Windows 10: Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe')

Discus and support Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe') in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hey, Seemingly out of nowhere for the past week my computer's been running very slowly when it comes to low intensity games / browsing.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Kirros, Apr 26, 2017.

1. Kirros Win User

Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe')

Hey,

Seemingly out of nowhere for the past week my computer's been running very slowly when it comes to low intensity games / browsing. Specifically whenever I open a flash game my browser freezes. And whenever I'm playing WoW and there's like 20+ people on the screen it slows to a crawl. It's never done this before and I can't find any link as to why it's happening... The only thing I discovered was in my task manager- there is a process called WmiApSrv.exe that is constantly going from "running" to "stopped" every 3 seconds or so. My CPU/Disk usage seem to be fine in Resource Monitor but there's a huge list of these "WmiApSrv.exe" processes listed as 'terminated' every time it restarts itself. I looked online for this process but there doesn't seem to be a general consensus on whether it was a necessary service or not and I don't want to go turning off a potentially beneficial service without knowing.

So, I'm not sure if that's what's causing the issue, but it's the only thing I can find that seems out of place. I've run malwarebytes twice now, updated graphics drivers and restarted my computer.

edit- I remembered one more thing that's out of place- when I restart my computer I get an error message that pops up. I've attached a screenshot. I can only imagine it is some kind of virus attempting to start, but I'm not sure. It started popping up around the time my computer started slowing down.

Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe') [​IMG]

:)

Kirros, Apr 26, 2017
  2. BulldogXX Win User

system and reserve problem

Computers don't run slowly because of the hard drive. They run slowly because of memory (aka RAM.) Specifically, you have too many programs running for the amount of RAM in your computer. The solution is to close programs that don't need to run.

BulldogXX, Apr 26, 2017
  3. Computer is running slowly

All of sudden, my Dell laptop running Windows 10, started running very slowly especially downloading pages from the internet. Is there some type of software fix that I run to determine the problem. I've run my McAfee virus scan and it comes up clean.

Moved from Virus and Malware / Other / Scanning, Detecting, and Removing Threats / Windows 10

Peter_0520, Apr 26, 2017
  4. dalchina New Member

Hi, have you tried absolute basics for starters?

1. Check disk(s): e.g. Crystal Diskinfo (free), Hard disk sentinel (trial)
    2. Check your file system:
    C:
    From an admin command prompt
    [Windows key + X, click command prompt (admin)]
    chkdsk C: /F
    Your PC will need to restart.
    Post back the result, which you can get after a restart as follows:
    How do I see the results of a CHKDSK that ran on boot? - Ask Leo!
    Make sure the result is clear or fixed- else do not proceed.

3. From an admin command prompt run
    SFC /SCANNOW
    and report the result on the screen

4. Have you checked your Event log and Reliability History? (Type Reli in Cortana's search, inspect red x's)

5. Have a look at your update history. Is there any significant event about the time this started to happen?

Error message:
    Presumably you've checked the dll is where it is said to be. I would guess it's no longer registered.

Do you know what UWGmedia is? Is it part of a program you could reinstall?
    rtppodtw.dll is not found- you could check the properties of files in that folder for clues.

dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  5. Kirros Win User
    Hi dalchina, thanks for the reply.

I downloaded Crystal Diskinfo and all three of my drives are labelled "Good." I'm not sure if there's more I need to do with that.

The chkdsk's are where it got weird. I did a chkdsk on my other two drives just to be safe, they came up as fine with no errors. Then I did my C: drive and hit yes to do it on boot, but when I restarted my computer nothing happened. I tried this twice with no success. I went to try a third time and when restarting I was prompted with the "startup repair" window that allowed me to select "boot with command prompt" so I tried that. I then performed a chkdsk on C: and it came back with no errors, but said it couldn't make a log of it. Screenshot below:

Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe') [​IMG]

Other than not working on boot like it should and the log error, it found no errors.

Next, I did the sfc /scannow command a day ago, but don't have the result. It didn't come back with any errors, but I'll run it again and post the results when it finishes.

I checked my reliability history and saw no x's.

Kirros, Apr 27, 2017
  6. dalchina New Member
    failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status 50
    failed to transfer logged messages to the event log with status - Microsoft Community

- tends to suggest a disk problem, despite the contrary indications.

Try this:
    Download Macrium Reflect (free) - a disk imaging program we constantly and strongly recommend using routinely. Here we're going to use it for a particular purpose- effectively to test your disk.

You will need a large drive (usually external - quicker with USB3- but for test purposes you could use an internal drive) to write the image to.

Use 'Backup, Backup Windows' - all the partitions used for Win 10 will be automatically selected.
    If a disk problem is detected, this will fail with a CRC error.

You can also try Macrorit Diskscanner (free). Difference is this checks used and unused, the above, only used.
    (Ok, Macrium can do forensic images- everything- the small tool is just more straightforward).

dalchina, Apr 27, 2017
  7. Kirros Win User
    I completed a full windows backup with Macrium Reflect. Only problem was running out of space on my usb drive. Other than that it was fine.

Kirros, Apr 28, 2017
  8. dalchina New Member

Hi, let's assume for now the drive is ok. But it leaves the chkdsk outcome as a puzzle.

Do you have any restore points you can use?

And there's point 5 in my first post.

Is there a difference if you do a clean boot?

dalchina, Apr 28, 2017
  9. Kirros Win User
    I don't have any restore points and I don't see any noticeable update for when this started, unfortunately.

I haven't tried a clean boot but I will do so now. The problem is seemingly becoming harder to diagnose because today my computer was running perfectly for a few hours and then started slowing out of nowhere. Didn't open/change anything, just lag in the middle of my game.

Kirros, Apr 29, 2017
  10. Kirros Win User
    So I've been using my computer for gaming / photoshop with no lag issues so far after doing a clean boot. So would that point to a service or program that may be causing the issue?

Kirros, Apr 30, 2017
  11. dalchina New Member
    That's a very good and fortunate step towards identifying the problem, hopefully.
    First check your task manager when nominally idle after the clean boot, and make sure CPU use is below, say, 3% and no disk or internet activity.

Next it's a process of experimentation and elimination.
    I suggest you enable all services, and see if there's any change.
    If so, work backwards, disabling any services you identify as having been added by programs until you find a culprit.

Once you've worked through that and take any appropriate action, turn to the start-ups.
    It depends how many you've got.
    If a lot, enable a small group, try again.
    If a few, you could work thru one by one.
    Or try a binary chop approach- enable half, if problems, disable half of those enabled.

Etc.

At this point we're assuming there's no Windows corruption. Once you've worked through the above, it will be appropriate to also check for that.

dalchina, Apr 4, 2018
Thema:

1. Computer running slowly (possibly because of process 'WmiApSrv.exe') - Similar Threads - Computer running slowly

2. Computer running slowly

in Windows 10 Network and Sharing
    Computer running slowly: I have recently copied files from my external hard drive to my laptop. My computer is running slowly and my programs such as Adobe and outlook keeps freezing and saying not responding. I think it is the files but when I do a scan for viruses, nothing is detected. What could...
  3. Computer running slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer running slowly: I have recently copied files from my external hard drive to my laptop. My computer is running slowly and my programs such as Adobe and outlook keeps freezing and saying not responding. I think it is the files but when I do a scan for viruses, nothing is detected. What could...
  4. Computer running slowly

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
  5. computer is running very slowly

in Windows 10 Gaming
    computer is running very slowly: since I have updated my computer to windows 11 the computer is very slow, for example: To come to this site to write this question I have been 5 minutes to load firefox. Or also for example I have opened spotify and it has taken between 2 and 3 minutes for the window to...
  6. computer is running very slowly

computer is running very slowly: since I have updated my computer to windows 11 the computer is very slow, for example: To come to this site to write this question I have been 5 minutes to load firefox. Or also for example I have opened spotify and it has taken between 2 and 3 minutes for the window to...
  7. My computer runs slowly. Could it be because there are two versions of .NET Runtime on it?...

in Windows 10 Gaming
    My computer runs slowly. Could it be because there are two versions of .NET Runtime on it?...: My computer runs slowly. Could it be because there are two versions of .NET Runtime on it? The two versions are 5.0.17 and 6.0.9 I have Windows 10; 64 bit computer, Office. It is particularly slow after being awoken from sleep mode and when starting up, though the problem of...
  8. My computer runs slowly. Could it be because there are two versions of .NET Runtime on it?...

My computer runs slowly. Could it be because there are two versions of .NET Runtime on it?...: My computer runs slowly. Could it be because there are two versions of .NET Runtime on it? The two versions are 5.0.17 and 6.0.9 I have Windows 10; 64 bit computer, Office. It is particularly slow after being awoken from sleep mode and when starting up, though the problem of...
  9. Game not running, possibly because of computer software.

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Game not running, possibly because of computer software.: Whenever I try to run a specific steam game, it cancels without giving an error message. I looked into event viewer, and found a recent error related to the game in question: Faulting application name: isaac-ng.exe, version: 0.0.0.0, time stamp: 0x606e40ea Faulting module...
  10. Computer running slowly!

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Computer running slowly!: Computer running slowly! Help.please https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-running-slowly/248bdea5-802c-4d61-9f6f-369facab8e85