Windows 10: Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Discus and support Computer appears on network only as Media Device in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by TerryPetersen1, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

I have two computers, a desktop and a laptop, whose files I want to share over a network. This was possible until the recent OS revisions. I have followed the current instructions for file sharing/networking--setting permissions, etc. On both computers only the desktop appears in File Explorer listed under Network/Computer(s). The laptop appears only under Media Devices and I am unable to access any but media (video, music and picture) files. Any assistance would be appreciated.

:)

TerryPetersen1, Jul 21, 2018

2. Network notwork - computers listed as media devices. 1803 again!

Notwork of 3 computers, Win 10, all patched to v1803, D is pro, hard wired to router, E is wife's desk and R is new portable - both 10-home on Wi-Fi.

R is new, an Asus SonicMaster S510U that is recognized by the router. It has internet connectivity but I cannot transfer files to it except with sneakernet.

I looked at the network structure on each computer using "Control Panel devices and printers" as well as File mgr - Network.

D- devices: D and E listed as media devices, no computers, D does not see R.
    D- Network: D and E listed as media devices. Dbl click either brings up Media Player.

E- devices: D and R listed as media devices.
    E- Network: D and E listed as computers and D again as a media device.

R- devices: D and E show up as media devices.
    R- Network: R as a computer and D as a media device.

The new laptop R is a ghost, sometimes seen but mostly not and doesn't participate.

Using Team Viewer 12
    D and E connect, test file transfers OK.
    D and R connect, I can see partial R desktop (shows links but not folders), R sees D file structure, files will not transfer.

Don't know if this matters - I ran the Network troubleshooter on all three computers - "Windows could not automatically detect this network's proxy settings", on any of them.

I'm a geologist at wits end.

stonecherub, Jul 21, 2018
  3. Workgroup Computers are displayed as Media Devices

I have several Win10 computers on a "WORKGROUP" network. Network location is set to private on all machines with network discovery and file and printer sharing activated. Two computers are listed as workgroup computers and two as media devices. What do I have to do in order to get the media devices to show up as workgroup computers?

MisterD2016, Jul 21, 2018
  4. Computer appears on network only as Media Device

Last Windows 10 update changed systems on my network to Media Devices

In the past, each computer was listed under Network in the left pane. I could click on a system and the drives would appear in the right pane.

Now it does not list the computers under >Network in the left pane. It just shows the two computes on my network as media systems and also lists all other devices on the network. Includes printers, gateway, MyWDCloud, etc. in the right pane.

DanHolahan, Jul 21, 2018
Thema:

Computer appears on network only as Media Device

1. Computer appears on network only as Media Device - Similar Threads - Computer appears network

2. Network drive attached to TPlink 2300 router appears as a media device

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Network drive attached to TPlink 2300 router appears as a media device: I've spent ages trying to get a Samsung T5 drive attached by USB to my TPLink 2300 router to work as networked storage over my wireless network. My laptop PCs apparently see the drive as a media device (MiniDLNA) and although I can see all the folders only files such as jpg...
  3. Hidden Network is the only network appearing

Hidden Network is the only network appearing: Hello, The hidden network is the only network appearing. I have updated the network driver for my IntelR Dual Band Wireless-AC 8260 adapter and it says that the device is working in the device manager. I have also tried resetting my network settings and have updated my...
  4. Network Drive opens as Media Device only

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Network Drive opens as Media Device only: *I'm sure this is an answered question. a link will suffice. thanks. I'm banging my head on the desk to some degree; I have followed all of the official steps to share a drive on the network (sans 'home group'), PC#1 shares a drive, and PC#2 can see it, and open it. But only...
  5. Laptop appears as Media device

Laptop appears as Media device: We just bought a new Laptop. In networking it shows as a Media Device not a computer and I cannot connect to it. 134055
  6. unknown devices appears in networks and devices

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    unknown devices appears in networks and devices: [IMG][ATTACH]Hello, when I type in the search bar (bottom left of the screen) Networks and Devices (View Computers and Networks and more below Control Panel) my router appears but there is also, and this often , another device, Sometimes it's a cell phone (named Shamu,...
  7. Other PCs on home network only show as media devices

Other PCs on home network only show as media devices: We used to have shares setup between the 4 computers on our home network. After the last update, the PCs only show up and connect as Media Devices. I can no longer access folders and files between computers. How can I fix this?...
  8. After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices"

After recent updates to Windows 10 my network computers are only listed a "media devices": After the last 2 Windows 10 updates my network computers are only listed on the network as "media devices". How do I correct this? thanks, Denis...
  9. network changed to media device

network changed to media device: Hi, I have 2 computers on a workgroup network. I don't use Home network. This was working right before. Now, the second computer shows up as a media device on the first computer. Media Steaming is off. The network page says computer1 and Media Devices says...
  10. Network Locations/Media Devices

Network Locations/Media Devices: Hello everyone, I have encountered a problem, one which I cannot seem to solve. I have several shared folders and media streaming enabled on my PC which originally displayed under 'This PC' as a Network Location, however now it is not displayed there at all and the only...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. network sees computer as a media device

2. computer appears as media device

3. network computer appears as a media device

4. network computer shows as media device,
  5. windows 10 appears as media device,
  6. computer shows as media device in network,
  7. network pc appears as media device only,
  8. media device on network,
  9. desktop shows up as media device on home network,
  10. network computer shows up as media device,
  11. my networked pc shows as a media device,