Windows 10: Computer is Killing Internet

Discus and support Computer is Killing Internet in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; Internet speed has been a battle for over a month. Thought it was AT&T, but found that if I disconnect my main computer, speeds return to normal. Same... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by Jerald7, Nov 5, 2017.

1. Jerald7 Win User

Computer is Killing Internet

Internet speed has been a battle for over a month. Thought it was AT&T, but found that if I disconnect my main computer, speeds return to normal. Same results if this PC is connected via Ethernet or Wi-Fi. I can shut this PC down, boot up a laptop, and the Internet is fine. One crazy thing is that if Outlook is running on this problem computer, often the Internet speeds come back up. Shut down Outlook, and Internet speed dies. This is not consistent though, with Outlook running it periodically dies. May just be coincidental.

Windows 10 Professional, Version 1703 (build 15063.674)

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

:)

Jerald7, Nov 5, 2017

2. WMI Provider Host is killing my computer

1. PICK ONE:

OPTION A => I uninstalled the McAfee application via the Control Panel.

OPTION B => I uninstalled the McAfee application via the Control Panel AND THEN I downloaded/ran the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool, followed by a reboot.

2. Is a Webroot application currently installed?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 5, 2017
  3. WMI Provider Host is killing my computer

Was it an "open box" computer when you bought it?

PA Bear - MS MVP, Nov 5, 2017
  4. Computer is Killing Internet

Hi Jerald7.

You didn't mention, is this device wired or wireless. Assuming wired have you re-seated cables, better yet use a different cable.

Are any devices in Device manager showing an exclamation mark?

What are you using for AV scan, have you tried an alternate like Malwarebytes located at malwarebytes. com (free)

If you open task manager, click on Performance tab, click on Open Resource Monitor, go to network tab, is there a process that is extremely high? What are the high processes.

Have you tried a Network Reset.

Start => Settings => Network & internet => Scroll to bottom of right hand side =>Network Reset

This will cause you to “Forget” your wireless passwords and you may have to reset any VPN or customized communication software if you use.

If you view Windows Updates is there any chance there is a reoccurring update failing, like Fall Creator Update?

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 5, 2017
  5. bro67 Win User
    If that computer is shut down or you use a Linux Live CD to check speeds, it can show you if there is a issue. You need to go to http://192.168.1.254/cgi-bin/broadbandstatistics.ha and look at the tables. Below the second table, what does it state for Max Download and Upload? Any CRC errors in that second table? Any mass errored seconds also in the second table?

bro67, Nov 6, 2017
  6. @bro67.... is it always 192.168.1.254 or do we adjust for our specific internal range like 192.168.0.254?

Caledon Ken, Nov 6, 2017
  7. bro67 Win User
    192.168.1.254 (IP range starts at 192.168.1.1, I go with 192.168.2.60 to 90) is out of the box when ATT sets it. I set mine to 192.168.2.1, since I migrated out from a Edge Router that I was using, before I pulled it. It just made things a bit easier with my setup, due to I use a external A/P for handling all wifi. My speeds stay the same, whether they are Wifi or Ethernet, no matter if it is the desktop that runs Windows 10 or our Macbook. The iOS and Android OS devices do screw up the speedtest at times, with the exception of the NVIDIA Shield, which has a fast CPU.

bro67, Nov 6, 2017
  8. Computer is Killing Internet

Thanks. So this test is specific to AT & T users and the address range used is specific to the range you are using in house.

Ken

Caledon Ken, Nov 6, 2017
  9. bro67 Win User
    First thing is asking them what is on certain screens, especially the one that shows Broadband Status and Home Network Status.

bro67, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

Computer is Killing Internet

1. Computer is Killing Internet - Similar Threads - Computer Killing Internet

2. Internet Connection Sharing kills all internet.

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Internet Connection Sharing kills all internet.: Hi all,I've been working from home for about 2 years, using the same set up. I have a desk phone that I need for my job, and to avoid having a network cable running from the phone to the router which is in another room, and is a tripping hazard, I've been connecting to the...
  3. Internet Connection Sharing kills all internet.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Internet Connection Sharing kills all internet.: Hi all,I've been working from home for about 2 years, using the same set up. I have a desk phone that I need for my job, and to avoid having a network cable running from the phone to the router which is in another room, and is a tripping hazard, I've been connecting to the...
  4. Internet Connection Sharing kills all internet.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Windows 10 is killing my computer

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Windows 10 is killing my computer: I have never had as many issues with my laptop as I'm having right now. What the hell can I do to fix it? It's slowed down unbelievably and everything takes about 5 minutes to open. This happened after the last update cycle which failed to work on my computer and I'm at a...
  6. Windows update kills my internet connection...

Windows update kills my internet connection...: On my wife's Surface, every night Windows runs the latest update and loses the internet connection. Every morning I uninstall the update and the internet connection is back... Can you fix this problem?...
  7. Update killed my computer!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Update killed my computer!: So after one of your wonderful Windows updates on my Asus Zenbook Flip, it went to a blue screen and said it had to restart. The laptop shut down and now it's completely dead...no lights, no charging, no nothing. What the heck did you do Microsoft...this is my lifeline for...
  8. Private Internet Access Re: Kill Switch

Private Internet Access Re: Kill Switch: Anyone using PIA and have the Kill Switch enabled? They gave me a pop "dire" warning when I went to enable it: VPN Kill SwitchPlease only enable VPN Kill Switch if you really need it. The Kill Switch requires modifying the Operating System's network settings and can in rare...
  9. CLOSE_WAIT Issue, Kills Internet

CLOSE_WAIT Issue, Kills Internet: So recently every few days I have been losing some functionality of the internet, mainly browser functions (all three major) and a few other internet related things. I can ping and lookup and etc. Well I narrowed it down by the Event Log Error and found out its due to the...
  10. Creators Update killed my internet connection ?

Creators Update killed my internet connection ?: After the Windows 10 32 bit automatic Fall Creators Update install....this PC running Win 10 32 bit lost all internet service/connections - trouble shooter said windows pci wifi card was not operationg. Tried everything I could think of...even ordered a new pci network...