Windows 10: Computer shuts down occasionally

Discus and support Computer shuts down occasionally in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance to solve the problem; Hi, I bought a PC 7 months ago. Specs are mentioned in my profile. If there is something not mentioned correctly you can ask me. At first this... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance' started by Zarmina, Oct 25, 2017.

1. Zarmina Win User

Computer shuts down occasionally

Hi, I bought a PC 7 months ago. Specs are mentioned in my profile. If there is something not mentioned correctly you can ask me.

At first this computer worked well, even during games.
    A month later the screen would shut down unexpectedly saying there is no signal, while the fans on the PC were making lots of noise and the lights were on.
    To make it stop we had to force shut down.

This issue usually appeared during games, like Elder Scrolls Online and The Sims.
    Keep in mind that first it was not an issue, the games could be on for hours, but later the screen would turn black, and the fans run more and more often.

We swapped the graphic card with another computer. The problem didn't appear on the other PC, but it continued on mine.

We checked if the components were placed properly, nothing was bent, etc.
    Then we reinstalled Windows 10 on the PC from Settings (which came in the new update).

During normal use after that, the PC suddenly shut down. Totally off.
    Then we installed only Steam and Elder Scrolls, and played the game couple hours for two days.
    Same thing happened. Complete shut down. No noise.
    This time the PC wouldn't even turn on. The light on the system and Power button came on once, but nothing else happened. After that not even the lights came on.
    We unplugged and plugged it back in, waited couple hours, but it wouldn't turn on. So we took out the connections/cables.
    Finally turned on after two days.

I have no idea what to do further or what to check. I am not very computer savvy.

:)

Zarmina, Oct 25, 2017

2. windows 10 pc shuts down when idle. I don't want it to, how do I change this?

My PC has just been upgraded to Windows 10. However now it shuts down when left idle. How to I prevent this happening?

12th August and still occasionally shuts down for no reason. Also an update applied on shutting down did not turn the computer off afterwards as I expect it to.

RickHollebon, Oct 25, 2017
  3. Windows 10 PC shutsdown unexpectedly

I ran windows defender and Malwarebytes to remove any potential spyware or unwanted software. My computer was shutting down every 5 minutes of bootup while I was running the anti-malware. The malware found by the scans was cleaned. The computer however
    occasionally still shuts down.

Texascowboy46, Oct 25, 2017
  4. dmholt57 Win User

The manufacturer and model number would help us see if this is a problem specific to the build. *Cool

dmholt57, Oct 25, 2017
  5. Zarmina Win User
    It is a computer we built ourselves.

Fractal Design Define S Black Window
    fans: 1x 140mm front, 1x 140mm back, noise reduction. mITX, mATX, ATX, window

ASUS Prime Z270-P, Socket-1151
    Motherboard, ATX, Z270, DDR4, 2xPCIe-x16, CFX, USB 3.0

Intel Core i5-7500 Kaby Lake Prosessor
    Socket-LGA1151, Quad Core, 3.4GHz, 6MB cache, 65W, 14nm, HD630

Corsair CX650M, 650W PSU
    ATX 12V v2.4, 80 Plus Bronze, Semi Modular, 4x 6+2-pin PCIe, 6x SATA

Crucial DDR4 2400MHz 16GB
    2x8GB 2400MHz (PC4-19200) DDR4 CL17 SR x8, 288pin, Single Ranked

Samsung PM961 SSD 256GB PCIe PC KIT
    up to 2800/1100MB/s read/write, antistatbag, PC KIT0

ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC
    Graphics Card, PCI-Express 3.0, GDDR5, DL-DVI-D, 2x HDMI 2.0, 2x DisplayPor

Zarmina, Oct 25, 2017
  6. Usually all these happen whenever the CPU hit the 65 C heat mark .

Now this can appear to various reasons :
    1 - A back ground process worked the CPU at 100% state for a long while .
    2 - You did not apply heat sink paste properly during building .
    3 - Faulty drivers .
    4 - Accumulated dust in heat sink (Can happen faster than you think when you have so many fans inside) .
    5 - Virus
    6 - Busted capacitors (Visually examine the ones near CPU for broken cap or swollen but usually this happen after prolonged use , not within just a month)

Solutions :
    1 - Download and replace current drivers by manufacturer's drivers .
    2 - Do a complete virus/malware scan .
    3 - Service the PC for dust (Clean fans , sink , re-paste the CPU)
    4 - Try to extend display on additional screen then add to screen 2 the Task Manager sorted by CPU usage and a Heat Gadget and monitor them for peaks and which program is causing them .
    5 - If all fails then reset windows .

nIGHTmAYOR, Oct 27, 2017
  7. Zarmina Win User
    I have done all the things above except for downloading windows from the USB or through any external drive and I didn't check it through extending screen. As something else catch my attention. I have checked that when I turn on my game it raises the CPU and GPU up to 100% which is not normal! People say it goes up to 40%. I have applied new glue to heat sink, but it didn't help... Is there any thing I can do?

When I lower the game resolution settings it goes down, but then the game graphics are not worth playing and I didn't buy a gaming PC to play like this, so this is something I would not go for... Computer turns off with other games too like sims 4... Sometimes it takes 1 hour to turns off and sometimes it is even quicker.

Zarmina, Nov 1, 2017
  8. zbook New Member

There may be useful information in the logs to troubleshoot. This is the DM log collector that we use in the bsod forum. It will automatically collect dumps, msinfo32, dxdiag, event log, etc.
    During the troubleshooting use English as the default language so that the logs can be scanned and read.
    Language - Add, Remove, and Change in Windows 10 General Tips Tutorials
    Please run the DM log collector and then post a zip into the thread for troubleshooting.
    BSOD - Posting Instructions - Windows 10 Forums

Please update the specs in the "My Computer" section:
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    How To Fill Out Your System Specs
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums:
    System Specs - Fill in at Ten Forums General Tips Tutorials
    In the left corner below in your post you find 'My System Specs'.
    After clicking it you can find a link a little below that says 'Update your System Spec', click on this link to get to the page where you can fill in your system specs.
    System Info - See Your System Specs - Windows 7 Help Forums

Please include PSU, cooler, case, peripherals and anything attached to the computer by wired or wireless (mouse, keyboard, printer, headset, xbox, etc.)

zbook, Nov 1, 2017
  9. Make sure you download ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 6GB DUAL OC driver from Asus's website and tweak windows to not update drivers as part of windows update and test , I kind of feel you missed that one out .

This card is a mod by Asus , OC means overclocking , if such feature was abused it may either fry the card or cause restarts .

Also NVIDIA drivers after Window 10 Creators Update are causing problems to everybody , apparently window changed something and NVIDIA did not catch up that fast , manufacturer's driver even if outdated might be the answer .

nIGHTmAYOR, Nov 1, 2017
  10. Steve C Win User
    Overheating seems a good bet. Use a utility like HWMonitor to check your system temperatures and see if the CPU / motherboard / GPU is overheating - see HWMONITOR | Softwares | CPUID

Run the program as admin to see all details.

Steve C, Nov 1, 2017
  11. Zarmina Win User
    I have updated the system specs the best I could do. If something is not appropriate or something please help me to make it better.

I am uploading DM log collector file as well.

I use ASUS's website to download drivers, when I tried to open it to double check, so it says, ''Something went wrong try restarting GeForce experience.'' I will google later and make it better.

May be it is irrelevant to say but few days back I just changed some settings to make better performance and less personalization. I already have don't much on my computer. I have installed ESO and my pictures and documents are in additional HDD. To check the problem with ESO I have downloaded SIMS. I use this PC for mostly study purpose which is online.. There are only four start up programs; one drive, steam, Realtek HD audio Manager and windows defender. My CPU and GPU remains under 4% usage unless I turn on ESO or Sims... it just goes to 100% and then I turn off the game as it doesn't seem normal or it just turns off without giving me a chance to check System usage...

OC is something I don't know much about and have never experimented with it... so don't know if it is causing a problem...

HW monitor I will use it today while turning the game if my computer doesn't turns off and I get a chance so I will update about that too *Smile Should I take a screen shot and upload here?

Last thing I want to ask is the company through which I bought this computer are asking me to send it back to them so they can check. Should I go for it?

DESKTOP-1Q6497I-03_11_2017_131714_41.zip

Zarmina, Nov 4, 2017
  12. vgchat Win User
    Have you checked to see that your PSU or Motherboard are not faulty/failing?

edit: It might be time that you check for viruses... and yes there are malware types that can survive "fresh installations". *reference link

I see alot of this near the end of a log.

Code: The system time has changed to ?2017?-?11?-?03T13:34:01.235953700Z from ?2017?-?11?-?03T13:33:58.780845800Z. Change Reason: An application or system component changed the time.[/quote]

vgchat, Nov 5, 2017
  13. zbook New Member

The 10/28/2017 - 11/03/2017 (6 days) event log was unremarkable except for 2 crashes.
    Code: Event[553]: Log Name: System Source: Disk Date: 2017-10-28T22:35:55.993 Event ID: 157 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: N/A User Name: N/A Computer: DESKTOP-1Q6497I Description: Disk 1 has been surprise removed.[/quote] Event ID 157 Ntdebugging Blog

Code: Event[1262]: Log Name: System Source: User32 Date: 2017-11-02T00:19:31.377 Event ID: 1073 Task: N/A Level: Warning Opcode: N/A Keyword: Classic User: S-1-5-21-84629159-2200316992-978364530-1001 User Name: DESKTOP-1Q6497I\Zarmina Computer: DESKTOP-1Q6497I Description: The attempt by user DESKTOP-1Q6497I\Zarmina to restart/shutdown computer DESKTOP-1Q6497I failed[/quote] The current BIOS: Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0608, 23/03/2017
    SMBIOS Version 3.0

Please update the BIOS and CHIP SET:
    PRIME Z270-P Driver & Tools| Motherboards | ASUS USA

And please view and update all of the available drivers as there are multiple drivers offered late 2017.

Version -2017/11/023.26 MBytesMEUpdateTool_UI_consumer
    Intel has identified security vulnerabilities that could potentially place impacted platforms at risk.
    Intel has validated and released a ME and software updates that address the identified security vulnerabilities.
    Thus, we strongly suggest you to update your ME to the latest Version via using MEUpdateTool as attached.
    *We suggest you update ME Driver (Support -> Driver & Utility -> Chipset) to the latest Version 11.7.0.1040 simultaneously.

Version 11.7.0.10402017/11/0186.56 MBytes
    Management Engine Interface
    Improve system stability

zbook, Nov 5, 2017
  14. Zarmina Win User
    Viruses? umm is windows defender not enough?

Initially I believed the problem is with my motherboard. I don't know how to check that. So I installed another graphic card on my motherboard and the problems were replicating. So I concluded that the problem is with my motherboard.

Can't say much about the PSU... The seller gave me two option;
    1: send him back all the components so he will check
    2: he will send me new PSU

I am just confused...
    Is there any suggestion?

these codes I don't understand... but will follow the instructions and will update

Thanks a lot you guys are really helping me out with this problem

Zarmina, Nov 5, 2017
  15. vgchat Win User
    At this point you can either, send it back to seller or contact a local pc repair place. Your choice.

I would go for a local repair and if that fails, ship it back as a last resort.

vgchat, Nov 6, 2017
Thema:

1. Computer shuts down occasionally - Similar Threads - Computer shuts down

2. Computer shut down

in Windows 10 Customization
    Computer shut down: HelloI had downloaded AMD graphic and my computer started acting up. It would shutdown within 5 min.I managed to uninstall amd graphics.Then I was doing an reset of the computer. But at 36% it automatically shut down .Please help me what should I do?...
  3. Computer occasionally shuts down unexpectedly -

in Windows 10 Gaming
    Computer occasionally shuts down unexpectedly -: PC has started to shut down unexpectedly. Getting problem details of The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000139 0x000000000000001d, 0xffffa908e2837980, 0xffffa908e28378d8, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  4. Computer occasionally shuts down unexpectedly -

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer occasionally shuts down unexpectedly -: PC has started to shut down unexpectedly. Getting problem details of The computer has rebooted from a bugcheck. The bugcheck was: 0x00000139 0x000000000000001d, 0xffffa908e2837980, 0xffffa908e28378d8, 0x0000000000000000. A dump was saved in: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP. Report Id:...
  5. Computer occasionally shuts down unexpectedly -

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
  6. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Software and Apps
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  7. Computer Shut Down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Shut Down: What is the advantage of using the sleep option as opposed to the shut down option? https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/computer-shut-down/041f86fc-afa8-4c66-aa1c-c9aa74bb13e2
  8. Computer shut down

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer shut down: My computer takes a long time to shut down. The feed to the monitor shuts down and everything else looks like it works fine, but the computer fan, lights and other hardware items do not shut down for over half an hour. If I have sleep enabled the computer will go to sleep...
  9. Computer Shutting Down

in Windows 10 Drivers and Hardware
    Computer Shutting Down: Hello - can anyone help with this problem please? My computer is shutting down periodically, but its getting more regular. On some days it can shut down several times in the day, and then go for several days without shutting down. Things I've checked; The load is usually...
  10. Windows 10 occasionally freezes / Slow shut down.

in Windows 10 Support
    Windows 10 occasionally freezes / Slow shut down.: *Smile Hi all. Recently I have noticed one or two problems (niggles), crop up. 1. Windows 10 occasionally freezes for no apparent reason that I can see. 2. Start up appears slightly longer on the start. 3. Shutdown / Restart, noticeably slower. I have run full virus...