Windows 10: computer boots wrong hard drive

Discus and support computer boots wrong hard drive in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My wife's computer has started once in awhile to try and boot from the d:\ drive. We turn off the computers at night. Some mornings when I turn on her... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by johnk51, Mar 4, 2017.

1. johnk51 Win User

computer boots wrong hard drive

My wife's computer has started once in awhile to try and boot from the d:\ drive. We turn off the computers at night. Some mornings when I turn on her computer I get the _ flashing in the upper corner of the monitor. When I reboot and go into the setup. I go to the boot section and the d:\ hard drive is set as the primary drive. So I have to reset the c:\ hard drive back to the primary. Then everything is fine. I don't know what's causing this. She has the latest win 10 64-bit. And it started happening 2-4 weeks ago. And it doesn't happen all the time. I'd like to know why this is happening, and how to fix it. The motherboard is 7-10 years old.

:)

johnk51, Mar 4, 2017
  2. Cesar-_- Win User

Booting from wrong hard drive

Hello I have one 80 gb hard drive on my computer but I wanted to use my old hard drive while keeping my 80 gb as my main because it has Windows 10 installed but my old hard drive had Windows 7 so when I try to boot my computer it uses my old hard drive
    to boot and it won't show up in bios just onboard drive not a specific one and I can't format it because it boots from it

Cesar-_-, Mar 4, 2017
  3. Booting from wrong hard drive

Hi,

Thank you for posting your query on Microsoft Community.

I would like to know some information.

• Since how long are you facing this issue?

• Did it ever booted with Windows 10?

• Have you made any changes to your computer settings prior to this issue?

I would request you to please provide us the screen shot of Disk management whether it shows the drive or not.

Refer to the link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/...n#take-screen-capture-print-screen=windows-10

You may try the steps.

I would suggest you to try to check for the status of the drive in the device manager.

1. Press Windows Key + R Key.

2. Then type “devmgmt.msc” without the quotes and hit on
    Enter Key.

3. Expand Disk Drive. If you are able to find the driver for the external drive.

6. Then again right click on the driver and click on Properties.

7. Check the device status of the disk.

Hope this information helps. Please let us know if you need any other assistance with Windows in future. We will be happy to assist you.

Mayank Gupta10, Mar 4, 2017
  4. clam1952 Win User

Looks like the bios isn't retaining settings, are the date and time always correct when you enter the setup? If not you probably need a new CMOS battery, 10 years is pushing it without replacing it.

clam1952, Mar 4, 2017
  5. In the mean time try swapping the hard drive cables around as "D" becomes "C", as sounds like it is changing to default in the bios.

RoadBlaster, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. computer boots wrong hard drive - Similar Threads - computer boots wrong

2. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  3. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive: Earlier today my pc crashed, upon restarting my computer booted from my hard drive rather than my ssd, showing old files, wallpapers etc. When looking on device manager, my ssd can be seen by my pc, however when looking in file explorer there is nothing to be seen. Is there...
  4. Computer no longer recognises boot hard drive

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  6. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Wrong hard drive boots: I have 2 laptops. New one has only been set up with Microsoft login. Upon entering Microsoft password on old one, it boots up, but files have disappeared. It appears the old computer thinks it’s the new computer with no files. How do I reaccess my files?...
  7. Wrong hard drive boots

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  8. The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    The hard drive Capacity is Wrong.: I upgraded from a 120GB SSD to a 250GB SSD. When I installed the system image it said I only have about 5GB left as if it was the 120GB hard drive. How do I partition this to show the right storage amount? submitted by /u/nwl5 [link] [comments]...
  9. Boot manager booting to the wrong drive

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Boot manager booting to the wrong drive: Hello, Awhile back, with the help of this community, I was able to reimage my computer from an older SSD to a new M.2. The older SSDs were fine, I just wanted to update to a M.2. I would now like to format the old drives and use them as storage. I've read that I can do this...
  10. Windows on wrong hard drive

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Windows on wrong hard drive: Please read full thing before posting answers: My PC is connected to two hard drives: one with 27.4 GB and one with 465 GB. The windows software and all it's updates are being stored on the 27.4 GB hard drive. However it is nearly 2.75 GB left so there is no room for...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. computer crash boots from wrong disk

2. computer boots to wrong drive after playing videos