Windows 10: Computer Management access disabled except in Administrative Tools

Discus and support Computer Management access disabled except in Administrative Tools in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Within the last couple days the path to get to Computer Management has been limited to only the Windows Administrative Tools menu. I am using Classic... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by ARYLIOA, May 8, 2017.

1. ARYLIOA Win User

Computer Management access disabled except in Administrative Tools

Within the last couple days the path to get to Computer Management has been limited to only the Windows Administrative Tools menu. I am using Classic Shell, and when the problem first showed up I thought perhaps the path which I normally use via This PC, then a right-click on Manage, was failing there. However, If I navigate to This PC via File Explorer, Manage is also inoperative. No message appears, the system just seems to ignore the pick.

On further check I found this has happened on all four of my machines, and I know that on at least three of them the only changes since I last used my preferred means to get to Computer Management have been made by Windows Update. My suspicion is that an update has changed a default setting.

I found the following suggest solution on another site, but none of my registries contain that sequence (Explorer does not appear under Policies), and a search for the specific key does not find one to modify anyplace in the Registry. I am reluctant to edit the Registry with that many anomalies since the entire path could be wrong at any level and ugly things might happen. Kind of a Idiot's Russian Roulette thing to mess with the Registry with that many loaded cylinders.

• Navigate to the following location in the registry:
      • HKEY_CURRENT_USER
      • SOFTWARE
      • Microsoft
      • Windows
      • CurrentVersion
      • Policies
      • Explorer
    • Double-click on “NoManageMyComputerVerb” if it exists. If it doesn’t exist, you can create it.
    • Set this value to “1” to disable the Manage option. Set this value to “0” to enable the Manage option.

Have any of the rest of you come across the problem? Does anyone have a definitive fix so I can get there via This PC > right-click Manage?

:)

ARYLIOA, May 8, 2017

2. I just worngly disable some of my services then I can't open all of software in Administrative Tools such as Task Manager, Computer Manager, Service.msc and etc. So can I enable it back?Help me plzzz

I just worngly disable some of my services then I can't open all of software in Administrative Tools such as Task Manager, Computer Manager, Service.msc and etc. So can I enable it back?Help me

ThihaNaing, May 8, 2017
  3. Kem Mon Win User
    I have windows 10 and Google Chrome installed. When I am on the Internet my computer freezes up and it does not matter what site I am looking at.

Thank you for bringing this up.

To gain your
    Administrator
    rights, you need to change the properties of the
    Administrator account
    using the
    Computer Management. To do this, follow these steps:

• Right-click on the
      Start menu
      and select
      Computer Management.

• Select
      Local Users and Groups.

• Choose
      Users.

• Right-click on the
      Administrator
      and select
      Properties.

• Under
      General Tab, uncheck
      Account is disabled
      checkbox.

• Close the
      Computer Management.

Try to access Command Prompt as Administrator to check if you regain the Administrator rights.

Let us know if there's any changes.

Regards.

Kem Mon, May 8, 2017
  4. Fixer Win User

I suspect Classic Shell. Three Win 10s here without it, no problems with Manage

Fixer, May 8, 2017
  5. ARYLIOA Win User
    As I said, so did I until I tried the direct route via File Explorer. If nothing shows up here in a day or so, I will pull Classic Shell off one of the computers just to verify if it is involved. However, I have been running Classic Shell since about day 3 of the original release date of W10 until (maybe, can't be sure of last use of Manage) 7 or 8 days ago with no problems. On top of that, I would not expect it to have affected File Explorer even though I admit stranger things have happened.

ARYLIOA, May 8, 2017
  6. spunk Win User
    Press the Windows key+X. can you access Computer Management that way?
    Also, go to Search and type diskmgmt.msc and press enter. Does that work?

spunk, May 9, 2017
  7. ARYLIOA Win User
    Those both work as expected on all four computers. Windows +X brings up the full menu of options and the Computer Management pick comes up with no problem. Disk Management comes up normally on the second.

ARYLIOA, May 9, 2017
  8. Computer Management access disabled except in Administrative Tools

I have Classic Shell on three Win 10 computers with no issues at all.

stealth2920, May 9, 2017
  9. ARYLIOA Win User
    Are both of you (Fixer and stealth2920, or anyone else, for that matter) using Classic Shell W7 type menus?
    Do you have This PC shown on the right side of the menu?
    If you right-click on This PC and then click on Manage, does the Computer Management screen come up?

I really don't think it is Classic Shell. But if you would run that check for me, and it works, it would prove it. That would prove I have another problem entirely. Of course, if you can't bring up Computer Management that way, MS may have a problem.

ARYLIOA, May 9, 2017
  10. Yes I have the Win 7 type menu on Classic Shell on all three Win 10 computers. I just now ran the check you suggested and the computer management screen comes up on all three.

stealth2920, May 9, 2017
  11. ARYLIOA Win User
    Thank you.

I will add the NoManageMyComputerVerb to at least one of my machines. I found many online references to it by searching for it specifically last night. All show the same path in the Registry to add it. What has overridden the previous performance on mine is anyone's guess, but I will see if adding it will force the options to work again.

There are so many parameters in W10 Settings that one of them (even though I have not changed any in many months) may have combined with a W10 update to stop what used to work. I will report on that when I am done.

ARYLIOA, May 9, 2017
  12. ARYLIOA Win User
    Here's the result of that little exercise:

Adding NoManageMyComputerVerb with a 1 argument results in ghosting the Manage option in File Explorer and removing it entirely from the right-click of This PC in Classic Shell. But adding it with a 0 does not restore its use in File Explorer or with the right-click on This PC on my computers.

This still leaves me guessing and out of luck. Unless something definitive shows up here, I will have to burn Windows +X into my brain and get there by that sequence. That continues to operate as normal regardless of the argument used in the Registry. It is just as easy but was not the habit I had formed over the years. Oh, well, live and learn.

Thanks to those who have responded.

ARYLIOA, May 9, 2017
  13. bro67 Win User

GPO is now only allowed in the Volume and Enterprise editions. this was put out when the Anniversary Edition rolled out. On the install that I did with a Windows 8.1 Pro license, the tools did come back for that instance of 10 Creators. All GPO was able to be accessed for the person who owned the laptop.

This has zero to do with Clasic Shell.

bro67, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer Management access disabled except in Administrative Tools - Similar Threads - Computer Management access

2. I accidentally deleted every account except Administrator from computer management

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    I accidentally deleted every account except Administrator from computer management: Hello everyoneI am Asif, i am using windows 10. i was using my pc i accidentally deleted my current user. its operation got successfully, but then i shut down my pc then i was trying to login to my pc its saying incorrect password what my i do, i can see only till login page....
  3. I accidentally deleted every account except Administrator from computer management

in Windows Hello & Lockscreen
    I accidentally deleted every account except Administrator from computer management: Hello everyoneI am Asif, i am using windows 10. i was using my pc i accidentally deleted my current user. its operation got successfully, but then i shut down my pc then i was trying to login to my pc its saying incorrect password what my i do, i can see only till login page....
  4. Administrator Access Disabled?

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Administrator Access Disabled?: I just purchased a Windows 11 pc and set it up yesterday. I ran netplwiz yesterday to disable the need for a password at start-up as this is a family computer and we all just need one sign-in. At start-up this morning I now have two accounts to choose from, both mine attached...
  5. Administrator Access Disabled?

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Administrator Access Disabled?: I just purchased a Windows 11 pc and set it up yesterday. I ran netplwiz yesterday to disable the need for a password at start-up as this is a family computer and we all just need one sign-in. At start-up this morning I now have two accounts to choose from, both mine attached...
  6. Administrator Access and Tools Not Working

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Administrator Access and Tools Not Working: Whenever I try to use administrator tools, (e.g. “Do you to allow this app to make changes to your device?”) it just says the request is not supported after a long blank screen. How do I fix this? It may be important to note this started after A file corrupted submitted by...
  7. Unable to access administrative tools

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Unable to access administrative tools: I have mistakenly removed all the files from the program data folder. I am currently using windows 10 home edition. [ATTACH] Getting this error after running the control admintools from administrative powershell, please help me to get these files back I have tried several...
  8. Task Manager disabled by Administrator

in Windows 10 Ask Insider
    Task Manager disabled by Administrator: Hey guys, I need help about Task Manager, my task manager keep disabled by administrator everytime i restart my laptop, i always need to use a command prompt to fix it temporaly, can anyone help me how to fix it for good? This is the command prompt i used everytime i...
  9. Administrator denied access to Windows Administrative Tools

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Administrator denied access to Windows Administrative Tools: So I tried accessing computer management on my Windows 10 PC and i get the message saying an administrator has blocked you from running the app. Please contact the administrator for details. My question is why am i getting this error when i am the administrator of the PC and...
  10. Issues while accessing Task Manager and Registry Error: Disabled by Administrator

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Issues while accessing Task Manager and Registry Error: Disabled by Administrator: Anytime I try to open my Task Manager or Regedit I get a notification which says it has been disabled by the administrator. I use Windows 10 Home. Please can anyone help me? ***Original title: Problem With Task Manager And Regedit***...