Windows 10: Computer crashed during recovery mode install of Windows 10

Discus and support Computer crashed during recovery mode install of Windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi Recently my laptop starting having problems with a driver, and kept on BSOD'ing saying the error was "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE-DRIVER". The problem... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by tristan, Apr 18, 2016.

1. tristan Win User

Computer crashed during recovery mode install of Windows 10

Hi

Recently my laptop starting having problems with a driver, and kept on BSOD'ing saying the error was "THREAD_STUCK_IN_DEVICE-DRIVER". The problem eventually got so bad that my laptop would freeze almost every time i went to turn it on. So i decided the best option would be to troubleshoot, by resetting the laptop and removing apps and settings, but keeping all my personal files.

During the reinstall of windows, my laptop froze and i was forced to shut it down. Now every time i turn on my laptop it goes straight to the screen "preparing automatic repair" and then to "diagnosing your PC" and then to the automatic repaid screen.

If i try to "reset this PC" again, it comes up with an error and says no changes have been made. Im apprehensive of doing anything like a hard reset. I have a number of files on my computer that havent been backed up due to circumstance, that i really do not want to lose.

Is there anyway i can take the files off of my computer while in this state, or anyway to install windows 10 again while retaining all personal files on the computer. Any help here would be much appreciated, cheers

:)

tristan, Apr 18, 2016

2. Windows 1709 Update in Continous Install Loop

Hello Andre,

Previous Windows 7 Home Premium

Current Windows 10 Home 1607 Build 14393.2035

This I understand is latest and last build for Windows 10 Home version.

No problems installing to Windows 10 or Anniversary Update. Gateway\Acer FX computers after three failed restarts boot to Recovery or you can crash three times during Windows loading to return to previous version of Windows in Recovery.

Jon Baker US=FTC, Apr 18, 2016
  3. Free Windows 10 upgrade

I used the free Windows 10 upgrade offer on my computer using Windows 7. The Windows 10 upgrade did not work and when the computer tried to revert to my old Windows 7, the computer crashed and was unable to recovery using the the start-up repair procedure
    or the system restore feature. After several hours of multiple crashes, I finally used the mirror image recovery procedure to recover the old operating system ( some files were lost). At one point during the 2 hours trying to recover the computer, I thought
    the computer would have to be replaced. Did anyone else have this failure of the Windows 10 upgrade?

DennisAustin, Apr 18, 2016
  4. simrick Win User

Hi tristan and welcome to Tenforums.

Do you have access to another computer? If so, you could download Kyhi's Recovery Tool W10PESE, boot to it, and copy your data to a stick drive.

Once your data is retrieved, you could do a clean install, using the ISO from MSTechBench.
    Windows 10 - Clean Install - Windows 10 Forums

Alternatively, if the system came with W10 pre-installed, there may be an OEM recovery partition which can be used to return the system to factory condition. Read more here:
    FAQ :: How do I reset my computer back to factory default state (System Recovery)? :: Support :: Toshiba :: Computers, Laptops/Notebooks, Tablets, Televisions, DVD and Blu-Ray Players, Camcorders, Storage, Accessories, and more

Hope this helps! *Smile

simrick, Apr 18, 2016
  5. tristan Win User
    With the data recovery program, Could you please explain to me whether i can still use this program despite the fact my computer reboots to recovery mode? And if so how i would use this program

tristan, Apr 18, 2016
  6. simrick Win User
    When you use Kyhi's recovery media, you boot to it, and he has it set up like a regular Windows desktop. From there, you can open File Explorer and find your personal files to copy over to a stick drive or some other external hard drive, for safe keeping. So, it's not a data recovery program, it's a way to get your files and data off the hard drive.

simrick, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer crashed during recovery mode install of Windows 10 - Similar Threads - Computer crashed during

2. Windows 10 crashes computer during setup.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 crashes computer during setup.: I have recently installed windows 10 on my computer. I had various difficulties with this along the way. Now I have a problem where Windows 10 crashes my computer during setup. I'm able to get to the point where this is audio that says "I am Cortana...". Sometimes I'm able to...
  3. Windows 10 crashes computer during setup.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Windows 10 crashes computer during setup.: I have recently installed windows 10 on my computer. I had various difficulties with this along the way. Now I have a problem where Windows 10 crashes my computer during setup. I'm able to get to the point where this is audio that says "I am Cortana...". Sometimes I'm able to...
  4. Computer crashed during fresh install of windows

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer crashed during fresh install of windows: I'm using an HP EliteBook 8440p laptop, My computer became very cluttered and messy so I decided it would be nice to completely start over with a fresh install of Windows. My computer halfway through attempting to reinstall Windows started to overheat, then it got to the...
  5. Computer crashed during fresh install of windows

Computer crashed during fresh install of windows: I'm using an HP EliteBook 8440p laptop, My computer became very cluttered and messy so I decided it would be nice to completely start over with a fresh install of Windows. My computer halfway through attempting to reinstall Windows started to overheat, then it got to the...
  6. Computer crashed during fresh install of windows

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  7. Windows 10 recovery mode crashes to BSOD

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows 10 recovery mode crashes to BSOD: I've been troubleshooting for hours but haven't been able to find this exact problem. I'm using a windows 10 boot USB to get into recovery mode. I get to the screen that has the "repair your computer" button but it crashes to bluescreen if i click it. I also have the option...
  8. Windows 10 recovery mode crashes to BSOD

Windows 10 recovery mode crashes to BSOD: I've been troubleshooting for hours but haven't been able to find this exact problem. I'm using a windows 10 boot USB to get into recovery mode. I get to the screen that has the "repair your computer" button but it crashes to bluescreen if i click it. I also have the option...
  9. Windows 10 recovery mode crashes to BSOD

10. Crashes during Windows 10 install.

Crashes during Windows 10 install.: Hello, I have a two year old laptop Asus FX504GE that has been having issues with the latest not sure which one Windows 10 update for the last few months. It would install the update, crash and then roll back the update. Everything was working fine once the update was rolled...