Windows 10: Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D

Discus and support Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; Hi. Here's a screen shot. Woke up and fired up computer this morning. Went to access my External Hard-Drive. I have several of these, and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by Mofojackson, Jan 22, 2018.

1. Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D

Hi. Here's a screen shot.

Woke up and fired up computer this morning.

Went to access my External Hard-Drive.

I have several of these, and the one I needed has been assigned drive letter G:

Was showing up as 'I' and not letting me access.

Upon closer look it appears some 'CD' drive showing up out of nowhere assigned itself to 'G' now.

I put a disc into the 'D:' drive and that shows up when I do.

But I can't change this new 'CD' drive that's showing up as 'G' in explorer, because it doesn't show up in disc manager where we can reassign new drive letters.

Anybody know how to over-come this?

:)

Mofojackson, Jan 22, 2018
  2. Micah Bat Win User

Windows 10 update hides disk

Hi,

To better assist you regarding your concern, we would like to ask some questions:

• Are you referring to an external hard disk drive or an internal hard disk drive?
    • Are you receiving an error message when you are trying to access it?
    • Have you checked if there is a letter assigned to your hard disk drive?

If you are referring to an internal hard disk drive, kindly check if there is a letter assigned to it. If there is none, kindly assign a letter. It can be that there is no letter assigned to the second hard disk drive that is causing it to be read as unknown
    and cannot be accessed. To do so, follow the steps below:

• Open File Explorer.
    • Right-click on This PC.
    • Click Manage.
    • Click Disk Management.
    • Right-click on your second hard disk drive.
    • Click Change Drive Letter
      and
      Paths.
    • Click Add.
    • Click Assign the following drive letter.
    • Choose the letter you want.
    • Click OK.

By then, your hard disk drive should now have a drive letter and check if you can now access it.

Let us know how it goes.

Micah Bat, Jan 22, 2018
  3. awinston Win User
    How do I get my other computer harddrive to be accessed as an external drive

I have 1TB hard drive which used to run windows 10 with UEFI boot. I tried connecting it as an external drive to another computer which runs win 10 with UEFI as well, but I cannot access the files in it.

The external drive shows up in device manager and in disk managements as GPT partition. But cannot assign drive to it, as its greyed out. Tried using Diskpart to assign a drive letter to it but it did not allow me. I read something online that it may be
    protected due to UEFI etc and most solutions required reformating. I would like to remove some files from it before doing a reformat.

Is there anyway I can access the data on the hard drive at all?

awinston, Jan 22, 2018
  4. Brink
    Brink New Member

Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D

Brink, Jan 22, 2018
  5. CountMike New Member
    CountMike, Jan 23, 2018
  6. spunk Win User
    If you opened an ISO image in Windows, it would create a temporary Virtual CD drive to view the contents. If you no longer need this, right click the Virtual CD drive and choose Eject. The Temporary CD drive should disappear.
    Now back in Disk Management, you can choose whichever drive letter you want by right clicking a drive and choose Change Drive Letters or Paths. If a drive letter is taken, choose the next available drive letter for that drive, this will free up the drive letter you want for the drive you want to have for that drive letter, and change the drive letter of the drive you want to change to the now available drive letter. It is always best to choose drive letters lower in the alphabet. When you assign the drive letter here, it should stay even it if is an external drive.

spunk, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D

1. Computer Assigned A False Drive Letter - Cannot Access External Hard-D - Similar Threads - Computer Assigned False

2. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  3. Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Unable to assign a drive letter to an external drive.: I'm Using Windows 11. I have a few hard drives that I want to use in an external dock. for storage. I have one that shows up healthy and online in Disk Manager and it shows in Device Manager. No drive letter is assigned and Disk Manager won't let me assign one. It also does...
  4. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  5. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    External USB drive letter assignment problem: Hi All,I'm faced with a little conundrum concerning what I feel the 'willy-nilly' assignment of a drive letter to external SSD backup disks.Looking for your insights and hopefully solutions.When I attach disk-1 to my brand new Dell laptop running Windows 10 updates up to date...
  6. External USB drive letter assignment problem

in Windows 10 Gaming
  7. Access to hard drive external to computer

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Access to hard drive external to computer: I recently bought a new desktop computer and loaded my data on to it from backups. I had a problem and wanted to access the hard drive from the old computer, so I installed it in a hard drive enclosure and plugged it into the new computer. However I cannot access the data on...
  8. External Hard drive cannot access

External Hard drive cannot access: Hello, I have stored videos and photo on a maxtor back when I used a mac, before i got it stolen. I recently got a Dell laptop and I haven't been able to access any of the data on the hard drive. I tried going through Computer management > disk management but still can't...
  9. Cannot Assign Drive Letter

Cannot Assign Drive Letter: Normally when a drive has no drive letter, I can assign one in disk manager but not this time. Disk Manager does not provide the option of assigning a drive letter so I cannot use the drive??? [img] 111481
  10. Cannot assign a drive letter

Cannot assign a drive letter: Hi folk. I have an external drive where the electronics of the case has failed. I have switched the drive into my pc so that I can use it as an internal drive. The drive is still operational but I cannot see it listed in my drives. Opening up disk manager shows the drive is...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. windows 10 assigins (D:) (K:) letters to the same disc drive