Windows 10: Compatibility Mode Ignored When Opening File in Explorer

Discus and support Compatibility Mode Ignored When Opening File in Explorer in Windows 10 Software and Apps to solve the problem; So we have a label printing program that the manufacturer built in a nice little "If WindowsVersion > 7 Then t('.'t)" message. We upgraded all... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Software and Apps' started by Overkill, Aug 4, 2016.

1. Overkill Win User

Compatibility Mode Ignored When Opening File in Explorer

So we have a label printing program that the manufacturer built in a nice little "If WindowsVersion > 7 Then t('.'t)" message. We upgraded all officially supported by Dell machines to Windows 10, and we tested the program with Compatibility Mode set, everything worked fine. However, one of our users reported an issue we didn't test; if they open a label file (.lab) from Explorer, it completely ignores the compatibility settings that are on her machine. The settings were changed for all users, not just her, so it's not the problem. Does anybody have suggestions on where to look?

I'm going to be digging into the registry myself, just hoping somebody's seen this before or can help narrow my search. I'm going to start with the file association and see if maybe it's launching a different exe or something...but I don't think it is.

:)

Overkill, Aug 4, 2016

2. File Explorer has gone crazy after last nights upgrade.

My only has icons instead of full descriptions. I can not get back to a point where I have tabs that actually say something. Please tell me how to get my view repaired? help... Help.... HELP!!!

File Explorer, Aug 4, 2016
  3. Andre Da Costa, Aug 4, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, not quite sure what you're saying..
    - do you mean that if you double click a .lab file, the wrong program is launched (you later refer to file association)
    or
    - do you mean that if you double click a .lab file, the program behaves as if it hadn't been launched in Win 7 compatibility mode
    or
    - sthg else

Thanks!

dalchina, Aug 5, 2016
  5. Overkill Win User
    This one:
    I get the error that the program gives w/o CM turned on about the OS being too new for the software (because they were THAT focused on planned obsolescence). We're in the process of upgrading the software, but in the meantime it would be swell if I could get the users functional.

Overkill, Aug 13, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    Hi, sounds a tricky one.
    I just changed the compatibility setting on one program to Win 7 for all users.
    Here's what happened in the registry during that (some changes are not directly related of course).
    There seems one change related to compatibility.
    Keys added.doc

You might have more success by setting compatibility for .lab to launch a simple script which launches the target program in the appropriate compatibility mode.

And see (e.g.)
    Compatibility Mode Settings for Apps - Change in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums
    (last section) and
    Running an Application as Administrator or in Compatibility Mode Anything about IT

Have to admit, I've never noticed the effect on compatibility of a file association like that.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Compatibility Mode Ignored When Opening File in Explorer - Similar Threads - Compatibility Mode Ignored

2. File Explorer opens in 'Detail' mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    File Explorer opens in 'Detail' mode: I'm working on a project that I was working on prior to upgrading to Windows 11. Now when I open it the folders open in "Detail" mode instead of 'Large Icons". I set it to 'Large Icons'. A few hours later when I open it again it's back to "Detail'. Is it possible to set my...
  3. File Explorer opens in 'Detail' mode

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    File Explorer opens in 'Detail' mode: I'm working on a project that I was working on prior to upgrading to Windows 11. Now when I open it the folders open in "Detail" mode instead of 'Large Icons". I set it to 'Large Icons'. A few hours later when I open it again it's back to "Detail'. Is it possible to set my...
  4. Edge Browser crashed when open internet explorer compatible mode

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Edge Browser crashed when open internet explorer compatible mode: Hi,Due microsoft is going to terminate internet explorer, some of industrial applications which not works on other browsers. As microsoft mentioned there is an option to run internet explore apps on edge. When i try to do so edge is crashed. This is what i got in event viewer...
  5. Edge Browser crashed when open internet explorer compatible mode

Edge Browser crashed when open internet explorer compatible mode: Hi,Due microsoft is going to terminate internet explorer, some of industrial applications which not works on other browsers. As microsoft mentioned there is an option to run internet explore apps on edge. When i try to do so edge is crashed. This is what i got in event viewer...
  6. Edge Browser crashed when open internet explorer compatible mode

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  7. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  8. FIle explorer slow when opening files

in Windows 10 Gaming
    FIle explorer slow when opening files: Hello everyone. Just recently out of the blue I have a file explorer issue. The file explorer works fine apart from when I want to attach a file on some website for example or just open a file in photoshop or opening files generally. I have noticed 3 iterations of this issue...
  9. FIle explorer slow when opening files

10. Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows Explorer crashes when renaming files with a certain extension, ignores attempts to...: I'm currently facing a problem in Windows 10 where any files with the extension .ogg completely lock up in Explorer. This only started recently, and I was able to handle these files completely normally until then. If I try to rename them, Explorer freezes and I have to...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can i set compatibility mode for a program that opens in explorer