Windows 10: Computer died

Discus and support Computer died in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware to solve the problem; I just complained on their live chat line and the agent agreed to send me a prepaid label. Edit: They just notified me that they don't have the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware' started by okrobie, Feb 3, 2016.

1. okrobie Win User

Computer died

I just complained on their live chat line and the agent agreed to send me a prepaid label.

Edit: They just notified me that they don't have the RM1000 in stock so they are going to upgrade me to the RM1000i

okrobie, Feb 10, 2016
  2. jds63 Win User

Good work ! Thing i mentioned before was i had a Crucial SSD that went bad and was a year old. I had to pay to send it back to Crucial they paid the return, but in the return they sent a manufacturer refurbished item not brand new. I am not sure if Corsair would do that to you, but it is always best to send it back to seller if under 30 days as you will definitely get a brand new item back. Good luck Jim.

jds63, Feb 10, 2016
  3. Steve C Win User
    I don't know if you tested the PSU in isolation or connected to your motherboard. If the former, then the PSU may not be dead. It's normal to see only the +5V standby output if you test the PSU with nothing else connected. The PSU is turned on by the motherboard or power switch issuing the Power On signal to the PSU. Your PSU won't turn on and output all voltages unless it sees the Power On signal. You can simulate this by the paper clip test - see http://support.antec.com/support/sol...paperclip-test

Once those connections are shorted with the paper clip then the PSU should power up and you will be able to measure the voltages as shown in the link. Note some PSUs need a load to power on but I've tried this test with XFX, EVGA & Corsair PSUs and it works.

Steve C, Feb 10, 2016
  4. okrobie Win User

Computer died

Computer died [​IMG]

Computer died [​IMG]

Computer died [​IMG]
    Well folks, my computer is running, but am I ever embarrassed. After all I went through, buying a new power supply, buying a used power supply locally, buying a POST analyzer etc. It was something simple and stupid. Well here goes I'll confess.. It was a loose connector on the motherboard. It was the interface to the front panel. I should have guessed something was wrong when I wasn't getting any beep codes.

I didn't know about the paper clip test when I had the first replacement, but it probably would have shown the PSU good.

I'm going to keep my new 1kw power supply. I really like the modular concept and I wound up getting a free upgrade to an RM1000i because they were out of stock of the RM1000. I like the USB interface for the PSU. With their app Link 4, it really works great.

The really bad thing is that I have been into electronics since 1956 and I was 14 when I got my first Ham Radio license. I have been into electronics and computer trouble shooting ever since and I'm now 74 and still haven't learned to look for the basics first. sheesh...

Thanks for all your help and patience.

Regards, Jim
    Computer died [​IMG]

Computer died [​IMG]

Computer died [​IMG]

okrobie, Mar 8, 2016
  5. philc43 Win User
    Thanks for the update. We can all learn from your experience and I will add it to my list of things to check when troubleshooting.

philc43, Mar 8, 2016
  6. Word Man Win User
    Thanks so much for sharing and closing the loop, Jim. This is not a bad thing - quite valuable to know and for all to learn from.*Smile

Word Man, Mar 8, 2016
  7. Steve C Win User
    Your PC wouldn't turn on since the ON/OFF switch wasn't connected! I feel sorry for your extra expense. Note some motherboards have a power on switch on the motherboard. If not, you can always short the power on pins on the motherboard header. In your case, this would probably have started the PC and indicated a faulty On switch. The paper clip test is also very simple PSU test to power on the PSU and check the correct voltages are output.

Steve C, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer died

1. Computer died - Similar Threads - Computer died

2. Whenever I unplug my battery cord, the computer dies and powers off, do I have to replace...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Whenever I unplug my battery cord, the computer dies and powers off, do I have to replace...: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 HomeVersion: 10.0.22631 Build 22631Other OS Description: Not AvailableOS Manufacturer: Microsoft CorporationSystem Name: LAPTOP - NNMTDI6ASystem Manufacturer: LENOVOSystem Model: 81Y6System Type: x64-based PCSystem SKU:...
  3. Whenever I unplug my battery cord, the computer dies and powers off, do I have to replace...

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Whenever I unplug my battery cord, the computer dies and powers off, do I have to replace...: OS Name: Microsoft Windows 11 HomeVersion: 10.0.22631 Build 22631Other OS Description: Not AvailableOS Manufacturer: Microsoft CorporationSystem Name: LAPTOP - NNMTDI6ASystem Manufacturer: LENOVOSystem Model: 81Y6System Type: x64-based PCSystem SKU:...
  4. My computer keeps blue screening die to several issues the main one being dpc watchdog...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer keeps blue screening die to several issues the main one being dpc watchdog...: My computer randomly 2 weeks ago started blue screening with the issue dpc watchdog violation i tried to fix it and it worked for 3 days and since then ive used a ddu and reinstalled my graphics drivers several times. Its gotten so bad i had a critical error and it reset my...
  5. My computer keeps blue screening die to several issues the main one being dpc watchdog...

My computer keeps blue screening die to several issues the main one being dpc watchdog...: My computer randomly 2 weeks ago started blue screening with the issue dpc watchdog violation i tried to fix it and it worked for 3 days and since then ive used a ddu and reinstalled my graphics drivers several times. Its gotten so bad i had a critical error and it reset my...
  6. Got a blue screen on my computer saying critical process died.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Got a blue screen on my computer saying critical process died.: I've tried to reboot in safe mode through advanced options, nothing. I've tried using the code sfc/scannow it goes through the verification process then ends up saying Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation. Please help I'm not good with...
  7. Got a blue screen on my computer saying critical process died.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Got a blue screen on my computer saying critical process died.: I've tried to reboot in safe mode through advanced options, nothing. I've tried using the code sfc/scannow it goes through the verification process then ends up saying Windows resource protection could not perform the requested operation. Please help I'm not good with...
  8. Got a blue screen on my computer saying critical process died.

9. My windows 10 computer died. I bought a new windows 11 computer. I attached my old disk to...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My windows 10 computer died. I bought a new windows 11 computer. I attached my old disk to...: My windows 10 computer died. I bought a new windows 11 computer. I attached my old disk to the new computer. Can I access my DATA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-computer-died-i-bought-a-new-windows/4b18b2e2-1206-42dc-88a2-299200a477ce
  10. My windows 10 computer died. I bought a new windows 11 computer. I attached my old disk to...

My windows 10 computer died. I bought a new windows 11 computer. I attached my old disk to...: My windows 10 computer died. I bought a new windows 11 computer. I attached my old disk to the new computer. Can I access my DATA https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/my-windows-10-computer-died-i-bought-a-new-windows/4b18b2e2-1206-42dc-88a2-299200a477ce