Windows 10: Computer manager password

Discus and support Computer manager password in User Accounts and Family Safety to solve the problem; Hi, Since update to Windows 10 creators edition, if I right click "This PC" and select "Manage" I'm not asked for my Admin password anymore, thus I... Discussion in 'User Accounts and Family Safety' started by malleybo, Apr 23, 2017.

1. malleybo Win User

Computer manager password

Hi,

Since update to Windows 10 creators edition, if I right click "This PC" and select "Manage" I'm not asked for my Admin password anymore, thus I can't manage the Admin settings for my computer.

Is this a bug or has MS change this by design??

TIA

:)

malleybo, Apr 23, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

Microsoft A/C Passwords

For security, it's never a good idea to use the same password everywhere. Computer users commonly have dozens of unique passwords. I personally have 264 unique passwords at present.

The solution is to use a password manager. These have been around for years. With a password manager, you only have to remember one password - the password for your password manager. The software then remembers all your passwords for you and makes them easily
    available to you.

Here are some popular password managers: Dashlane, LastPass, RoboForm and 1Password. You'll find more by searching the web for

password manager

BulldogXX, Apr 23, 2017
  3. SarahKong Win User
    password managers

I use Keepass on my Windows.

I use it for a place where all my passwords are saved.

It isn't automatic though, meaning when I change a password say for my Microsoft account I still need to open Keepass and update it in there.

But it's all i need really.

KeePass Password Safe

SarahKong, Apr 23, 2017
  4. mrgeek Win User

I'm not asked for one either by r-click or clicking 'Manage' in the ribbon. But I can't say that I ever used it that way before CU. Maybe some one using a Local Acct w/o admin priv's will chime in.

mrgeek, Apr 23, 2017
  5. malleybo Win User
    If you run your account as a limited user, right clicking "This PC" and selecting "Manage" asks you for your admin password, or used to, same problem occurs on my laptop.

Would like to know if anyone else is having this issue...

I've got a work round, creating a custom console that runs with Admin privileges when opened.

malleybo, Apr 23, 2017
  6. Bree New Member
    Yes, I can confirm that a standard user in 1607 is asked for an admin account and password to Manage This PC, in 1703 they are not. It does look like a bug. *Sad

Until it's fixed, try typing mmc compmgmt.msc in the Cortana/Search box. You can right-click on the result it finds and 'Run as Administrator'.

7. mrgeek Win User
    Bree: "I can confirm that a standard user in 1607 is asked for an admin account and password to Manage This PC, in 1703 they are not. It does look like a bug."

I'll know at end of month. I service 4 family computers by remote at end of each month. All were set up as Local Account w/o admin to minimize malware or virus installs so my pass/PIN was always required to install anything, mostly prog updates. All have been upgraded to CU at middle of month so I can check the next time I connect. Thanks for pointing this out, it would be a notable flaw to allow standard users to install or manage.

mrgeek, Apr 23, 2017
  8. Bree New Member

No the bug is quite the opposite. A standard user should be asked for an admin account/password to run Manage This PC as an administrator should they need to. In 1703 they are not offered this option, it just runs without admin privileges and nothing works.

9. malleybo Win User
    Yup! looks like a bug, thanx *Smile

I've created a shortcut for a custom mmc that requires a password for Admin rights as a work round.

malleybo, Apr 5, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer manager password - Similar Threads - Computer manager password

2. password manager

in Windows 10 Gaming
    password manager: I'm on Win 10 and use Google Chrome.Whenever I join anything that needs a username and password, a box drops down and asks meif I want to save those. I like that, but I haven't downloaded any manager.Is this something built into Google Chrome or Win10?Thanks,Betty Holt...
  3. password manager

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    password manager: I'm on Win 10 and use Google Chrome.Whenever I join anything that needs a username and password, a box drops down and asks meif I want to save those. I like that, but I haven't downloaded any manager.Is this something built into Google Chrome or Win10?Thanks,Betty Holt...
  4. password manager

in Windows 10 Customization
  5. Is there a password manager for microsoft?

Is there a password manager for microsoft?: Won't use it very much mostly just need my accounts and passwords backed up remotely. I use google password manager but clearing local history in chrome can cause the disapperance of passwords. Don't want to just have a .csv file completely unencrypted on onedrive but do need...
  6. Password Managers

Password Managers: Do you need more than 1 password manager, just in case something goes wrong with 1 of them? Would they have a conflict with each other?
  7. Password Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Manager: How does Password Manager work? I don't understand how you update & why PM doesn't update passwords when needed behind the scenes. And it totally confuses me when I enter a New Password and at the end, a box pops open and askes me IF I want to save the new password....
  8. Password Manager

in AntiVirus, Firewalls and System Security
    Password Manager: Windows remembers and plugs in passwords for various websites. I keep getting an additional password plugged in on top of the new one I am trying to create. How do I stop the auto plugging of the password? How do I get to the password manager?...
  9. Password Manager Edge

in Windows 10 Customization
    Password Manager Edge: Hi. I love the password manager but previously when I opened some sites, the Edge PM asked to remember password but I chose not to. Now each and everytime I go to that site I keep on entering PW manually. How can I undo that? So that next time I login I don't have to enter...
  10. Choosing a Password Manager

Choosing a Password Manager: Hello everyone, After using Windows 10 for several months, I finally decided to search for a free password manager for my HP. Well, I am not familiar with those at all. The question, which rise up in my head is: If I perform a clean install of Windows 10 /which I have...

Users found this page by searching for:

1. can credential manager remember local windows acct name and password