Windows 10: Computer does not shutdown since i installed windows 10

Discus and support Computer does not shutdown since i installed windows 10 in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hi! I recently installed windows 10 in my computer, but i got a problem : my computer does not fully shutdown when i click the shut down button in the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by vale22, Aug 2, 2015.

1. vale22 Win User

Computer does not shutdown since i installed windows 10

Hi! I recently installed windows 10 in my computer, but i got a problem : my computer does not fully shutdown when i click the shut down button in the start menu, it just closes apps, screen turns black, but the pc is still on and i can say this because keyboards lights are still on (power one, wifi one) and i am forced to press the power button for 5 seconds to force a shutdown and then turn it on again. I searched on internet some solutions and the most common problem seems related to the fast startup feature, i disabled it but the problem keeps going, i really don't know what to do, anyone has a solution for this? (sorry my english by the way)

:)

vale22, Aug 2, 2015

2. Windows 10 1709 - Install Updates on shutdown

Hello

I updatet my home computer and a few computers in our enterprise from Windows 10 1703 to Windows 10 1709.

Since then Windows Updates require a reboot to get installed.

A shutdown in the evening and a start in the morning aren't enough to install the updates.

They will not get installed unless you perform a restart.

Is this a bug or a new behavior in Windows 10 1709? Or is it just me doing something wrong...?

Until Windows 10 1703 it was possible to perform Windows Updates during a shutdown.

Which user does an extra reboot just to install Windows Updates??

Thank you very much.

Best Regards

Ramon

ramonpfenninger, Aug 2, 2015
  3. Netgear not turning off when shutting down desktop

Since I upgraded desk top to Windows 10 my external internet Netgear device does not close down when the computer is shutdown. I have not had this problem with previous Windows versions. How can I fix it ?

DianneBradley, Aug 2, 2015
  4. Steffan Win User

This slow shutdown happens on many computers. W10 seems to be enriched with bugs and errors.

Steffan, Aug 2, 2015
  5. vale22 Win User
    it's not a slow shutdown, it just remains like that until i keep pressrd the power button forcing the shut down, even if i leave it there for hours.

vale22, Aug 3, 2015
  6. Snakeyes Win User
    Under Power settings, go to Advanced settings and make sure that the "Power buttons and lid/Power button action" option is set to " Shut down ".

Snakeyes, Aug 3, 2015
  7. vale22 Win User
    I already did that but it did nothing :/ I'm actually thinking about going back to 8.1 because i don't want to risk my pc getting damaged in the long run

vale22, Aug 3, 2015
  8. Computer does not shutdown since i installed windows 10

I've had the exact same thing happen to me twice. Searched online but I can't find a solution. Joined the forum here just to reply to this thread, it's nice to know I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm thinking of going back to 8 this weekend as well and maybe I'll upgrade again in a few months.

telegoniccolt40, Aug 3, 2015
  9. usmc362 Win User
    Open a command prompt and run this as administrator; powercfg h off, then hit enter.

usmc362, Aug 3, 2015
  10. Slugger Win User
  11. Foxual Win User
    Thanks for posting the link. Works a treat. My computer now shuts down.

Foxual, Aug 4, 2015
  12. Somebody elsewhere recommended I check for display driver updates through Device Manager. I think it may have fixed it.

telegoniccolt40, Aug 5, 2015
  13. Computer does not shutdown since i installed windows 10

Having a slight different albeit shut down related problem. When I try to shut down I instead get a blue screen and 'Critical Process Died' screen and my computer needs to restart. Has only happened since I went up to Windows 10, no clue why *Sad

Deceiver14, Aug 5, 2015
  14. Foxual Win User
    Update. Its back to not closing down.....

Foxual, Aug 9, 2015
  15. Foxual Win User
    I went to power options and set it so that when i press the power button, instead of going to sleep, it shuts down. It's worked five times now.

Foxual, Aug 9, 2015
Thema:

1. Computer does not shutdown since i installed windows 10 - Similar Threads - Computer does shutdown

2. Windows does not refresh automatically and does not shutdown

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Windows does not refresh automatically and does not shutdown: Hi, I have an ASUS VivoBook that I was using for two years with Windows 10. However now, Windows does not refresh automatically. Whenever I do a paste, delete, rename, etc. I have to refresh manually to make the change appear. To make things worse I can't shut down the...
  3. Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?: This is happening commonly and it's getting quite annoying. My computer flashes into a bunch of colors everywhere, an then the screen goes back to normal. But everything stops responding, and I have to do a force shutdown. At first I thought it was an issue with my graphics...
  4. Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Why does my Computer Flash and then Shutdown?: This is happening commonly and it's getting quite annoying. My computer flashes into a bunch of colors everywhere, an then the screen goes back to normal. But everything stops responding, and I have to do a force shutdown. At first I thought it was an issue with my graphics...
  5. Windows 10: install updates and shutdown.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows 10: install updates and shutdown.: hi, Since a have version 2004 and i can see the orange dot related with updates i choose update and shutdown. And on previous version it says Shutting down then it configures the update till 30% then it shutdowns my pc.... witch is fine The other day i turn on my pc it...
  6. Windows 10 Pro does not shutdown

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 Pro does not shutdown: When I click on the shutdown button under the windows logo; the screen goes black and then the desktop comes back. I made a shortcut of a shutdown command-line on my desktop to see if it's a hardware problem but I can shutdown the pc by clicking that. Is this a bug or some...
  7. Computer Will Not Stay Shutdown When I Shutdown........

Computer Will Not Stay Shutdown When I Shutdown........: Greetings-- I have been having something happening for the last four days that is quite creepy, to say the least. I would like to say that this has been happening ever since my last "update", but I can not be sure of that 100%..... Each night, when I go to bed, I...
  8. My computer does not shutdown completely

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer does not shutdown completely: I have had this problem ever since I built my computer, when I shut down my pc, either from the windows menu or the power button on the case, windows will shut down but all the hardware on the computer will stay running as if i only turned off the monitors....
  9. Slow shutdown since installing build 10586.3

Slow shutdown since installing build 10586.3: So earlier today I installed the new build of Windows 10 and since then my shutdown time has increased to 1 minute 27 seconds. Strangely though my boot time is actually faster. Can someone help diagnose what might be wrong? I've checked my event viewer but for some strange...
  10. Shutdown does not 'Poweroff' computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Shutdown does not 'Poweroff' computer: Some system details:— home built system, ASUS P8Z77-V mobo with latest (2104) BIOS, 16GB RAM, Gigabyte NVidia GeForce GTX 650 Ti video card driving primary and secondary monitors, Gigabyte NVidia GeForce 210 video card driving monitor 3, 3 x 3TB HDD, 2 x 250GB SSD, 1 x 120GB...