Windows 10: Computer freezes on login and restarts.

Discus and support Computer freezes on login and restarts. in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Hi. So yesterday I installed Windows 10 on my computer via Windows update. (First went here Home page - Windows Insider Program and followed the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by Glindis, Jul 6, 2015.

1. Glindis Win User

Computer freezes on login and restarts.

Hi.
    So yesterday I installed Windows 10 on my computer via Windows update. (First went here Home page - Windows Insider Program and followed the steps)
    It installed normally, after it was done I got the login screen.

I typed my password and pressed "next" but my computer just froze and restarted and kept doing it.

I tried to find information about this on the internet but couldn't find anything.
    Anyone else experienced this?

I re-installed Windows 7 today, will probably try Windows 10 later, but not currently.

Sorry if this is not the right forum, but I think it should be?

:)

Glindis, Jul 6, 2015

2. Computer freezes and restarts automatically

Original title: Unexplained reboots

Since this past Saturday (Jan. 30, 2016) every night at about 10:10p (PST) my computer freezes and then restarts. I've looked to see if there have been any updates. There haven't been. So, I'm asking the community, What the heck is going on?

If you need the computer information: HP Pavilion that I bought just last March. I updated to W10 when it first became available.

Chris in Bako, Jul 6, 2015
  3. Geethu B Win User
    Computer freezes and restarts automatically

Hi Chris,

Thank you for contacting Microsoft Community. I understand that your computer freezes and restarts automatically.
    I will surely help you to fix this issue.

To understand the issue better, let me know if you make any recent software or hardware changes on the computer prior to this issue?

Try the steps listed here:

This issue could have occurred due to these reasons:

1. Corrupt System files.

2. Conflict between external devices third party applications.

Method 1:

Unplug all the external devices connected to your system (except the Keyboard and mouse) and check if it helps.

Method 2:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to set the computer in a clean boot state and check if it helps. Setting the system in a clean boot state will help to identify if any third party applications or startup items are causing the issue.

How to perform a clean boot in Windows

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135/en-us

Warning: After clean boot troubleshooting steps, refer to the section "How to reset the computer to start as usual after troubleshooting with clean boot" in the
    provided link to return your computer to Normal startup mode.

Method 3:

If the issue persists, I suggest you to perform SFC (System File Checker) Scan and check if it helps. SFC scan will scan for corrupt system files on the computer and replace them.

a. Click on Start button and type cmd in the
    search box.

b. Right-click on the “cmd” option and select “Run as Administrator”.

d. Type “sfc /scannow” without quotes and hit
    Enter.

Note: Do not close the Command Prompt Window until the verification is 100% complete. The scan results will be shown after this process is finished.

Hope this information helps. Reply to the post with an updated status of the issue so that we can assist you further.

Geethu B, Jul 6, 2015
  4. ArtMurphy Win User

I have the same problem with Windows 10 as you describe.
    Did you solve it?

ArtMurphy, Aug 16, 2015
  5. Glindis Win User
    I ended up un-installing it since I couldn't figure out how to solve it.

But the day Windows 10 got 'officially' released, I didn't have any problems.

Glindis, Aug 17, 2015
  6. There must be some insidious problem with Win 10 that MS isn't admitting to (surprise!). I installed Win10 on my desktop days ago and then, suddenly yesterday, when I booted into it, I got the dreaded "black screen" problem. Of course, I tried Startup Repair, and (of course) the stupid repair tool said it couldn't repair my machine! Ended up restoring it from an image backup I made last week.

Mark Phelps, Aug 17, 2015
  7. ArtMurphy Win User
    Before coming here to TenForum.com, I first sought help from Microsoft for my frozen Win 10 problem. A number of help buttons on their official site looked promising but every one ended with a "page unavailable" link.
    When I finally found a page offering help with Win 10 installation problems I discovered I needed a Microsoft account before they would help me. In creating a Microsoft account I set up a password which was accepted, but minutes later, when I then attempted to login, I was told the password was incorrect.
    After several unsuccessful login attempts I was prevented from any further login attempts and instead was prompted to supply an email address different from the one I normally used where I would receive an instructional email telling me how to access my Microsoft account.
    The instructional email was a request for information, especially details of recent email activity. Until Microsoft was satisfied with my information I would be unable to access my account -- and the help that was promised.
    In short, they do not believe I am me
    Twice in 24 hours I have been told the information I supplied was not enough to satisfy Microsoft security concerns.
    So my effort to simply get Win 10 to unfreeze now has me locked out of Microsoft help as well.
    Quite aside from issues with Windows 10 itself, Microsoft's entire Win 10 support structure seems incomplete and ill-prepared.
    After all the OS rollouts they have done they have apparently learned next to nothing about how to do it well.
    Think I'll do a clean Win 7 install from CD and try to upgrade to 10 from there.

ArtMurphy, Aug 17, 2015
  8. Joergi Win User

I don't know what information about your e-mails Microsoft believes would not be enough or right or whatever. When I have such problem I usually provide incorrect information until it works. Yeah, not ideal, but it is not my fault that some companies don't believe my last name only has three signs. Then I provide another, longer name and that is it.

Btw: When you are speaking about e-mail activity, which you get asked about, be careful not to disclose sensitive information to a spammer.

Joergi, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer freezes on login and restarts. - Similar Threads - Computer freezes login

2. Computer freezing then restarting.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezing then restarting.: My computer will randomly freeze and restart. I've tried to replicate the problem but am unable to. It seems to happen with no rhyme or reason, could be back to back, could be after a couple of days. Will happen while gaming or just internet browsing with no stress on the...
  3. Computer freezing then restarting.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezing then restarting.: My computer will randomly freeze and restart. I've tried to replicate the problem but am unable to. It seems to happen with no rhyme or reason, could be back to back, could be after a couple of days. Will happen while gaming or just internet browsing with no stress on the...
  4. Computer will freeze and restart with no BSOD.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer will freeze and restart with no BSOD.: When I am playing games, randomly my computer will freeze and restart itself. I ran sfc scan and dism but the problem is still occurring. The windows error is as follows:The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x000000ef 0xffffdf87fff62240,...
  5. Game freezes computer then restarts

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Game freezes computer then restarts: In the past few days, I've been experiencing game freezes on Destiny 2 and Star Trek Online and then my laptop restarts automatically. I am unable to alt-tab nor ctrl-alt-esc, hence my conclusion then the Windows OS froze.I suspect it's a BSOD as just a few minutes ago, I was...
  6. Computer randomly freezing and restarting?

Computer randomly freezing and restarting?: Here is the error Log info:Log Name: System Source: volmgr Date: 11/12/2022 11:11:04 AM Event ID: 161 Task Category: None Level: Error Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-PMTPH7H Description: Dump file creation failed due to error during dump creation. Event Xml:...
  7. Computer graphics freeze, then computer restarts

Computer graphics freeze, then computer restarts: My computer has started randomly freezing the video output, but audio will still play for a few seconds before the whole computer restarts. I believe the issue is a faulty driver. I ran the driver verifier and was given the error: DRIVER_VERIFIER_DETECTED_VIOLATION for the...
  8. computer freezes on restart

computer freezes on restart: running windows 1709 every time i restart i have to do a hard restart because the computer freezes before it will fully shut down and restart . This only happens when when i do windows updates. So i am unable to do 1803 update because of this all drivers are up to date...
  9. Computer freezing at login screen

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezing at login screen: hi, My computer started freezing at the login screen yesterday. I cant do anything with it anymore since it disables all the usb, and keyboard/mouse ports. I have reinstalled windows and installed all my drivers again, but it freezes at normal windows updates which is kind...
  10. Computer freezes on restart

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer freezes on restart: I have had a few issues with my new HP Pavilion Pc570-P027, and now a new one. Whenever I restart the system (click restart) I get a blank screen with RESTARTING in the middle of the screen, and that's it! I can let it sit for hours, and nothing happens. I have to hold the...