Windows 10: Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.

Discus and support Computer refuses to shut down or sleep. in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; Hey everybody! I've found these forums to be a tremendous help with other troubleshooting issues I've had in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Zibeltor, May 5, 2016.

1. Zibeltor Win User

Computer refuses to shut down or sleep.

Hey everybody! I've found these forums to be a tremendous help with other troubleshooting issues I've had in the past. Thanks in advance for anyone willing to help me out again!

Anyway, the problem is that the whenever I shut down my computer, there's a very short delay and it immediately restarts. A similar thing happens if I try to put it to sleep--it immediately wakes up.

I've updated all my Gigabyte Motherboard drivers and I've checked that I'm up to date on Windows Updates. This really happened out of the blue and I'm kind of at a loss as to what would be causing it. I have not added any new components or installed any hardware. I was using a new gaming headset I bought yesterday, but it's hard to imagine how that would cause this. I haven't adjusted any power options or settings... If there's anything I can do to help you guys help me, please just let me know! *Confused

:)

Zibeltor, May 5, 2016
  2. TonySobhy Win User

Shut down and restart

My windows 10 laptop refuses to shut down and refuses to restart. It only sleeps when I click on sleep button from the start menu and when I fold it. I haven’t tried to push the power button as I know that is not good.

TonySobhy, May 5, 2016
  3. Computer wont shut down properly or go to sleep mode after windows 10 upgrade

Hey I own an HP Envy X360 laptop. I have recently uprgraded to windows 10. Since upgrading i noticed that my computer does not shutdown properly.

The power button light stays on and i can hear the fan running but there is no display. When i press the power button again to turn on(when the light is still on and there is no display) the computer does not open so I
    have to press and hold the power button to shut the computer down.

I already turned off the fast start thing from power settings but it did not do anything. How can i solve this problem?

MeteMorris, May 5, 2016
  4. davidhk Win User

..................... This really happened out of the blue..............................

My suggestion may not be a permanent fix, even if it fixes the problem at all.

Seems to me this issue just started lately. Yes ?
    If yes, do a system restore. Pick a date when you did NOT have this problem as your restore point.

System Restore Windows 10

davidhk, May 5, 2016
  5. Zibeltor Win User
    Geeze! Now that I've heard you say it, it seems so obvious! *Doh

Haha, thanks. I'll give that a shot tonight and report back whether I'm still having any problems over the weekend.

Zibeltor, May 5, 2016
  6. Zibeltor Win User
    I did the system restore to before I started having this problem, but unfortunately, the problem persists. I still can't turn off the computer or put it to sleep. :/

Zibeltor, May 6, 2016
  7. davidhk Win User
    davidhk, May 6, 2016
  8. Zibeltor Win User

Well, I'll be! That seems to have (at least temporarily) fixed the issue. Any speculation as to what the underlying problem could have been?

If it's okay, I'm going to leave the thread unsolved for a couple days, just to make sure that it can shut down consistently. Thanks so much for your help. davidhk!

Zibeltor, May 7, 2016
  9. davidhk Win User
    There could be many reasons.
    Bear in mind Win 10 is still a very new OS.

Leave this thread open as long as you wish.

You are welcome.

davidhk, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer refuses to shut down or sleep. - Similar Threads - Computer refuses shut

2. Program refusing to shut down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Program refusing to shut down: Good afternoon,Recently Windows 11 has been installed over Windows 10 on my laptop and unfortunately I am left with a problem whereby I cannot get a photo viewer Breezebrowser to shut down. Also, Windows 11 is not responding to rolling back to Windows 10 or shutting down.I...
  3. My computer refused to shut down.

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    My computer refused to shut down.: When l went to shut it down either from the case button or windows pop-up menu. It flashes the blue screens and then restarts. Problem only occurred now after months of running it fine. Asrock Steel legend B-550, R9-5900x, gigbyte RTX 3070 and 4 Trident z royal series 16GB...
  4. My computer refused to shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer refused to shut down.: When l went to shut it down either from the case button or windows pop-up menu. It flashes the blue screens and then restarts. Problem only occurred now after months of running it fine. Asrock Steel legend B-550, R9-5900x, gigbyte RTX 3070 and 4 Trident z royal series 16GB...
  5. My computer refused to shut down.

6. My computer refuses to shut down.

My computer refuses to shut down.: When l shut it down either from the case button or windows pop-up menu. It flashes the blue screens and then restarts. Problem only occurred now after months of running it fine. Asrock Steel legend B-550, R9-5900x, gigbyte RTX 3070 and 4 Trident z royal series 16GB each....
  7. My computer refuses to shut down.

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer refuses to shut down.: When l shut it down either from the case button or windows pop-up menu. It flashes the blue screens and then restarts. Problem only occurred now after months of running it fine. Asrock Steel legend B-550, R9-5900x, gigbyte RTX 3070 and 4 Trident z royal series 16GB each....
  8. My computer refuses to shut down.

9. [WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer

[WIN10] Sleep shuts down computer: Hi,When I click the sleep option in the power tab in the start menu, my computer acts as if its sleeping, but when I go to turn on my computer again, even after 1-2 minutes, it boots up again as if it had been shut down.I have a ASUS GL552VW, with Processor IntelR CoreTM...
  10. Sleep Just Shuts Down Computer

in Windows 10 Support
    Sleep Just Shuts Down Computer: Hello. After I upgraded from Windows 8.1 to Windows 10, my sleep feature quit working properly. There was a point in time a couple months back it did work, but since I hardly use it I didn't notice a problem. Recently I decided I'd start using it, and that's when I noticed...