Windows 10: Computer fails to boot, ignores keyboard, can not get to BIOS

Discus and support Computer fails to boot, ignores keyboard, can not get to BIOS in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Oddly, it has not caught fire. On the 22nd, I put the machine to sleep. Next morning I woke it up and got a bizarre screen. I had only 3 iterations... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by alternety, Dec 25, 2016.

1. alternety Win User

Computer fails to boot, ignores keyboard, can not get to BIOS

Oddly, it has not caught fire.

On the 22nd, I put the machine to sleep. Next morning I woke it up and got a bizarre screen. I had only 3 iterations of "this PC" and two icons for file manager. Nothing that was running when put to sleep was on screen. My gut feeling was MS had done it to me again. I have had several updates done overnight that did not reboot correctly the next day.

So I left it going for a while. Drive active light would go on for a few seconds at sort of random intervals. Eventually (maybe 40 minutes) I was convinced nothing was happening. Sometime in that interval I believe Bitdefender showed up Maybe something else but it was not right. I saw it just before hitting power down.

I tried restarting several times. When I hit reset or power off It got no further than the BIOS screen asking me to press F2 or delete to get to the bios. Somewhere along the line I saw a message go past that said there was no keyboard. I could not get into the BIOS after many tries.

I tried booting with a USB stick built to use WinPE and a bunch of applications to do repairs. It should boot as either UEFI or the earlier boot process. That failed to do anything different. Machine not doing anything and F2 key will not get me to the BIOS.

OK- What I have.
    Asus P8Z77-V Deluxe MB. Keyboard is an OmniKey. Mouse is a Logiteck wireless. I tried swapping an identical working mouse and RF plugin. The MB has no PS2 connector. The keyboard is attached to an adapter and into a USB 2 port.

Win 10, the Vanilla version. I had delay update set, but it has been months to maybe that night was my night.

I have gotten two different "Q Codes" that stayed up long enough to read. A2, which says IDE detect. Then it settles on E0 which says S3 resume is started(S3 Resume PPI is called by the DXL IPL). And that is where it stays.

I have found a bunch of posts in various places of the behavior, but none seem to match what I have.

Hope some of you guys have some ideas.

:)

alternety, Dec 25, 2016

2. How to get into bios without laptop keyboard?

So i have to get into bios because windows installation failed and i want to boot up of my flash drive. But my laptop keyboard dosen't seem to work and usb keyboard dosen't work aswell Computer fails to boot, ignores keyboard, can not get to BIOS :( so what can i do?

TönisSild, Dec 25, 2016
  3. xyg0t3 Win User
    Keyboard and mouse non-responsive in repair mode

While on my desktop computer, I received an error stating there was a hard drive error. Now the computer boots, then reads Preparing Automatic Repair. The next screen asks me to select a keyboard and lists numerous choices. There is zero response from
    the keyboard or mouse.

I know the keyboard works because I can use them to get into the BIOS before Windows boots.

• There are no PS/2 ports for me to try on this computer.
    • The BIOS does not support UEFI.
    • All USB ports are USB 2.0.
    • There is no option for Legacy USB support in the BIOS.

Thanks

***Post moved by the moderator to the appropriate forum category.***

xyg0t3, Dec 25, 2016
  4. CountMike New Member

That has nothing to do with OS, you wouldn't get any further with Linux either. Try resetting CMOS/BIOS.

CountMike, Dec 25, 2016
  5. Put PS2 keyboard and try to enter BIOS. The as CountMike said - reset to factory defaults.

JordanMihailov, Dec 25, 2016
  6. alternety Win User
    There is no PS2 input on the MB.

Re BIOS. Not arguing; just want to understand. What could I have done to cause the BIOS to get corrupted?

alternety, Dec 26, 2016
  7. bobkn Win User
    No idea why the BIOS is acting up. Let's hope that it is bad BIOS settings, rather than a corrupt BIOS.

Your motherboard has a clear CMOS button, rather than a jumper. I suggest that you use it. (Turn off the power supply, or unplug it. Hold down the power button for a 10 seconds to discharge anything remaining in the power supply. Press the CMOS clear button for a few seconds. Apply power. Pray.)

bobkn, Dec 26, 2016
  8. alternety Win User

I did not change any BIOS settings in months. It was a stable machine.

Could an overnight download mess up drivers? I mean, worked when put to sleep, woke up broken. I have had issues before with Win 10 not doing real well with the drivers it installed. It seems to me that not being able to access USB (2 or 3) could point to a driver problem. On the other hand, the USB stick that should work to boot the machine is also ignored. Could that result from a BIOS setting problem? For instance, the "boot from" settings.

I am going to see if I can make a USB stick with tools that does not do UEFI and try that. I would really rather not reset the BIOS settings and have to do that over. Not because of the effort; but because I may have problems remembering the setup that worked.

One good thing about this is I finally got my wife's machine running; literally the day my machine failed to boot. So I at least have a place to access the internet and make new sticks.

alternety, Dec 26, 2016
  9. Steve C Win User
    I once had a corrupted BIOS on my Gigabyte MB due to a power glitch from a nearby appliance. I recovered from the secondary BIOS on the MB then reflashed the main BIOS to be sure.

Steve C, Dec 27, 2016
  10. I don't know what could have interrupted the bios but since it's messed up that is a suggestion *Smile

JordanMihailov, Dec 27, 2016
  11. alternety Win User
    I cleared the BIOS - no change.

I disconnected all attached devices (except keyboard and mouse) and booted with a good Win 8.1 bootable drive - no change.

Sitting here eating lunch, I was looking at by equipment cabinet and said to myself oh, that is connected. Followed by WTH. And I pulled the power plug of my external USB3 hub. After I moved the mouse receiver to a USB port on the PC.

Computer now works as normal. Plugged the hub back in and still works as normal.

My non-expert guess: The hub/BIOS did not like having had a USB drive removed without the OS's permission. That happens fairly often. The bios (in my opinion) should not keep track of that sort of thing, but maybe the hub does and kept thinking it has a bootable drive attached. It would appear that the BIOS got hung up waiting for a response for a device. Strange.

alternety, Jan 2, 2017
  12. Steve C Win User
    I once had problems with an external hub. I now only use direct USB ports on my PC or the USB extension ports on my monitor which work OK.

Steve C, Jan 2, 2017
  13. CountMike New Member

Has to be some smart hub to make difference if nothing is plugged into it otherwise it's only whatever is plugged into it that can be detected by BIOS or OS. Multiple card readers are mostly like that, they may show "USB drives" but empty until a card is inserted.
    BIOS doesn't actually "remember" any device and checks each one during POST. If it gets stuck at anything, there comes trouble.

CountMike, Jan 2, 2017
  14. Good to see problem is solved *Wink

JordanMihailov, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer fails to boot, ignores keyboard, can not get to BIOS - Similar Threads - Computer fails boot

2. How can i get acces to the Bios Settings to enable secure boot i can enter the Bios...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    How can i get acces to the Bios Settings to enable secure boot i can enter the Bios...: Hey peopleMy name is Tomek and i can't change things in my Bios Settings on the school pc.i got an admin but i made an personal account so they don't get acces to my pc.so my question is : how can i get acces and trun secure boot on if i can't change anything?I can enter the...
  3. Bios will not boot - keyboard too slow as computer boots quicker

in Windows 10 Customization
    Bios will not boot - keyboard too slow as computer boots quicker: I have 2 hard drives one with OS and backup.The PC will not boot as cannot find OS, attempting to access BIOS to reconfigure boot options per OS.When starting PC, repeatedly press on delete/F12 gigabite motherboard, this then does not work as keyboard responds slower than...
  4. 1st Boot Fails, 2nd Boot Works (Bios?)

in Windows 10 Support
    1st Boot Fails, 2nd Boot Works (Bios?): Greetings, So over the last weeks I tried Ubuntu Mate and Zorin. I installed each OS on my Mini PC twice and although interesting they weren't stable enough to switch to. I then installed Win10 again and it's actually zippy and works fine. Except for -- -- a strange booting...
  5. Getting complete computer freezes / Sometimes boots to BIOS

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Getting complete computer freezes / Sometimes boots to BIOS: Hello All! Really struggling with this problem. The last month I have been getting freezes. The event logs give me two critical errors when restarting from a freeze. 1. The device HID-compliant headset location unknown is offline due to a user-mode driver crash....
  6. Windows can not booting and can not enter BIOS

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows can not booting and can not enter BIOS: A few days ago I have an issue with my laptop's touchpadNot fixed yet. Now, my laptop can't booting, just stack at logo ASUS. I have tried to enter the BIOSF2, nothing displayed but black screen. Ussually, it required password to enter BIOS. Now, just blank. I searched on...
  7. computer fail to boot

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    computer fail to boot: I get this message when my computer is switched on. 1720-SMART Hard Drive detects imminent failure. Failing Drive: SATAO Failing Attribute: #05 Have to press F1 to continue booting....
  8. Mouse/Keyboard work in BIOS, they do not work once computer boots

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Mouse/Keyboard work in BIOS, they do not work once computer boots: I have been using computers for over 25 years now, and I have never run across a problem like this. Backstory: I built my current PC about a year ago. Everything worked perfectly until about 5 days ago. At that point, it needed to restart. I restarted it, and upon boot...
  9. GPU is ignored by computer.

in Windows 10 Graphic Cards
    GPU is ignored by computer.: I have a AMD XFX HD 6870 and my computer is ignoring it, running off my integrated graphics instead.*Mad 52774
  10. Can't Get Boot to BIOS

in Windows 10 Support
    Can't Get Boot to BIOS: Hi... Have a Dell XPS 8300 which came with Win7 Home Premium. 10-12 days ago, finally got my system upgraded to Win10... but, after completing the password, all I get is a black screen. FINALLY figured out it's because this motherboard came with an on-board VGA and...