Sep 3, 2017
  3. my phone " keys in " some numbers while talking

As I said in my first post you can either try to update it's software to see if it cures it.

If it doesn't then your phone is faulty and you will need to get it repaired.

psychomania---01, Sep 3, 2017
  4. pepanee Win User

I guess it depends on the file? As you can see in the screen shot, in the Details panel for the text file, there is no comment section, yet for the mp3 file, there's a comment section that I can edit.

"Comments" field in File Explorer [​IMG]

pepanee, Sep 3, 2017
  5. Bree New Member
    Pepanee's screenshot shows an .mp3 file. Comments, along with Title, Artist, Album, Year, etc. are all part of the metadata for an audio file - all should be editable. Just hover your mouse over the right hand 'Value' column for 'Comments' line and a text box should appear.

"Comments" field in File Explorer [​IMG]

Bree, Sep 3, 2017
  6. tcebob Win User
    Tried a .jpg. The first one had Details but no header for Value. Others had the header and I found that as a slid the mouse over the items each one in turn showed a text box. So it's not quite the case that "a text box should appear" but that one needs to activate Value first, then select the wanted field. This is counterintuitive to an old Windows driver like me, used to selecting then doing something.

The one that had no header worked when I moused the place where Value would have been.

Thanks as always for your advice. It worked.

tcebob, Sep 3, 2017
  7. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. "Comments" field in File Explorer - Similar Threads - Comments field File

2. how to add comments to files in explorer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to add comments to files in explorer: how to add comments to files in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-comments-to-files-in-explorer/e6f47313-e2fd-48f9-b3f1-00dc092b8fa1
  3. how to add comments to files in explorer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to add comments to files in explorer: how to add comments to files in explorer https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-add-comments-to-files-in-explorer/e6f47313-e2fd-48f9-b3f1-00dc092b8fa1
  4. Comments attributes unreadable by File Explorer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Comments attributes unreadable by File Explorer: On my Windows 10 PC, the Comments attribute is no longer readable or writable from File Explorer or equivalent like xplorer2. It did work for the first two months I had the PC. This is the case for all file types from all drives and even files on other PCs on the network. The...
  5. Comments attribute unreadable by File Explorer

Comments attribute unreadable by File Explorer: On my Windows 10 PC, the Comments attribute is no longer readable or writable from File Explorer or equivalent like xplorer2. It did work for the first two months I had the PC. This is the case for all file types from all drives and other PCs on the network. The Comments...
  6. file explorer jpg comments not visible

file explorer jpg comments not visible: When using file explorer I cannot see a jpg "comment" if the jpg was first stored on a mac and vice versa. That is, when using a Mac the jpg "comments" created on a Windows computer do not display....
  7. Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working

in Cortana
    Cortana's search field not working and File Explorer search field not working: I have tried all these suggested fixes and none of them fix either of the two problems. https://www.partitionwizard.com/partitionmagic/file-explorer-search-not-working.html I am wondering if anyone else had this dual problem? I see there is a Powershell script I can run...
  8. How to find jpeg files with empty Comments field?

How to find jpeg files with empty Comments field?: I know I can search a folder in File Explorer, and use [ type: jpeg comments: "seasonal" ] -- without the brackets -- to find all jpeg files that have the word "seasonal" in the comments field in the metadata. How do I search for the files that have nothing in the comments?...
  9. How can I add comments to the Comments column on File Explorer?

How can I add comments to the Comments column on File Explorer?: How can I associate comments with a file, and get them to appear in the File Explorer Comments column? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-can-i-add-comments-to-the-comments-column-on/d09e68a0-ec87-435a-bacc-bdefcab94c70"
  10. Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments

in Windows 10 Customization
    Add comments, tags, metadata to files in explorer, folder comments: Hi, just come across this File Metadata (free) which I think will interest you- seems very competent in tagging files. At the bottom I've added a note about StyleFolder (free), which adds comments to folders. If you want to add comments, tags, metadata to files, this is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. comments field in explorer windows 10