Windows 10: Common Faults / Fixes List

Discus and support Common Faults / Fixes List in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hey Guys, There are a lot of commonly occurring issues appearing in the Installation sub-forum, so please take a look through the list here and see... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Common Faults / Fixes List

Hey Guys,

There are a lot of commonly occurring issues appearing in the Installation sub-forum, so please take a look through the list here and see if these can solve your problem before creating a new one!

Relevant Tutorials
    For a Upgrade installation guide > Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums
    For a clean installation guide > Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums
    For Activating Windows 10 > Activate Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Multiple Installation failures / Error 0x80240020 - This appears to be caused by corrupted / missing files in the pre-download for Windows 10. Following these steps will clear that cache, then re-download the files.

If repairing the files do not work, please try following the media creation guide on Windows 10 - Upgrade Installation - Windows 10 Forums to upgrade from an ISO / USB.

Taken from > upgrade to windows 10 pro failed - Windows 10 Forums

Error 0x80070070 - This is a general out of space error, meaning you do not have enough space on your C:\ to install the upgrade.

Uninstalling / removing applications or files and allowing at least 30Gb of space should remove this error.

Taken from > We Couldn't install windows 10 0x80070070 - 0x2000C - Windows 10 Forums

Error 0x8007002C-4000D - This appears to be an issue with upgrading a system which has Symbolic links that do not resolve correctly, or applications which have redundant links.

These can be found by navigating to - "%WINDIR%\WindowsUpdate.log" and reviewing the logged information that contains the file that causes the error and removing it.

This was also an issue from the installation of Windows 8 via Upgrading.

Activation issues with Clean Installation of Windows 10 - The short answer is that you need to activate Windows 10, through the upgrade process first, before you perform a clean install.

Please see @Brinks post for the information regarding this > Clean Install after upgrade from 7 don't work !! Can't activate the OS - Windows 10 Forums

Blank Black Screen After Installation - This appears to be caused by default video settings within windows when the installation completes and It appears to be occurring within Laptops primarily.

The fix, is to use the Windows + P buttons to navigate through the Display selection windows and selecting the correct display adaptor. (Trial and error if you cannot see which selection it is.)

Common Faults / Fixes List [​IMG]

Thanks to @klemenhe for pointing this out > Windows 10 install stuck at black screen without cursor or anything - Page 3 - Windows 10 Forums

Recovery Boot
    If you encounter errors whilst running Windows 10, you can access the recovery menu by following these steps.
    1) Press Start and bring up the power options.
    2) Hold SHIFT whilst pressing Restart.

The computer will restart and show the blue recovery menu(The same as Windows 8)3) When the machine reboots, click Troubleshooting

Lose of Rights / Admin access required for certain files / folders.
    During the upgrade / installation, your user account is changed and may lose access to files stored on separate drives or areas.

To remedy this, you will need to 'Reset' the ownership of those files, which can be done by following this guide > Take Ownership - Add to Context Menu in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Change User Profile Name
    For some reason, during a clean installation, your user profile will use a generated ID, rather than that specified. This can be seen here > Solved User Profile Name Change - Windows 10 Forums

The fix for this is the same as with previous versions, by using this guide on SevenForums > User Profile Folder - Change User Account Folder Name - Windows 7 Help Forums

I feel that more will be added as we go through this, so please bear with us!
    If it is not in the list, or you still have problems with a previously mentioned item, please create a new thread and highlight what steps you have already followed, and the outcome!

:)

Windows Sniper, Jul 29, 2015
  2. Ramon Imp Win User

Internet faults and fixes

Hi Steven,

We suggest that you follow the steps on the article below on how to troubleshoot network connection issues.

Fix network connection issues in Windows 10.

Do you also encounter the same issue using other devices? If yes, it's best to reach out to your ISP regarding the issue.

Let us know if you have other questions.

Ramon Imp, Jul 29, 2015
  3. Internet faults and fixes

Hello, I have looked around and I can not seem to find a fix for my issue. I don't quite know even where to start since I know nothing about the internet and how it works. Hopefully, you guys can help me out because I don't think my ISP can. I have been
    having problems with gaming, for example, I will d/c right in the middle of a League of Legends fight and die over and over and it becomes annoying. I will be playing Civ 6 with friends and we will have to stop playing because I d/c and have to reconnect and
    I simply can not find out what the problem is. At my house, we have 2 internet connections, a 2.41 ghz and a 5 ghz. I am on the 5 ghz and still am having problems. I get a ping of 30 ms in the game but I will get HUGE spikes intermittently during the game
    and I can't play for a solid 2 minutes. I asked a Riot games server employee and he said judging by some tests that I am having problems. I think it is my computer that is making it this way and I need some help on trying to fix it. I am using a wifi adapter
    but still, I should not be getting spikes if I have a max of 30ms in a game. I also know this is an issue because I will have a webpage pulled up and I will come back and it will say the connection was reset or DNS server "example.com" cannot be reached.

Here are some pictures from my laptop of network issues:

Now
    here are some tests from my desktop:

Now.
    That is a lot to read and comprehend but the basis is that there are comparable pieces that show up on 2 different devices. That leads me to believe that it is because of my current ISP / internet setup. I do not know how to change / fix those. However, my
    desktop has more errors than my laptop and they are crucial. That leads me to believe that they are system errors on my desktop since they aren't shared between the 2 different sources. I do not know how to fix them and I will need some help on trying to figure
    out how to so that way I can play my games in peace. Here is another test with netsh wlan to show my current setup and once again, yes I am using wifi, and I know it is better to be plugged in but regardless, I should not have that much interference. I was
    playing at 6 am and I was the only one on my network and was still getting these spikes, just less severe.

Here is the report: MEGA

Thank you for your time and I hope the issue will be solved!

StevenCB_99, Jul 29, 2015
  4. Fafhrd Win User

Common Faults / Fixes List

Insider Builds Broken - Insider settings need attention
    Losing the Insider Builds feature sometimes happens, and there may be no easy fix. One reason this happens is that your computer name changes, then is therefore different from the computer installation of Windows 10 in your Microsoft Account device details Sign in to your Microsoft account , another is an updates problem. The fix it button does not work, and stopping being an insider can lock you out altogether. Installing Preview builds after that fail activation due to the current state of the activation servers.
    Insider Settings Need Attention Error 0x80310052 - Microsoft Community

Fafhrd, Jul 30, 2015
  5. yogalD Win User
    For anyone upgrading from Windows 8.1, if you have Aero Glass (glass8.eu), StartIsBack, OldNewExplorer, or Classic Shell installed, I would advise uninstalling them before upgrading. I didn't and ended up with a black screen (with mouse cursor, so not a display issue). After reverting to W8.1 and uninstalling these, the upgrade went through properly. I don't know which of these are causing the issue but I uninstalled them all and now it works.

yogalD, Jul 30, 2015
  6. sackese Win User
    I can tell that I had Classic Start Menu (part of CS) installed and that one didn't prevent install. FYI

sackese, Jul 30, 2015
  7. drreflex Win User
    THIS PROBLEM APPEARS TO BE A COMMON ISSUE DURING INSTALL. IT HAS BEEN AN ONGOING ISSUE WITH WINDOWS 10 DURING DEVELOPMENT.

Below is a Microsoft Knoledge Base entry from April of this year.

httpw://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3055414

"The lock screen in Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 might appear as a black screen with a mouse cursor
    Symptoms

When you sign out of Windows 10 Technical Preview Build 10061 and return to the lock screen, you might see only a black screen with a responsive mouse cursor. Pressing the Alt+Tab keys or the Ctrl+Alt+Del keys has no visible effect.
    Workaround

If you are experiencing this issue, follow these steps to sign into Windows:

At the black screen, press the Ctrl key once on an attached physical keyboard. (You won’t see any visible change, but pressing the Ctrl key will place the cursor in the password box that you’re currently not able to see.)

Now type the password of the user that just signed out and press Enter.This will sign you back into Windows and the desktop will appear.

If you failed to sign in because you mistyped the password, press Enter once more. Then retype the password and press Enter." ...

PLEASE NOTE: IF YOU ARE INSTALLING WINDOWS 10. AFTER ENTERING YOUR PASSWORD, THE CURSOR SHOULD VANISH FOR SEVERAL MINUTES WHILE WINDOWS COMPLETES THE INSTALL SETUP. MY COMPUTER, A FAST ALIENWARE, TOOK ABOUT FIVE MINUTES TO COMPLETE THE SETUP AND THEN THE WINDOWS 10 DESKTOP APPEARED.

drreflex, Jul 30, 2015
  8. Ztruker Win User

Windows Sniper, thank you for putting this together. I thought about doing it but was too lazy *Sad

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  9. I'm trying to Dual Boot Win10 with my existing Win7. My 'setup' is "fragile and huge", as in, I cannot afford to have anything modified/disabled/broken/corrupted/deleted/etc... Rather, I cannot afford ($$$) to but more 2TB+ HDD's to make a backup of my current OS HDD's. Would need 8TB (Yes, Terrabyte) HDD or RAID to do the image alone. (<<<That<<<Just the OS, my Data Partition/Drive D:\ is a 6x2TBHDD RAID...Games, Pics, HD Movies...)

I made a Bootable USB with the tool to make a Win10 Bootable USB media and used the drop-downs to make it a Win10 Pro 32+64 (Would need a DVD+R DL (8.xGB) for that Bootable DVD, too big for normal 4.xGB DVD). Using that ends at the Activation/Product Key screen and fails on Skip (~No License Agreement Found~) and when I use my Win7 Key it fails (~Unable to Activate~ (Assuming due to no network/drivers installed at that point)).

Is the only way to avail myself of the Win10 Upgrade offer Clean Install/Dual-Boot to:
    1. Upgrade existing Win7 to Win10
    2. Activate(?) 10
    3. Revert to 7
    4. DVD/USB Install to second partition
    5. PROFIT! 'Win7 or Win 10 Boot Screen'?

shaggygoblin, Jul 30, 2015
  10. Ztruker Win User
    Almost:

1. Upgrade existing Win7 to Win10
    2. Activate(?) 10
    3. Clean Install Win 10.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  11. without the revert to Win7, then I would have 2 installs of 10, no?

cheers for the fast reply, ty

12. Ztruker Win User
    No. You update Win 7 to 10 so now you have only Win 10.
    You clean install Win 10 replacing the Win 10 already there so you still have only one Win 10.

Ztruker, Jul 30, 2015
  13. Common Faults / Fixes List

right, so no dual boot... then being able to migrate things over time... unless just go pay $199 for a Full Win10 Media...
    If that's the only way to have a True Dual Boot with my existing Win 7 and a Fresh Win 10 is to buy Win 10 Media, it is cheaper (read safer, for me) to buy the media than more HDD's

So I would be a 'fringe case' where the Upgrade is not a good option.
    The years I've spent getting old stuff to work on Vista and then 7 (never used 8) would be lost if I just dumped 10 onto my existing install.

It seems to me that my issue may warrant its own thread, one dedicated to 'To Be Or Not To Be...' (Upgrade or Full) cases. If you guys also feel it's warranted feel free to move this and merge my previous posts.

14. Ztruker Win User
    hTconeM9user just posted this here: Error code 80070005 - Windows 10 Forums

Description

The error occurs when you attempt to install Windows updates. When you try to click on check for updates in Windows Update with administrator privileges you cannot install updates and instead you receive error code 80070005.

Step-by-step instruction

Error code 80070005 is caused by a number of factors some of which include an error in the DCOM configuration or the Automatic Updates service. You can begin to solve the problem by seeking verification for the DCOM configuration. To do this simply click on Start on your main toolbar on the desktop and then choose Run from the pop-up menu. When the Command Prompt appears type in dcomcnfg and then press the Enter key. When the Component Services window opens double click on the Component Services folder and then double click on the Computers folder. Right click on My Computer and then choose Properties from the drop down menu. When the Properties window opens click on the COM Security tab and then click on Edit Default and then check to see that the correct accounts are listed

In the event that one of your accounts is missing you can simply click on Add and then choose Advanced. Click on Locations and then choose Local Computer Name and then choose OK. Proceed to click on Find Now and then press down the CTRL key on your keyboard. Choose the correct Account Names and click OK twice.Under User Names choose the account that you added and then choose Local Access in the Permissions area and then place a check mark in the Allow column and then click OK.

Once you complete this process it is necessary to confirm the default settings for DCOM. You can do this by choosing the Default Propertiestab and make sure Enable Distributed COM has a check mark placed inside the selection box,Identifyis checked under Default Impersonation, and Connect has a check mark under Default Authentication and then click OK. Restart your computer when you have completed this process.

Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
  15. Ztruker Win User
    Ztruker, Jul 31, 2015
Thema:

1. Common Faults / Fixes List - Similar Threads - Common Faults Fixes

2. how to setup a group email list commonly used

in Windows 10 Gaming
    how to setup a group email list commonly used: I want to create a list of email recipients that I can just click and send without typing them in every time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-a-group-email-list-commonly-used/4e55aa92-051f-460e-a553-fb353c81f5e0
  3. how to setup a group email list commonly used

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    how to setup a group email list commonly used: I want to create a list of email recipients that I can just click and send without typing them in every time. https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-setup-a-group-email-list-commonly-used/4e55aa92-051f-460e-a553-fb353c81f5e0
  4. fix error ? Common::Deployment::MsixvcStagingSession::GetManif estReader in...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
    fix error ? Common::Deployment::MsixvcStagingSession::GetManif estReader in...: help me plsss https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-error/3410fecb-4328-4a9b-8ecc-cefdbb60f3af
  5. fix error ? Common::Deployment::MsixvcStagingSession::GetManif estReader in...

fix error ? Common::Deployment::MsixvcStagingSession::GetManif estReader in...: help me plsss https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/fix-error/3410fecb-4328-4a9b-8ecc-cefdbb60f3af
  6. fix error ? Common::Deployment::MsixvcStagingSession::GetManif estReader in...

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Audio not working - common fixes don't work.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Audio not working - common fixes don't work.: Hi. My PC is currently not playing any audio. I’m running Windows 10 Home 10.0.19044 Build 19044. I’ve already:Restarted the PC.Verified that all cables, including the HDMI linking the PC and TV, are connected properly; I tried unplugging them and plugging them back in at...
  8. Audio not working - common fixes don't work.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Audio not working - common fixes don't work.: Hi. My PC is currently not playing any audio. I’m running Windows 10 Home 10.0.19044 Build 19044. I’ve already:Restarted the PC.Verified that all cables, including the HDMI linking the PC and TV, are connected properly; I tried unplugging them and plugging them back in at...
  9. Camera not listed in Device Manager fault 0xA00F4244

Camera not listed in Device Manager fault 0xA00F4244: After a recent Windows update, my camera stopped working. I've worked through various fixes privacy settings, reset app etc. but nothing seems to work. The problem seems to be that the camera is no longer listed in the device manager list at all. Can anyone help?...
  10. Microsoft is building a list of most commonly used & leaked passwords

in Windows 10 News
    Microsoft is building a list of most commonly used & leaked passwords: Microsoft is building a list of most commonly used & leaked passwords 117M leaked creds (from LinkedIn?). New best practices + #AzureAD and MSA can help Howdy folks, You probably saw the news last week that a hacker was selling a list with 117M usernames and...