Windows 10: Computer awakes by itself

Discus and support Computer awakes by itself in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; A few days ago I downloaded win 10 and everything is going pretty well except.. every night at 12:15 exactly the computer will awake from sleep by... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by doodnnc, Aug 12, 2015.

1. doodnnc Win User

Computer awakes by itself

A few days ago I downloaded win 10 and everything is going pretty well except.. every night at 12:15 exactly the computer will awake from sleep by itself. I never had this issue with win 7 which I just upgraded from. Any suggestions are much appreciated. *Think

:)

doodnnc, Aug 12, 2015

2. How to keep computer awake after waking from a scheduled job.

I put my Windows 10 PC to sleep each night before going to bed and need it to automatically wake up at 8:00 AM each morning and
    stay awake until I put it to sleep at night. I have a scheduled job that dutifully wakes the PC every morning, but the problem is that it puts itself back to sleep within a few minutes. If I move the mouse during the few minutes it's awake
    it stays awake all day with no problem. If I wake the computer with the keyboard it stays awake all day.

This process worked fine in Windows 7. Any suggestions?

RickBell_CA, Aug 12, 2015
  3. No Double Tap to Awake on 521 after GDR2/Amber Update - 520 has it ?

the AT&T 520 shipped with GDR2/Amber update has the Double Tap to awake feature enabled. Same hardware from my understanding between 520 and 521. Only difference is size of phone itself.

I have a caseid with support so I will continue with that. I have hard reset my phone and update display+touch still not "double tap to awake" feature.

Corepc---01, Aug 12, 2015
  4. Computer awakes by itself

Wake Timers may be enabled - Check Power Options -> Change advanced power settings -> Sleep -> Allow Wake Timers

Also check your Network Adapter to make sure its not allowed to wake the PC. This was reset for me when I upgraded to Windows 10. Device Manager -> Network Adapter -> <Your Device> -> Properties -> Power Management and make sure "Allow this device to wake the Computer" is disabled.

Lord Method Man, Aug 12, 2015
  5. doodnnc Win User
    Thanks for the info. Don't you mean disable wake timers? I did manage to do that. I checked my devices and everything looks good there. Nothing is set to allow the computer to wake.

doodnnc, Aug 12, 2015
  6. doodnnc Win User
    I was awake at 3:30 and it suddenly woke again and the monitor showed a lot of colored bars. Maybe the monitor was doing some sort of check? I've never seen anything like this...

doodnnc, Aug 12, 2015
  7. Rudy Mas Win User
    Windows 10 (and 8.1), has some tasks to perform during the night. My PC also wakes up, now and then, but it is just to perform some task or maintenance, and then it goes back to sleep or into hibernation. That's normal procedure for Windows 10 PCs.

If you don't want your PC to wake up in the middle of the night, you need to do a shutdown before going to bed yourself.

BTW, I don't know why people suggest to disable "Allow this device to wake the computer". If you don't need it, okay, you can disable it. However, when you have a SmartTV and have a DLNA server installed on the PC, you need this function. When the PC is asleep, the SmartTV sends a signal to the PC to wake up, so I can use it.

I even have a program installed on my laptop, so I can awaken my PC when I need some file from it. Not everything can be stored in the cloud for easy access. *Wink

Although, the thing I suggest to most people is, check if "Only allow a magic packet to wake the computer" is enabled. This way, it won't wake up when it receives something else than a wake up call.

The most important thing about sleep/hibernation not working, is when your PC goes to sleep and a few minutes later it comes out of it again. If it does this all the time, then, and only then, there is something wrong with it. (Or not going to sleep at all, of course.)

Teamviewer, the previous version, woke my PC every 30 minutes last week. This was something I fixed by disabling it until the new version came out this week, which fixed the problem.

If you really want to know which program woke your PC, you can use following commands at the command prompt:

powercfg -requests (This will show you the last event that kept your PC awake, or even which scheduled event woke it.)
    powercfg -lastwake (This will show you the last event that woke you PC.)

Depending on what you find there, you can deduct if it was something which should have been allowed to wake your PC, or not.

BTW, if you only installed Windows 10 recently, than it is normal that you PC wakes up more than normally. It has to perform a lot of tasks at the beginning. The first 3 or 4 days after installing it, my PC was also awake, a lot, during the night. Now, it's back following its normal sleep pattern. *Wink

Rudy Mas, Aug 12, 2015
  8. Computer awakes by itself

I wouldn't particularly mind the PC waking up to do stuff if it would sleep again, but ever since 8.1 mine doesn't sleep automatically. I've tried lots of things to work out why but it simply doesn't do it. It sleeps fine if I do it manually, and normally stays asleep until I wiggle the mouse.

The last two big updates via Windows Update ended with the prompt to choose a time for a restart, or to 'restart now'. Both times I've chosen 'restart now' and the update has been completed. Both times the PC has then woken up at the time offered in that dialog even though there is no update to complete, and has been whirring away when I've come down in the morning. Event Viewer shows that it woke but then sat there idle.

That looks like a bug in the Windows Update processing to me.

The requested wakeup in this case was from NT TASK\Microsoft\Windows\UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot so I've changed that in Task Scheduler to disallow it waking the machine - I'd prefer to do the reboots manually anyway.

karma mechanic, Aug 12, 2015
  9. Rudy Mas Win User
    Checked the events of last night.

01:03:10 System is entering sleep.
    03:03:27 Wake Source S4 Doze to Hibernate
    04:00:00 Wake Source: Unknown, but possibly due to timer => This is Macrium Reflect waking up my PC for its nightly backup
    04:03:39 Sleep Reason: Application API => Macrium Reflect putting it back into hibernation
    08:00:00 Wake Source: Unknown, but possibly due to timer => Sync program waking up my PC to get work files from the server

All these things can be found in your Event Viewer under Windows Logs -> System
    Find the Power-Troubleshooter to see all events about you PC's sleep cycle. This could help you pinpoint what is going on with your system.

Of course the UpdateOrchestrator\Reboot shouldn't be there if you manually rebooted the system during Windows Update. At least, it didn't show up in my cycle.

With Windows 8.1, my PC had a lot of sleep problems after the upgrade, and it only went away after I had done a clean install. (This was an update from Windows 7. This time, nothing like that happened, except for the bug in TeamViewer.)

Rudy Mas, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer awakes by itself

1. Computer awakes by itself - Similar Threads - Computer awakes itself

2. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  3. Computer no longer staying awake

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer no longer staying awake: Greetings, I can’t find a forum for the command line, so I hope this is the right place. I can’t find anyone else with the same problem.I am having trouble keeping my computer awake. I have created a batch file to back up my laptop. It takes several hours for the script to...
  4. Sleep to "kinda awake."

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Sleep to "kinda awake.": I have a brand new less than 1 week old MSI PRO DP21 13M-497US Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-13400 running Windows 11 22H2. When it goes to sleep and I try to wake it via mouse, keyboard or power button I get a signal from them monitor, a beep that something connected, a...
  5. Sleep to "kinda awake."

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Sleep to "kinda awake.": I have a brand new less than 1 week old MSI PRO DP21 13M-497US Desktop Computer, Intel Core i5-13400 running Windows 11 22H2. When it goes to sleep and I try to wake it via mouse, keyboard or power button I get a signal from them monitor, a beep that something connected, a...
  6. awake during the night

in Windows 10 Gaming
    awake during the night: Hi my laptop temperature is decently hot going into hardcore gaming like warzone goes to low 80 but I do believe the cause of this is because my CPU is on during the night, as when I look at task manager it say above 1 day then it shuts down at night, does anybody know how to...
  7. laptop cant not awake

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    laptop cant not awake: When I unplug my laptop and let it sleep, close the lid. After that, I open the lid, the power button is on , but the screen is still black. I have to press the power button for 10s to shut dow, plugin laptop and boot again. If anyone has overcome this problem, please help...
  8. powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    powercfg and ps keeping my computer awake??: How do I stop the process nw.exe from keeping my computer from going to sleep. I know it's a powercfg command but I'm not sure of the options so any help would really be appreciated *Smile Code: C:\WINDOWS\system32>powercfg -requests DISPLAY: None. SYSTEM: [DRIVER]...
  9. Service to track of a computer is asleep/awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Service to track of a computer is asleep/awake: I've set up a desktop as a media server running Plex. When I access it using RDC, it pops up really fast and I'm not sold the thing is going to sleep properly even though I've checked to make certain powercfg -request is coming up clear. There are services to track when...
  10. Freeze on awake

in Windows 10 Support
    Freeze on awake: Hey, Sometimes when my PC comes back up from hibernation (hybrid sleep enabled) it freezes so stiff that even the reset button stops working. The screen updates once so the clock widget on my taskbar shows the current time for a second. Sometimes the HDD light stays lit,...