Windows 10: Computer locks me out when idle if apps or windows are open

Discus and support Computer locks me out when idle if apps or windows are open in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hoping someone could help me with a problem. I have a desktop computer. Since uploading Windows 10, lately if I have any apps or web pages open and the... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by bluecrow, Apr 16, 2016.

1. bluecrow Win User

Computer locks me out when idle if apps or windows are open

Hoping someone could help me with a problem. I have a desktop computer. Since uploading Windows 10, lately if I have any apps or web pages open and the computer is idle for about 15 or 20 minutes or longer, the screen goes black and if I can even get the black screen back to where it was before it went black, none of the apps or windows that were open will close or do anything. If I click on the red "X" to close the app or window, I get a spinning pinwheel that just spins and spins and nothing happens. Hitting "Control-Alt-Delete" does nothing either. The only way I can get back control of my computer is to shut down manually by pushing the button to shut it off, and then restarting. When I restart, the windows and apps that were open can now be closed and I have control back. I know it's not good for the computer to be shut down like this repeatedly. This phenomenon only started happening a few weeks ago. Before that, I didn't have this problem. I don't know if it has been the case ever since I uploaded Windows 10, but I think when I first uploaded it, things were fine. I don't always remember to "shut everything down" before I walk away from my computer for a few minutes, and I shouldn't have to do that. As I said, this is only a recent occurrence. It NEVER used to do this! This is NOT a case of the computer just going to sleep, and it is NOT simply a matter of adjusting the sleep-time setting. Does anyone know how I can fix this?

:)

bluecrow, Apr 16, 2016
  2. tjrasmus Win User

Computer logs me out if it's idle for a few minutes

Still am puzzled as to how to correct this problem and am hoping for some help. Is this something MS instituted in it's last update?

tjrasmus, Apr 16, 2016
  3. Computer logs me out if it's idle for a few minutes

Which version of Windows?

Don

Don Varnau, Apr 16, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

Suggestions : Please use them the way they are listed.

1. Run a full scan to make sure your computer is clean.

2. Run a system file check to look for corrupt files. It will try to do repair if any found.
    Right click at Start button > click Command Prompt (Admin) > at the flashing prompt, copy/paste this.......
    sfc /scannow

> press Enter.
    It will take quite sometime.
    When finished, it will give you one of the 3 reports...............(paraphrasing)
    (1). No integrity violation.
    (2). Found corrupt files and repair successful.
    (3). Found corrupt files but unable to repair.

If the report is #1, your solution lies elsewhere.
    If the report is #2, check if your problems have been resolved.
    If the report is #3, use this method................
    In the same Command Prompt (Admin) windows, copy and paste this command...........

dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

> press Enter.
    Again it will take some time.
    When finished, it will give you a report.

*** please post back the results.***

3. If the above 2 methods do not fix the problem, do a Repair Install.
    Repair Install Windows 10 with an In-place Upgrade

davidhk, Apr 16, 2016
  5. bluecrow Win User
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will try the full scan first (as suggested) using the Windows Defender. I will try the additional suggestions as I can (if necessary and depending on when I can devote the time needed for it). I need my computer during the day so if additional scans and checks are needed, they may have to wait until nighttime when I am not using the computer.

bluecrow, Apr 16, 2016
  6. davidhk Win User
    You should check for malwares too.
    Malwarebytes is the best in the business.
    Use this link to download the free version and run it. It is the true FREE download. Not a Trial version.
    http://filehippo.com/download_malwar..._anti_malware/

davidhk, Apr 16, 2016
  7. bluecrow Win User
    I did the full scan as you suggested and that didn't help. I also installed a screensaver and that didn't change anything. I haven't done the system file check yet, but I may attempt that when I know I won't be using my computer for a while since you said it will take some time. I'm a little afraid to mess too deeply with things since I've no idea what I'm doing. I know you gave very specific instructions but I am still somewhat fearful about starting this. . .but maybe. . .

I am downloading the Malwarebytes right now and will see what that does, if anything. Thanks again! will keep posted.

bluecrow, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer locks me out when idle if apps or windows are open - Similar Threads - Computer locks idle

2. Computer freezes & locks when using windows or idle

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer freezes & locks when using windows or idle: I ran every cmd command and nothing came back bad, i just factory reset and reinstalled windows , nothing seems to work , i updated my motherboard , i updated my GPU , idk what else to do? If I’m not playing a video game my pc will just lock up and freeze & i have to power it...
  3. Computer freezes & locks when using windows or idle

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer freezes & locks when using windows or idle: I ran every cmd command and nothing came back bad, i just factory reset and reinstalled windows , nothing seems to work , i updated my motherboard , i updated my GPU , idk what else to do? If I’m not playing a video game my pc will just lock up and freeze & i have to power it...
  4. Computer freezes & locks when using windows or idle

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. Computer reset failed and locked me out.

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer reset failed and locked me out.: Today I tried to reset my pc to hopefully improve performance. I chose the clean wipe option and it got to 44% and then started to undo changes. When I turned it on and tried to log in my account's profile is gone and when I try to sign in it says "The User Profile Service...
  6. Computer rest failed and locked me out.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer rest failed and locked me out.: Today I tried to reset my pc to hopefully improve performance. I chose the clean wipe option and it got to 44% and then started to undo changes. When I turned it on and tried to log in my account's profile is gone and when I try to sign in it says "The User Profile Service...
  7. Computer rest failed and locked me out.

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer rest failed and locked me out.: Today I tried to reset my pc to hopefully improve performance. I chose the clean wipe option and it got to 44% and then started to undo changes. When I turned it on and tried to log in my account's profile is gone and when I try to sign in it says "The User Profile Service...
  8. My computer locked me out?

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    My computer locked me out?: I have not touched my computer at all and my password was working yesterday, but today when I enter my password it locks me out. It says my password is incorrect and I have typed it multiple times, checked the caps lock, and made sure it was correct but it still won’t let me...
  9. Windows locked me out of my computer for no reason

in User Accounts and Family Safety
    Windows locked me out of my computer for no reason: So i was cleaning my computer earlier today and getting ready for backing it up with aomei backupper, and windows decided to add a password to my user account for some reason, without notifying me first. So i tried to sign in after booting my computer, and got a message...
  10. My computer is locking me out

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    My computer is locking me out: i dont even know what to do at this point my start button and search button dont open when i click them i cant right click them when i try to run any thing in the run box it says my computer isnt ready the only things i can open are some of my files and my command prompt....