Windows 10: Computer boots up automatically when I turn on WOL

Discus and support Computer boots up automatically when I turn on WOL in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; I've been using WOL with an app from my android device for years. Lately (after the latest big update on Windows 10) I wake up to find my computer open... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by GoodTimesAhead, Jan 5, 2018.

1. Computer boots up automatically when I turn on WOL

I've been using WOL with an app from my android device for years. Lately (after the latest big update on Windows 10) I wake up to find my computer open every single day.

Things I've tried but failed so far.

- Updated network card drivers.
    - Turned off fast boot.
    - Disabled "Allow wake timers" in Power Options.
    - Checked to see which devices are allowed to wake the computer and turned them off (Mouse and Keyboard).
    - Un-checking "Allow this device to wake this computer" under Power Management in Network card.
    - Un-checking "Allow this computer to turn off this device to save power" under Power Management in Network card, but then the WOL stops working completely.

My motherboard is Asus P8P67 LE if this helps.

I would appreciate any help.

:)

GoodTimesAhead, Jan 5, 2018

2. Task Scheduler runs at time, not on idle.

Version 1709 (OS Build 16299.249)

I'm connected to a private network and using a workgroup.

I haven't changed anything to my computer before and meanwhile. And there are no corrupt files.

I'm also running manually set up tasks like this on multiple computers, using WOL it doesn't work on any of them.

I already tried creating a new task as well. What is really strange is that the task does start when I turn on the computer by pressing the power button (and nothing else) doesn't start when turning the computer on using WOL. Could Windows even tell the
    difference between a normal start and wol start?

Thanks!

Jadministrator, Jan 5, 2018
  3. Windows 10 turns off network adapter (WOL not working)

When I shut down PC, Windows turns off network adapter and it can't be woken with WOL

Intel(R) 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network Connection

I configured settings in BIOS

Disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

Disabled "Turn on fast startup (recommended)"

Installed latest driver

When I use Ubuntu and shut down PC, WOL works

When I use Windows 10 and shut down PC, WOL doesn't works

I spent hours trying things people posted on forums, but nothing works for me

What can I do to make it work?

EldinTurkic, Jan 5, 2018
  4. Computer boots up automatically when I turn on WOL

Hi GoodTimesAhead

A couple of things I would do.

First restore your power plan to defaults, reboot and customize power plan.

Next, show hidden devices in device manager and remove any hidden keyboards / mice

Then if it continues open a command prompt(admin) or Power Shell(admin) and type the command

powercfg -lastwake

after it wakes. This should tell you what last issued the wake up call. You may have to google results.

You might also try

Powercfg -h off

to disable hibernation. Command needs (Admin) rights same as lastwake. To reverse change the word off to on

Ken

Caledon Ken, Jan 6, 2018
Thema:

Computer boots up automatically when I turn on WOL

1. Computer boots up automatically when I turn on WOL - Similar Threads - Computer boots automatically

2. Computer will not boot up and also black screen when turning on

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer will not boot up and also black screen when turning on: So basically. 1 year ago the problem started. I turned off my computer, went to sleep and then next morning I could not turn on the computer. The lights work, fans work, but all I get is a black screen. I do not know what to do. I tried to open Bios 100x with all possible...
  3. Computer will not boot up and also black screen when turning on

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer will not boot up and also black screen when turning on: So basically. 1 year ago the problem started. I turned off my computer, went to sleep and then next morning I could not turn on the computer. The lights work, fans work, but all I get is a black screen. I do not know what to do. I tried to open Bios 100x with all possible...
  4. Computer will not boot up and also black screen when turning on

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Starting computer by WoL package freezes at the beginning of booting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Starting computer by WoL package freezes at the beginning of booting.: Hello,When I turn on my computer by pressing a button - everything works fine. But when I try to boot it by WoL package - the boot process starts the coolers start but then stops. After this it doesn't react on power button pressing, only turning power supply off/on helps....
  6. Starting computer by WoL package freezes at the beginning of booting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Starting computer by WoL package freezes at the beginning of booting.: Hello,When I turn on my computer by pressing a button - everything works fine. But when I try to boot it by WoL package - the boot process starts the coolers start but then stops. After this it doesn't react on power button pressing, only turning power supply off/on helps....
  7. BIOS turns on automatically when I turn on the computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    BIOS turns on automatically when I turn on the computer: Guys help please... submitted by /u/tesfayeonfroy [link] [comments] https://www.reddit.com/r/Windows10/comments/iucmbf/bios_turns_on_automatically_when_i_turn_on_the/
  8. Laptop wakes up Desktop from sleep when I turn it on (suspect WOL).

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Laptop wakes up Desktop from sleep when I turn it on (suspect WOL).: Both my laptop and PC run Windows 10 1909 (build 18363.720) currently but I've had this issue for over a year that I've noticed, I'm finally annoyed enough by it to ask for help. Searching online seems to yield a lot of duff results. I know what happens at any rate, I'd just...
  9. Computer Automatically Turns On

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Automatically Turns On: Has anyone besides me ever experienced their computer turning on automatically after it's been shut down? Mine did! It's my Desktop PC. It's an Acer Aspire XC-603G Desktop. Note: This kind of unnerved me because no one was around it. We had all gone to our rooms...
  10. When computer boots up

in Windows 10 Support
    When computer boots up: When my computer boots up now, it is showing my email address and is asking me for my password. I don't want that because others are going to be using it here at home. I don't want any restrictions for accessing this pc. How do I get rid of the requirement to enter...