Windows 10: Complete newbie advice needed for win10 to go!

Discus and support Complete newbie advice needed for win10 to go! in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi guys please have paitence with me on the installation of Win10 on the go environment! I've been reading alot and have not yet put it into practice... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by GOGO, Oct 20, 2014.

1. GOGO Win User

Complete newbie advice needed for win10 to go!

Hi guys please have paitence with me on the installation of Win10 on the go environment!
    I've been reading alot and have not yet put it into practice yet.
    Waiting for a USB3.0 Scandisk Extreme 32GB to be delivered I want to use on win10.
    I've collected loads of software listed here bellow and so confused which ones to use LOL!

Imagex
    Rufus1.4.10
    KB3AIK_EN
    WintoUSB_setup_1.6_Beta
    Win10 client Enterprise build 9841 X86&X64

Questions:
    Worried about ScanDisk flash drive being a non cert portable device, guessing only thing that makes it a fixed drive is the number of partions you are allowed to stick on the volume?

Assumption need a simple software to conver the volume on the flash drive to a Fixed drive notation?

I've heard I need keys for the Win10 to go can I use the same key thats going to activate this on a normal PC?

Can I get away with runnning it on a USB2.0?

Please fill in any gaps I have missed any info will help me as TBF I will only use win10 just for testing purposes short term only.

:)

2. joe)) Win User

Not able to delete all the shortcut icons created by mistake

complete newbie needs help.

my pc is running slowly and I think its my fault.

my 'files waiting to be burned to disc' was over 3000 icons long and I thought I was creating a folder to put them in so that I could go through it at a later date to delete or cancel what wasn't necessary. By accident I turned them all into shortcuts on
    my homescreen and Ive deleted the ones I can see but obviously cant get rid of the ones I cant see.

any help for this newbie would definitely be appreciated, thanks

(Original title: newbie)

joe)), Oct 20, 2014
  3. Nokia 8800 - Complete Newby Needs Help !!

Hi All

Im a complete newby to this tech lark so could do with some help!

Basically ive just got a nokia 8800 phone & its got nothing on it so I want to transfer some tunes, vids etc onto it.

Firstly ive installed the nokia pc suite & updated it on my pc but then relaised that the phone doesnt have a cable dock to connect to the pc !

Ive ordered a bluetooth dongle like this:
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BLUETOOTH-DONGLE-FOR-NOKIA-N-GAGE-8800-6280-6230i-7373_W0QQitemZ220133688184QQihZ012QQcategoryZ80078QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Do i need to install the software that come with the dongle? i.e. drivers & blue soleil?

When ive got passed this bit i assume pc suite will see the phone then?

Any step by step help would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Jason

jason44mag, Oct 20, 2014
  4. jimbo45 Win User

Hi there

This method works (although W8 it works for W10). You DON'T have to use "Certified devices" either. Install though on an EXTERNAL USB HDD rather than a USB stick - you'll get much better performance.

Note - you will need the ENTERPRISE version of W8/W10 to do this though so download the ENTERPRISE edition if you have only got the "Standard" preview.

If you can use an SSD -- connect to the machine via a USB3 / USB2 ==>SATA cable. Screenshot shown of the USB3==>SATA. USB2==>SATA is similar -- you don't need any extra power for the SSD / small SATA drive -- an old laptop HDD makes a really good external HDD for this -you don't need to get any enclosure for the old laptop HDD either.

Creating a Non-Certified Windows To Go USB Drive » ADMIN Magazine

I use this mainly for getting SKY GO / NETFLIX when I'm travelling as I normally run Linux on my HOST laptop and these services don't work on VM's due to some DRM issues with Silverlight. So I just boot up the Windows to Go if I want to watch say SKY sports in an overseas Hotel room etc. Plus you can have all your own Language versions of Office etc -- so many uses for Windows to Go --it's a great facility.

I find that even on a USB2 connection response time is fine - use an old Laptop HDD - I wouldn't bother with a USB stick unless it's one of the ultra new USB3 type that the computer "Thinks" is a real HDD. !!!

On a USB3 connection with an SSD - or even direct SATA==>SATA connection the system will FLY - probably be better than your NATIVE installation if that uses a conventional HDD rather than an SSD.

Cheers
    jimbo

jimbo45, Oct 21, 2014
  5. GOGO Win User
    Hello Jimbo thanks for the information!
    I tried wintogo just to install and NOT run off the stick and it failed got a restart PC right after booting from FDD.
    Will try AIK and imagx next to see if that will work.
    Got issues with a water block at the moment so my MOBO is cooler less.
    Did stick win7 from DVD and all booted upwell as this was a new build and no drivers were installed. So once everything is stable I will have another go at running win10 off the USB.
    I wanted to use a X1 pcI-e slot that has a USB 3.0 built onto it as I'm sure its good for upto 250MB/s. But have not worked out if the Bios can pick it up as a bootable flash device yet.

GOGO, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Complete newbie advice needed for win10 to go! - Similar Threads - Complete newbie advice

2. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!: HiBit of a long start but I feel it's justified, as I hope you will see.I used Win7 and backed up by copying the Windows partition to another removable hard drive. Whenever Windows stopped working I could easily replace the non-working installation with the latest backup and...
  3. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!: HiBit of a long start but I feel it's justified, as I hope you will see.I used Win7 and backed up by copying the Windows partition to another removable hard drive. Whenever Windows stopped working I could easily replace the non-working installation with the latest backup and...
  4. Win10 Advice Needed For A Working Backup Strategy!

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Newbie need help plz

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Newbie need help plz: I occasionally have an issue where games and other files show like a file and an internet explorer logo. Common? submitted by /u/Dullestwillow27 [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/ivoi5n/newbie_need_help_plz/
  6. Win10 stuck on Shutdown? Need advice!

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Win10 stuck on Shutdown? Need advice!: I built my PC in January and never had any big problems. A couple of days ago, it just started to not shutdown anymore (To turn it off i have to use force-shutdown by pressing the button for a couple of seconds). For some reason it shut down normally earlier today, when i...
  7. Going to W10, need some advice.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need some advice.: Going to W10, need some advice. Hi, Currently running W7 Pro32 bit MSI I5 laptop & use it mainly for managing our Retirement funds, Healthcare along with research, learning about what's going on in the world today. I'm a retired busn Mgr & have been using PC's since the...
  8. Going to W10, need advice on laptop.

in Windows 10 Support
    Going to W10, need advice on laptop.: Going to W 10, need advice on laptop. Currently I have an MSI 17" laptop with 256GB ssd w?W7 Pro 32 bit. And it has been the best PC Ive owned in 30 yr.Still get several hr on orig batt. My computing is done "ABOVE the CODE & HDWE." HVerave been an info mgr, analyzer for 50...
  9. A newbie question on Windows To Go

in Windows 10 Support
    A newbie question on Windows To Go: I know WinToGo is applicable only to Enterprise version................ officially. My question is : If I have win 10 installed to a certified USB ( yes, I know I can use a non-certified one with limitations), I can take it to any Windows computer, plug it in, and...
  10. Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Newbie needs advice moving Win8.1 ==> Win10: Hi I am new here. I need to update my laptop and my desktop, both of which are running Windows 8.1 Pro x64. On both computers there is quite a lot of software installed and Window 8.1 is quite old and running rather slowly... A) I should do a clean install ? If so...