Windows 10: Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In

Discus and support Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security to solve the problem; I am in a large pickle here. My computer has a virus which makes it keep typing apostrophe's, which prevents me from logging in. The key is not sticky,... Discussion in 'AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security' started by Masterofcards, Aug 14, 2016.

1. Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In

I am in a large pickle here. My computer has a virus which makes it keep typing apostrophe's, which prevents me from logging in. The key is not sticky, and I also tried a different keyboard. Whenever I shut it off, the light flashes on the power button, and when I start it up, I cannot press F8 and go into safe mode, which makes me certain there is a virus. Is there anything I can do about it?

:)

Masterofcards, Aug 14, 2016

2. A user has locked his computer and I cannot get in.

The link you sent simply describes the regular process of creating a new local user account using the normal options.

Shawn 'Cmdr' Keene [MVP], Aug 14, 2016
  3. A user has locked his computer and I cannot get in.

A user has locked his computer and I cannot get in. I should be able to log on as administrator but I cannot. There is no ability to switch users.

ChrisShaefer, Aug 14, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In

Hi, without trying to address the virus aspect, are you aware F8 is obsolete in that context and no longer supported? Why?
    a. Fast startup
    b. Faster start up times mean there's not likely to be time for the user to hit the key quickly enough.
    c. introduction of automatic repair

Here's how:
    Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums

Note:
    a. In the Tutorials, you can add safe mode to your boot options, so you would always have that as a prompt with a timeout after a startup.
    b. People have posted how to add F8 back. But if you use SSD not HDD. I'd suggest there's little point - 12s or so from startup to the lock screen.

Comment: I would regard not being able to use F8 as indicative of a virus being present, even if I were using Win 7, the last OS to use F8 in this way.

dalchina, Aug 14, 2016
  5. simrick Win User
    Hi.
    Simulating 3 failed startups will bring you into the Advanced Recovery Mode. Then you could get to a Command Prompt and enable the Hidden Administrator Account (Option #4):
    Administrator account - Enable or Disable in Windows 10 - Windows 10 Forums

Once you have that account, you can either remove the password from your existing account, or create a new admin account without a password, to get you into the system. Be sure to hide the account when you are finished.

See here, Option #1, to get to Command Prompt in the Recovery Environment:
    Recovery Environment - Use to Troubleshoot Windows 10 Failure to Boot - Windows 10 Forums

Once in the system, run some scans to see if you are indeed infected.

simrick, Aug 16, 2016
  6. I'm sorry I couldn't reply earlier, but I am very confused. It seems like all of the things I'm being told I can do require being able to get into the computer, or having a recovery drive.

Masterofcards, Aug 20, 2016
  7. simrick Win User
    simrick, Aug 20, 2016
  8. Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In

What is the first thing for? Reinstalling Windows 10? What I need is a way to boot up my computer in safe Mode without already being in there or already having something installed.

Masterofcards, Aug 20, 2016
  9. Borg 386 Win User
    Suggest you d/l & use a bootable AV scanner on either a disk or USB. You have your choice of them here.

15 Free Bootable Antivirus Tools (August 2016)

Borg 386, Aug 21, 2016
  10. Look guys, I'm sorry, but I am not very tech savvy. I'm just a casual laptop user, so please forgive me. You want me to install Windows 10 on a USB drive from a different computer, and then I can use the USB to get into my computer without having to type the password? And from there, I can scan my computer for a virus?

Masterofcards, Aug 27, 2016
  11. dalchina New Member
    No, let's try to make it simple.

1. You can't boot the PC using its internal disk
    2. You should be able to boot it from a bootable DVD or USB device
    3. You need to do a virus scan on it.
    4. Some AV manufacturers supply a bootable disk with an AV scanner on it
    5. The intention is that you download and burn such a disk, boot your PC from it, and scan your PC.

That's always assuming that the problem with your PC is, in fact, a virus or malware... which we don't know.

dalchina, Aug 27, 2016
  12. Tonyb Win User
    Do this and then post back with your results, have not heard of any virus that would make your kyb do this, but there is always a first, in everything. to me it sound more like malware then a virus. once you are done doing the scans and what not let all of us no what it was.

Tonyb, Sep 2, 2016
  13. Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In

I am trying to go to browse those links you guys gave me to figure out how to do this thing, but there is a lot of complicated stuff I don't understand that I am expected to do.

Masterofcards, Sep 3, 2016
  14. dalchina New Member
    I think you need to ask someone more familiar with PC's to sit down with you and help you.

As an experiment, you could try booting to Safe Mode.

You can get to safe mode if you can get to the login screen. There you press SHIFT and hold it down, and click Restart.
    Safe Mode - Start Windows 10 in - Windows 10 Forums
    You will then see screens like Option 1 in that.

Please say if you can then log in.

dalchina, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In

1. Computer Has a Virus, Cannot Get In - Similar Threads - Computer Has Virus

2. How to know if your computer has a virus?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    How to know if your computer has a virus?: Can someone check my computer if i have virus and how to know if your coputer has a virus https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/how-to-know-if-your-computer-has-a-virus/186fe64c-96b3-4180-9761-5a18a0924fb1
  3. My computer has virus

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    My computer has virus: I touch computer when i have COVID does my computer have virus???? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/my-computer-has-virus/6683940a-d2ec-476f-85ea-5521507e0ba8
  4. computer has a 'PUA:Win32/Creprote' - virus

computer has a 'PUA:Win32/Creprote' - virus: computer has a 'PUA:Win32/Creprote' - virus in the apps section which will not respond to being removed or quarantined? It is slowing my computer down a lot How do i get rid of it?...
  5. Is My Computer Has A Virus?

Is My Computer Has A Virus?: What Is Happening In My Computer? [IMG] https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/all/is-my-computer-has-a-virus/5569b8ed-6365-4b26-b3b2-cb218fcf76e3
  6. My computer has an undetectable virus on it

My computer has an undetectable virus on it: Hi, I have a windows 10 computer and the Norton Antivirus. My computer fans started spinning loudly, and my monitor went black. Upon restarting my computer two command prompts popped up. I have ran a full system scan with Norton and haven't found anything my program files...
  7. My Computer has a nasty virus

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    My Computer has a nasty virus: I think the virus is called Win 10 and it keeps reinstalling malware that goes by several names: Bing there are several forms of this malware, xBox, Your Phone and so on. Any tips on how to prevent this nasty, nasty virus from updating every few days? Thank you...
  8. My Computer Has An Ugly Virus

My Computer Has An Ugly Virus: I'm going to try to give as much information as possible so please bare with me when it comes to length. I have an hp Envy dv7 64 bit. I've had it for about 4 years. I hadn't had it long before my son accidentally kicked it off a crate that I have it sitting on for well...
  9. My computer has a virus

My computer has a virus: So there's two issues: 1) My computer has a virus with the svcvmx program and anything related to it. My antivirus won't start or download. I've tried everything possible I could but nothing is happening. 2) My Internet will connect but there's no Internet. I've tried...
  10. Computer slow and potentially has viruses.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer slow and potentially has viruses.: So this computer is very slow and It probably has viruses. Windows starts up and cmd.exe starts up. This computer should be running faster than it is right now. I have a 32bit computer windows 7 and it runs faster than this. Someone help. 31870