Windows 10: Completing a failed Input/Output Control (IOCTL) request

Discus and support Completing a failed Input/Output Control (IOCTL) request in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging to solve the problem; "Completing a failed IOCTL request." Hi, About two months ago I began to receive sporadic Input/Output Control errors. I would not have even known... Discussion in 'Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging' started by DeanPoulos, Jul 20, 2018.

1. Completing a failed Input/Output Control (IOCTL) request

"Completing a failed IOCTL request."

Hi,

About two months ago I began to receive sporadic Input/Output Control errors. I would not have even known had I not looked over the codes which accumulate on my storage Backplane. Unless an alarm is tripped which would generate 1 or more RED codes, the normal codes for the daily log simply provide typical information between the RAID Controller and the Storage and Backplane.

I also finally realized this I/O error has an effect on the Read/Write speeds of my Storage Array. However, whatever the cause of this intermittent I/O bottleneck is, given my Array, I would never have noticed it.

The problem is I use this Workstation 90% of the time to create VDI's for Clients using VMware vCloud Air and the rest of what I do is modeling, 3D, and editing very large 5K+ Files and Videos. My concern now is the I/O slowdown and the VDIs. If it happens during the transfer of a set of configured VDI's I am sending to a client, for some reason it corrupts the Virtual Network for each VDI (Created with NSX). If that happens enough times, I will need to begin to purchase and start stacking PoE switches.

I already had Broadcom/Avago's Tech team conduct a remote support session and they have no idea why an error like this would be happening.

Lastly, this has never happened before. When I checked the log, the earliest date of the first occurrence was 3 days after I let through the April Windows update. I typically delay the updates 2-3 months and if I do not hear of any horror stories, I move forward.

It happened 3 days after I let version 1803, build 17134 through. That said, (before any major update, or change of any kind) I create a Restorable Point in Time Snapshot and any files from new work done after the most recent PIT snap, are synced. So, I can format and create the RAID Array again, and in the process wipe everything, then use the last PIT snap to restore the OS/Apps and Files. HOWEVER, I REALLY would prefer not to go back to the update prior to 1803 if at all possible. That 1803 update implemented HDR. Lastly, I've been running Win 10 Pro since I build this PC (about 8 months). I know this is a shot in the dark, but I do own a number of Win 10 Enterprise upgrades, but have hesitated given the stability of the system. Any opinions on moving from Win 10 Pro to Enterprise?

This is a copy of the error below is under the error is my PC configuration.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. THANK YOU....

"<EventData>

<Data Name="DeviceGUID">{2EF97040-7307-AF5E-8264-324AD165DEE1}</Data>
    <Data Name="DeviceNumber">0</Data>

<Data Name="Vendor">AVAGO</Data>
    <Data Name="Model">LSI 9361-8i</Data>
    <Data Name="FirmwareVersion">4.68</Data>
    <Data

Name="SerialNumber">0009244618d62b6f229085b60cb00506</Data>
    <Data Name="IrpStatus">0xc0000185</Data>
    <Data Name="IoctlControlCode">0x74080</Data>
    </EventData>
    </Event>

PC Configuration

1. ASUS X99-E SSI/CEB WS Motherboard / 3.1
    2. Intel Core i7 6950X (Broadwell E CPU)
    3. Eiswand CPU 360 External Cooling System
    4. 2-NVIDIA Quadro P5000 Pascal GPUs (SLI'd)
    5. 1-LSI MegaRAID 12 Gb/s 9361 8i Mini-SAS-SFF 2.5 inch Controller, 2GB 1,888 RAM
    6. 1-CacheVault™ NAND flash SuperCapacitor for Write Back, with Flash Module.

7. 8 x 400GB Mini SAS SSDs (2.5") Total Virtual C:\ Drive 3.2GB implemented at RAID-0 SSDs: HGST (HUSMH8040ASS200) 12 Gb/s Mini-SFF SAS.

8. IPC-S2082-ITX 2U 12 HOTSWAP SFF-8643 12 Gb/s Mini SAS SSD Storage Backplane (2 x 500 Watt PSUs)

9. Supermicro PWS-1K68A-1R 1U 1600W Redundant Titanium Power Supply (Modular)
    10. Windows 10 Pro

Thanks,

Dean

:)

DeanPoulos, Jul 20, 2018
  2. EdTittel Win User

a request for device descriptor request failed

Maybe it's time to step back from the current efforts, and start over. I suggest you read over this excellent tutorial and try all of its steps: [Solved] Unknown USB Device (Device Descriptor Request Failed) for Windows 10 - Driver Easy. The one that may provide you with some easy relief is the one where you uninstall the device whose descriptor is failing, reboot, and see what happens when device enumeration recurs during boot-up. If you're lucky, it will fix itself.
    HTH,
    --Ed--

EdTittel, Jul 20, 2018
  3. titan5800 Win User
    a request for device descriptor request failed

my bios is and custom unlocked bios (latest version) (thanks to Bios Mods -The Best BIOS Update and Modification Source ) because of lenovo hardware whitlist maybe thats causing the problem???

titan5800, Jul 20, 2018
  4. Maria Fab Win User

Completing a failed Input/Output Control (IOCTL) request

iocontrol of driver

Hi Shaikshavali,

We suggest that you post your query on the MSDN forum for better assistance. Check this

link

Regards.

Maria Fab, Jul 20, 2018
Thema:

Completing a failed Input/Output Control (IOCTL) request

1. Completing a failed Input/Output Control (IOCTL) request - Similar Threads - Completing failed Input

2. Present input but no output

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Present input but no output: Why does my laptop detect my earphone's mic but not recognize it as an output?I have already updated everything and checked the settings, but nothing has worked. :...
  3. Present input but no output

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Present input but no output: Why does my laptop detect my earphone's mic but not recognize it as an output?I have already updated everything and checked the settings, but nothing has worked. :...
  4. No input or output device.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    No input or output device.: My laptop had this weird update, and after the update my laptop crashed a few times. Then after that when I finally logged on, my laptop had no input or output devices. And what I mean is, there is no default sound system where, just as the laptop, it can produce sounds. My...
  5. input and output

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    input and output: Im on a laptop and it doesnt recognise the microphone array, the headphones, the headphones microphone and the speakers of the laptop. so basically there is no input and no output. i searched on google how to make it work but none of the ways i found worked. it happened after...
  6. Audio Input And Output

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Audio Input And Output: Is there any way I can sent an audio device's output as an input. As in playing audio and it going through a mic/input. submitted by /u/Shreksc00ch [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/kijzcr/audio_input_and_output/
  7. Input and output Sound

in Windows 10 Customization
    Input and output Sound: Hi there! I need help with my Input and Output sound. I have recently bought headphones that had a mic on the cable. When I switched the headphones as my output it doesn't show my headphones mic as an input. But if I put my headphones mic as in input it doesn't put my...
  8. No input and output devices.

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    No input and output devices.: Sound not working after the update. Troubleshooter displaying no audio device installed. I tried updating and reinstalling the sound drivers but nothing changed. I observed that after every updating something starts malfunctioning. It's a lattitud E6430....
  9. Sound input and output

in Windows 10 Customization
    Sound input and output: I was wondering, how do I make it so that the input and output of sound, basically the microphone and earphone, are in the same place, as I don't have headphones but still want to use my microphone on the earphones...
  10. no input or output sounds

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    no input or output sounds: i recently did a hard reset now sound nor mic are working i am on an rca 2 n 1 windows10 also my touch screen is all screwy https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/no-input-or-output-sounds/fb9550bd-6813-4bd2-be12-c6d35d2c47da

Users found this page by searching for:

1. completing a failed ioctl request.

2. completing a failed ioctl request

3. completing a failed ioctl

4. ioctl request multiuser dont load,
  5. ioctl input output error,
  6. sc_process_ioctl failed,
  7. ioctl failed,
  8. nvme Completing a failed IOCTL request IrpStatus 0xc0000185 ,
  9. ssd Completing a failed IOCTL request,
  10. get_smart_version ioctl failed,
  11. 504microsoft-windows-stordiagerrorcompleting a failed ioctl request.,