Windows 10: Computer freezes when accessing HDD

Discus and support Computer freezes when accessing HDD in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; I have 3 drives in my system,every time I access my partition which is assigned to the WD green ,system will freeze for a second and I can hear my hard... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Sharif, Mar 16, 2016.

1. Sharif Win User

Computer freezes when accessing HDD

I have 3 drives in my system,every time I access my partition which is assigned to the WD green ,system will freeze for a second and I can hear my hard drive ramp up and system comes right back to normal
    Windows is installed on my SSD

As for my 1tb WD blue,the ramp up occurs too but it loads up faster and without the freezing

WD green - 500 GB
    Over 4+ years old (Pretty old,lost count)
    WD blue - 1Tb
    Over 3+ years too

HDD ramps up only when accessing it

SOLVED
    As@CountMike said,I disabled the Hard Drive power saving feature and haven't experienced it since

:)

Sharif, Mar 16, 2016

2. Seagate 2TB External HDD

When I try to access my files on external hdd through file explorer. it freezes. When, I switch it of everything goes back to normal. Works perfectly on TV.

Danie du Plessis, Mar 16, 2016
  3. Windows 10 issue encountered after upgrading from Windows 7

1. Sluggish access of 1TB HDD (2 partitions, Internal drive)

2. Unable to access 2TB HDD (2 partitions, External drive). Windows explorer freeze up or not responding when trying to open a file. Used both USB 2 & 3 ports.

3. No sluggish or freeze while accessing 320GB HDD (External, USB2 & 3)

Current system set-up:

Mobo: Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 (latest BIOS ver. 2501)

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB)

Processor: AMD FX8320

SSD: Crucial M550 128GB (OS only)

HDD: WD Black Caviar 1TB (2 partitions)

Video Card: Powercolor AMD Radeon R9 280X 3GB

PSU: FSP Raider 750watts Silver cert.

GeorgeUsares, Mar 16, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you checked the SMART parameters for the disk(s) recently?

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  5. Sharif Win User
    Computer freezes when accessing HDD [​IMG]

Computer freezes when accessing HDD [​IMG]

As I launched the app I could hear the HDD ramp up

I forgot to mention,it says it's good but as for the technical details mentioned.....so here is a screenshot,as I am incapable of understanding them

Sharif, Mar 17, 2016
  6. dalchina New Member
    dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  7. CountMike New Member
    Probably nothing wrong with the drive itself, It's just going to "sleep" and shuts motor down when not used for some time.
    You can go to Control Panel > Power Options, choose your preferred plan > Change Advanced power settings > Hard Disk > Turn off hard disk after .... and set it to "never".
    Be advised that some HDDs not meant for OS have those power saving options built in and can't be changed thru OS.

CountMike, Mar 17, 2016
  8. Sharif Win User

Strange, I haven't noticed this back in windows 8. Is it turned on in Windows 10 by default?
    Also what about drive life span and clicking noise sometimes present?

Sharif, Mar 17, 2016
  9. Sharif Win User
    Thanks
    Though I have the same issue with the Blue.I have disabled the power saving feature in windows and will report back

Sharif, Mar 17, 2016
  10. dalchina New Member
    Clicking repeatedly e.g 3-4 times a second is a bad sign. Usually = your drive is dead or dying. I.e. back up.. if not already done.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  11. Sharif Win User
    Regarding that,I am thinking if I should replace both of them

I made post on a forum,I am usually at.
    I made this thread to know if the drive start up after being accessed is due to it being faulty or windows configuration
    https://linustechtips.com/main/topic...omment-7453178

Sharif, Mar 17, 2016
  12. CountMike New Member
    It's normal to click few times when starting or waking up, it's doing self check every time. You may also want to check S.M.A.R.T. values. checkdisk and defragment drive/s.

CountMike, Mar 17, 2016
  13. dalchina New Member

..to be clear, I meant clicking continuously is a bad sign.

Also as you may have found, you're not the only one experiencing this with WD Green drives:
    WD Green drive seems to be slowing whole computer down [Solved] - Western Digital - Storage

Since you are using Caviar Green drives (which you should not be doing for a Linux RAID setup, honestly) and already are at it, make sure to disable the power saving features, especially the IntelliPark feature.
    smart - Inexplicably slow Western Digital WD15EARS disk - Server Fault

Western Digital Caviar Green hard drive slow, causes crashes... - HP Support Forum - 792689
    + the comment that it was never meant for use as a primary drive but as mass storage.

dalchina, Mar 17, 2016
  14. Sharif Win User
    Drives are defragmented periodically and currently running a test using the WD diagnostic utility
    Software and Firmware Downloads | WD Support

Sharif, Mar 17, 2016
  15. Sharif Win User
    I haven't heard it click for over a week now,it's that good or bad (It usually goes and comes back)
    The drive clicking is the WD blue

Sharif, Mar 17, 2016
Thema:

1. Computer freezes when accessing HDD - Similar Threads - Computer freezes accessing

2. Computer freezes when idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes when idle: Hello,Ive been experiencing a very wierd issue on my computer. Whenever i boot up and let my computer run idle, the screen will freeze and i wont be able to do anything but hold down power and restart it. Sometimes it will freeze after 4 minutes, sometimes after running idle...
  3. Computer freezes when idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer freezes when idle: Hello,Ive been experiencing a very wierd issue on my computer. Whenever i boot up and let my computer run idle, the screen will freeze and i wont be able to do anything but hold down power and restart it. Sometimes it will freeze after 4 minutes, sometimes after running idle...
  4. HDD Access

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    HDD Access: I have 3 'old' HDD drives, 2 from from previous PC's and 1 removed from a 'My Book' case. the My Book drive (a WD 500GB drive) stopped being recognised by my PC. I attempted to repair using various data Recovery methods, it but kept getting a 'Not Initialised' message and a...
  5. Computer freezes when multitasking

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Computer freezes when multitasking: I recently bought a decently powerful new PC, (Ryzen 5 3600, RX 5500 XT with 16GB of RAM) and I have been having issues with it. There's a 30% chance every time I alt-tab or start a program that is fullscreen while for example google chrome is running, the computer freezes...
  6. Computer freezing when gaming

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezing when gaming: This problem has been happening for awhile now. I will start a game with friends apex legends, COD and about midway through my pc will freeze and the rgb lights inside my case will go still. The image on the screen will stay the same and I'm not able to talk through discord...
  7. HDD admin access

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    HDD admin access: So i upgraded my pc to an internal m2 ssd, everything is working beautiful apart from my one of my old hdds. All other hdds are working perfectly apart from one. Im not new to computing so i know how to follow the steps to change permissions in the security panel, but it just...
  8. Computer Freezes then Recovers when accessing certain websites

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer Freezes then Recovers when accessing certain websites: Recently my computer has been locking up when accessing certain websites but then it would recover and load the website properly about 5-10 seconds later. I don't know what could be causing the problem because running a chkdsk command in CMD says that the hard drive is okay...
  9. Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes

Can't access old laptop HDD, freezes: I'm trying to access some files from an older laptop that no longer works. When I connect the hard drive (Seagate ST500LM021 500GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cashe SATA - OEM) from my old laptop to my new personal laptop (Manufacturer: Acer, Model: Aspire R5-571TG) the computer...
  10. Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files

Secondary HDD freezes when writting to/deleting files: Since late Sep 2015 updates, I have been getting random freezes when writing files to secondary HDD via Internet Download Manager and also freezes when deleting big file in that HDD. Things done to fix but failed: 1. update Internet Download Manager to latest version 2....