Windows 10: Computer Name in System

Discus and support Computer Name in System in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Looking under System, what does DESKTOP-DMC#### mean instead of the name you want for your pc? 90073 Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Jackman33, Jul 28, 2017.

1. Jackman33 Win User

Computer Name in System

Looking under System, what does DESKTOP-DMC#### mean instead of the name you want for your pc?

:)

Jackman33, Jul 28, 2017

2. Computer name

Hi Zeb

There have been some changes made.

I would recommend that you ask this question on the TechNet forums. This is where Microsoft supports the Enterprise versions.

Technet Windows 10 ITPro Forums:Technet forums - Windows 10 IT Pro

Regards

Ronnie Vernon, Jul 28, 2017
  3. Sumit Dhiman2, Jul 28, 2017
  4. Tony K Win User

Computer Name in System

Hi there. That's the name Windows gives it to record in your account. If you want to change it open Settings > System > About.

Tony K, Jul 28, 2017
  5. Jackman33 Win User
    Do I need to record it any place for the future??

Jackman33, Jul 28, 2017
  6. Tony K Win User
    I never have and never needed the old name/number. You may want to if you like.

Tony K, Jul 28, 2017
  7. Tony K Win User
    Just to be sure > You can view all your devices in your MS account > Devices tab. It will change there also.

Tony K, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

Computer Name in System

1. Computer Name in System - Similar Threads - Computer Name System

2. Name of computer

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Name of computer: When I originally set up my laptop I logged in with my hotmail account. I have since created a business standard account and login to my outlook etc via the apps. The problem is the computer is still attached to the hotmail account. I wish to give the laptop to a new employee...
  3. Name of computer

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Name of computer: When I originally set up my laptop I logged in with my hotmail account. I have since created a business standard account and login to my outlook etc via the apps. The problem is the computer is still attached to the hotmail account. I wish to give the laptop to a new employee...
  4. Computer name

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer name: I changed the computer name on my new Dell XPS and the computer now shows that as its name, however, the old name is still showing up as a network device. Of course when you click on it, you get a not found message. How do I get rid of this?...
  5. Naming Computer

in Windows 10 Customization
    Naming Computer: It's been awhile since I had to set up a new computer. There are two places to 'name your computer' one is in system properties in control panel. The other is in settings/system. Which one do I use? Do I have to do it in both places?...
  6. COMPUTER NAME

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    COMPUTER NAME: I changed my pc IP, DNS names to "mypurplelaptop" and now want to restore them to the original names but I don't know what they are supposed to be. Can someone walk me through this in detail?...
  7. Computer Name

in Windows 10 Updates and Activation
    Computer Name: I want to change the computer name on my PC. It is currently a name that was assigned when I installed Windows 10. I want to give it a different, more common name for use on my home network. My question is, if I change the computer name will that deactivate my Windows 10...
  8. COMPUTER NAME

COMPUTER NAME: HOW TO CHANGE IN WINDOWS 10, THE COMPUTER NAME https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-name/a16e131f-f451-4b3e-ace4-c52ba17afabe
  9. Computer name

Computer name: Is it dangerous to change the computers name after I have been using the computer for years? Will it have an effect on any aspect of the computers operation including apps, email, search engines, network connections, WIFI, internet access, computer performance, etc.? I...
  10. Computer name?

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Computer name?: I just noticed when checking my router that my Windows 10 computer is named something like DESKTOP-XXXXXX, where X is a bunch of random letters and numbers. Then I remembered that unlike with Windows 8.x, setup (in the clean install sense) never asked me to enter a name for...