Windows 10: Computer Shutdown During Windows 10 Upgrade

Discus and support Computer Shutdown During Windows 10 Upgrade in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade to solve the problem; Alrighty peoples...y'all are gonna have fun with this one *Wink So a friend of mine's grandmother is rather computer-illiterate. Her computer... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade' started by A Future Pilot, May 25, 2016.

1. Computer Shutdown During Windows 10 Upgrade

Alrighty peoples...y'all are gonna have fun with this one *Wink

So a friend of mine's grandmother is rather computer-illiterate. Her computer started to upgrade to Windows 10 and she (thinking that it would delete all of her data) shutdown the computer halfway through. Now on boot (whether normally or in Safe Mode), there's only a black screen with a working mouse cursor. At this point she's OK with either sticking with Windows 7 or upgrading to Windows 10 (I'd prefer upgrading to Windows 10 personally).

So...here's what I've tried so far:

• I've tried accessing task manager through Ctrl+Alt+Del. No go.
    • I've tried getting to the control panel through the sticky keys menu and the ease of access menu. The links aren't there.
    • I've been able to boot into Recover Mode, but startup repair can't fix it.
    • I've run sfc /scannow, which says it can't run because of a pending update, so I've run it with /offbootdir and /offwindir options and it's run without reporting any problems.
    • I've tried installing Windows 10 from a USB stick, but on starting it says there's already an upgrade in progress and to reboot. If I try going ahead it only gives options to save the data, not the applications.

The next thing I want to try is deleting cleanup.xml and pending.xml (if they exist) from Windows\WinSxS\ and see if I can then either run sfc /scannow and/or install Windows 10 from the USB without it thinking there's already an upgrade in progress.

Do any of you have any suggestions? My other thought is if I can figure out a way to get a command prompt at the black screen, I can start setup from the USB stick which would hopefully run the upgrade like normal. However, I haven't figured out a way to get to the command prompt.

Could I run the setup on the USB from the command prompt in recovery?

Thanks for any help y'all can give me!

EDIT: I forgot to add...There are no system restore points to revert to.

:)

A Future Pilot, May 25, 2016
  2. DaveR849 Win User

storport.sys

DRIVER IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL (storport.sys) – Windows 10

After installing an update I started getting this message during a restart. It then started to appear during a shutdown and prevented the computer from going to shutdown. Instead, Windows 10 went into restart mode. Only way to shutdown was to physically
    power down from the login screen.

DaveR849, May 25, 2016
  3. AviKav Win User
    Update while shutting down taking eight hours

1. No

2. I have made no attempt to hard shutdown my computer as I'm not sure whether Windows 10 displays extra dialog when updating during shutdown.

And thank you for moving this question to the proper category. I was not entirely sure if this was an update issue or a shutdown issue.

AviKav, May 25, 2016
  4. dalchina New Member

Computer Shutdown During Windows 10 Upgrade

Hi, I'm sure I'm not going to be able to help rescue the situation - here's a starter for 1 and a half.
    I'm assuming
    a. You don't know how far the upgrade got
    b. Your grandmother doesn't use disk imaging (!)
    c. There are adequate backups of any data (else your priority is data recovery and backup before trying to make changes - I note you've already started, so assume you've attended to that)

Using a 3rd party partition manager boot disk, please post a screenshot of the partitions you see.
    We need to know if they look like Win 10 or Win 7.

If you boot from a live boot disk (there's one at the top of Software and Apps) can you access what should be the Windows partition?

If so, does the partition/disk that should contain Windows have a Windows folder only, or a Windows and a Windows.old folder?

If you have a Windows.old folder, that's where Win 7 now resides.
    If

dalchina, May 26, 2016
Thema:

Computer Shutdown During Windows 10 Upgrade

1. Computer Shutdown During Windows 10 Upgrade - Similar Threads - Computer Shutdown During

2. Windows crashes during shutdown

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    Windows crashes during shutdown: Hi,i've got the problem, that my Laptop Lenovo Legion y720 with win10 crashes during shutdown. I've replaced the 256gb ssd with a 1tb ssd recently, i suspect, that this could be the reason. The complete 256gb was cloned into the 1tb ssd including the windows files.Here you...
  3. Shutdown during update on windows 10

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Shutdown during update on windows 10: My laptop accidentally shutdown by itself due to an electrical problem, even though my laptop is being updated like this picture. What will happen ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-during-update-on-windows-10/22fdba57-2433-41f5-b995-c44069db321e
  4. Shutdown during update on windows 10

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Shutdown during update on windows 10: My laptop accidentally shutdown by itself due to an electrical problem, even though my laptop is being updated like this picture. What will happen ? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/shutdown-during-update-on-windows-10/22fdba57-2433-41f5-b995-c44069db321e
  5. Shutdown during update on windows 10

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
  6. Windows 10 unexpected shutdown during startup

Windows 10 unexpected shutdown during startup: Hi there, so i just sat down to a monday morning of corona home office, turned on my machine and it started to go through the standard startup procedures, when it unexpectedly just shut down automatically - as in just turned itself off, no power. I turned it back on and...
  7. Windows shutdown during updates

in Windows 10 Installation and Upgrade
    Windows shutdown during updates: Hi, i was updating to the latest version of windows 10. Download went well then it said restart your pc, after doing that its shows "windows updating do not turn off your pc" it went well but now at 87% pc gets shutdown automatically. When i start pc again, it shows same...
  8. BSOD on Windows 10 during startup or shutdown

BSOD on Windows 10 during startup or shutdown: Greetings, we prepared a brand new Dell Precision 7540 Specification here: We added a 16GB crucial certified DDR, that is recognised by Win. We use a compatible usb-c docking station to have 2 more monitors connected, usb keyboard, mouse and the ethernet. The docking is...
  9. Windows 10 freezes during shutdown and sleep

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Windows 10 freezes during shutdown and sleep: I have a Lenovo laptop with Windows 10 Pro. PROBLEM: After resume from sleep, the system failed to start and made a pop sound. After that the system freezes whenever I try to shut it down or use sleep. The screen is off but the power & charge leds and fan is still on. It...
  10. Computer Won't Stay Shutdown After Windows 10 Upgrade

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer Won't Stay Shutdown After Windows 10 Upgrade: Completed the Windows 10 upgrade on a Intel/Gigabyte based Desktop computer. Following the upgrade, the computer will now not shutdown correctly from the Start Menu. The system will power off for about 5 seconds, then immediately power back on and boot back into Windows....