Windows 10: Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network'

Discus and support Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network' in Windows 10 Network and Sharing to solve the problem; I use a MacBook Pro purchased about a year ago and use bootcamp to have both Mac and Windows on my computer. I have Windows on my computer to use... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Network and Sharing' started by AlexaVande, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network'

I use a MacBook Pro purchased about a year ago and use bootcamp to have both Mac and Windows on my computer. I have Windows on my computer to use QuickBooks for work. I have been doing this for over a year now. I am connected to our Quickbooks business information through a public network. We recently switched over to cable internet and, since then, I am not able to connect to our 'sharing network'. When we originally set up the connection, my computer showed up on the administrator's computer and we typed in my computer username and password to connect and then the administrator's computer showed up on mine and I typed in that password to connect and it worked fine. Now, my computer is not showing up on the administrator's computer anymore and I am not sure how getting cable would have changed the discoverability of my computer. It says I am not connected to this network anymore. There is another computer on this sharing network- it is a desktop and it is still showing up on the administrator's computer and working fine. My laptop is Windows 10. After researching a lot as to why this is happening I made sure: under network and sharing->advanced sharing settings-> guest or public-> both turn on network discovery and turn on file and printer sharing. Both are turned on for private network too just in case. This did not solve my problem. Under Firewall & network protection, firewall is on for domain network, private network, and private network. When I try to connect to a new network, the network I need isn't showing up. Looking online, it seems like some people believe it could be a Windows 10 problem. I am not sure where else to look, I am not great with computers. Any help would be appreciated.

:)

AlexaVande, Aug 6, 2018
  2. topgundcp Win User

Connecting computer with no internet connection to network printer

@dk1971
    • Open Admin command and type: ipconfig

Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network' [​IMG]
    • Win+X->Control Panel->Netwok and Sharing Center
      Follow the screen shot. This should disable internet access from this PC but allows access to local device(s)
      NOTE: Use the IP & Subnet Mask from step 1. Leave Default gateway & DNS Server blank

Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network' [​IMG]

topgundcp, Aug 6, 2018
  3. Public documents sharing

My question is how do other computers see it as homegroup window does not list public folders?

I know how to put files into public it is the next step that I am not understanding in setting up the network/computers etc to see the public folders.

I have spent a day trying to understand/working out how to do this it is not obvious as the homegroup page only shows library folders that I do not want to share.

So how do I get the homegroup to show public folders?

peterprewett, Aug 6, 2018
  4. stab244 Win User

Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network'

Sharing network connection

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home Wi-Fi and then sharing that Wi-Fi connection through the ethernet port on my laptop to my Raspberry Pi 2. Before the update, I was able to set my home network as public and network sharing would still work. Now I need to change it to Private first before the network can be shared. The issue I have with this though is that it creates a network from my laptop named "DIRECT-WR[computer name here]" which I don't want to show up in network lists. Anyway to set my network to private without creating that other network? Or to share it without setting my Wi-Fi connection as private? Thanks.

stab244, Aug 6, 2018
Thema:

Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network'

1. Computer not connecting to public 'sharing network' - Similar Threads - Computer connecting public

2. Public Sharing

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Public Sharing: I have three machines on a wired home network, all running Windows 10 1909. All three are part of the same Workgroup, all three have Public Sharing turned on, yet Istill can't get this to work properly. Machine's One and Two won't show any other connected machines. Machine...
  3. Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro?

Sharing on "Public" Network in Windows 10 Pro?: Is it indeed possible to share files over a "public" network among computers in the same workgroup? If so, are there special tricks to pull this off? I have been advised elsewhere that, "[Microsoft] have broken networking in Windows 10" and that, "if you choose a Public...
  4. Connectivity problems on public wifi network

Connectivity problems on public wifi network: Hello, every time I attempt to connect to a specific Starbucks open wifi network it connects, but blocks all websites thereafter, including trusted sites like google, facebook etc. The error says there is an untrusted certificate for the site and won't allow it to go any...
  5. Can't connect one computer to a functioning Public Network

Can't connect one computer to a functioning Public Network: I am working with a public network at our church. Our host computer BECKY-NEW contains all of the data. Five client computers can access and update that data using mapped network drives. The workgroup is called HOMEWOOD. All six of these computers can see each other....
  6. Public Network

Public Network: Why does my home network show up as a public network instead of a private network? I have an xFinity gateway. I know it has hot spots built into it, but I have turned the hot spots off. Is there a way I can move the network from public to private in Windows?...
  7. Private and Public Network Connections

Private and Public Network Connections: Hey everyone, just recently I reset my modem and router and my laptop. I have made sure that my home router is secure yet when I connect to it, if I go to settings it sets me as a public network. This is weird because when I got my laptop and connected, the computer...
  8. Can't connect to my computers shared public folder from surface

Can't connect to my computers shared public folder from surface: Desktop: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1809 - Os Build 17763.253 Surface: Windows 10 Pro - Version 1803 - OS build 17134.556 I'm trying to access my desktop computer and view it's files in the public folders (clicking the desktop under the network (visible devices tab)...
  9. Network Sharing and Connecting

Network Sharing and Connecting: I'm Not Able To Connect Other Devices In Same Wifi Network I Tried To Change My PC Settings But Still Facing Same Issue. Can Anyone Suggest Me what I Should Do To Solve This Problem So I Can See Other Device Data and To Use Printer As Well....
  10. Sharing network connection

Sharing network connection: Hello, I'm wondering if anyone is having issues with sharing their internet connection with other devices after a recent update to Windows 10. After installing KB3176936 and KB3176934, I am unable to share my network. My current setup has my laptop connected to the home...