Windows 10: Compulsory Updates on 3G only PC?

Discus and support Compulsory Updates on 3G only PC? in Windows 10 Updates and Activation to solve the problem; Following on from this... I have at least 5 Windows 7 PCs in my house and one on my boat. I really don't want to have to download Windows several... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Updates and Activation' started by nigelmercier, Jul 20, 2015.

1. Compulsory Updates on 3G only PC?

Following on from this...
    I'm a bit concerned about the so called compulsory updates. I understand that once Windows 10 has been installed, all critical updates are automatically downloaded, and your can't turn this off.

I have a PC that only has a 3G connection most of the time, but once a week or so I connect to a Wi-Fi Hotspot for any large downloads, including checking updates.

What will happen when I get Windows 10?

:)

nigelmercier, Jul 20, 2015

2. Windows keeps crashing while updating!

The problem does not concern 'driver updates' it only occurs when installing the compulsory Windows 10 updates from Microsoft

AdrianMcAulay, Jul 20, 2015
  3. Nokia 1520 battery drain

Windows 10 is not a compulsory update(till now). You need to download the upgrade advisor app on your phone, proceed with the app to get the upgrade and only then will the update download on your phone.

Stranger_Hanyo, Jul 20, 2015
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Compulsory Updates on 3G only PC?

Brink, Jul 20, 2015
  5. Hi,
    In win 8/10 you can set up a metered or non metered connection to prevent large downloads
    If you set your 3G connection as metered then it will prevent downloads, these will then occur when you connect to a WiFi hotspot

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/3...dows-10-a.html

EDIT: Beaten to it *Smile

paulsalter, Jul 20, 2015
  6. Great news, thanks both. I was really concerned about this.

nigelmercier, Jul 21, 2015
  7. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Glad we could help. *Smile

Brink, Jul 21, 2015
  8. DarkStar Win User

Is there a solution for PCs with an Ethernet connection, and monthly usage capped by the ISP? (More accurately, an ISP who changes >£2/GB over the monthly limit). I did find this How to Set an Ethernet Connection as Metered in Windows 8 and 10 but am wary. Ideally, where I can absolutely control what updates to download and when.

DarkStar, Nov 2, 2016
  9. Brink
    Brink New Member
    Brink, Nov 2, 2016
  10. DarkStar Win User
    DarkStar, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Compulsory Updates on 3G only PC? - Similar Threads - Compulsory Updates

2. compulsory updating...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    compulsory updating...: I have a win10 laptop and rarely venture into someone elses network i can use normally. I say normally as we're on a seriously expensive and very very slow metered connection. Today my laptop offered just two options when i selected shut down.1 Stop and update2 Restart and...
  3. compulsory updating...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    compulsory updating...: I have a win10 laptop and rarely venture into someone elses network i can use normally. I say normally as we're on a seriously expensive and very very slow metered connection. Today my laptop offered just two options when i selected shut down.1 Stop and update2 Restart and...
  4. compulsory updating...

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  5. I reset my microsoft store and now it is not working what should i do?Is it Compulsory to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    I reset my microsoft store and now it is not working what should i do?Is it Compulsory to...: I need help after resetting i am not able to access my Microsoft store and as I think I shut down the laptop after resetting I did not restart, so will the shut down affect anything?...
  6. I reset my microsoft store and now it is not working what should i do?Is it Compulsory to...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I reset my microsoft store and now it is not working what should i do?Is it Compulsory to...: I need help after resetting i am not able to access my Microsoft store and as I think I shut down the laptop after resetting I did not restart, so will the shut down affect anything?...
  7. I reset my microsoft store and now it is not working what should i do?Is it Compulsory to...

in Microsoft Windows 10 Store
  8. Setting up a compulsory MS account - step by step

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Setting up a compulsory MS account - step by step: So it is Saturday night and nothing to do anyway, so if some not so intellectually great MS geniuses have decided to turn setting up a PC, normally a boring technical activity, into a circus show, why not support them. They need what they think is my info so I make it up......
  9. Are these updates compulsory? What are they for?

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Are these updates compulsory? What are they for?: [ATTACH] submitted by /u/DanielCracker [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/e9ebcp/are_these_updates_compulsory_what_are_they_for/
  10. Windows 10 Home Forced Compulsory Windows Updates?

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Windows 10 Home Forced Compulsory Windows Updates?: Hi, On Wiki it says Windows 10 Home has compulsory Windows Updates: Windows 10 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia As I understand it, this means Windows 10 Home users are forced Windows Updates regardless is they want to download and install or not. I hope this is...