Windows 10: Computer shuts down when lid is closed

Discus and support Computer shuts down when lid is closed in Windows 10 Support to solve the problem; My computer doesn't suspend or hibernate when I close the lid no matter which configurations I set on power options. It always shuts down the computer.... Discussion in 'Windows 10 Support' started by Krakas, Oct 29, 2016.

1. Krakas Win User

Computer shuts down when lid is closed

My computer doesn't suspend or hibernate when I close the lid no matter which configurations I set on power options. It always shuts down the computer. If I click the power button before closing the lid, it suspends but when I close the lid he shuts down. I've tried to update the bios, it solved the problem but its happening again. I've also updated Intel Management Engine Interface driver as advised by asus and did not work.

PS: If I set it to do nothing it doesn't shut down, just does nothing, which is really not useful for me.

Thanks in advance.

:)

Krakas, Oct 29, 2016
  2. mmercuryy Win User

Laptop shuts down when lid is closed

On the first day of using my new xps 13, when I closed the laptop lid and opened it after an hour or so, it wasn't in sleep mode; I had to turn my laptop on. I thought it was just an error, but it continued until today, which is the second day that I am
    using the laptop. However, if I open the laptop after closing the lid for around 10-20 minutes, it works just fine. I am really not sure what I am supposed to do. I already set my laptop to go to sleep when the lid is closed for situation both with and without
    the charger using the control panel, but it still doesn't work.

Oddly though, yesterday, when I tried to restart my laptop, it oddly showed the screen "Please do not shut the computer down" with a blue screen with the circle for around an hour or so, so I'm not sure if that's relevant.

Anyways, could anyone help me with that?

mmercuryy, Oct 29, 2016
  3. lacrumb Win User
    Laptop shuts down when lid is closed

Go Control Panel, Power options, Choose what closing the lid does.

Control Panel app is in All apps under Windows System.

lacrumb, Oct 29, 2016
Thema:

Computer shuts down when lid is closed

1. Computer shuts down when lid is closed - Similar Threads - Computer shuts down

2. Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close

in Windows 10 Performance & Maintenance
    Computer Not Sleeping on Lid Close: Hi all! I have had a Windows Surface Laptop for 2 years now. Recently, when I close my laptop, the screen does not sleep and the screen light can still be seen. I have checked the Power Options/System Settings and the computer is set to sleep when the lid is closed. Since...
  3. Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid

Laptop shuts down after some time when closing lid: hello, I have very annoying things happening with windows 10. One of the latest is that my laptop goes to sleep when closing the lid. The problem is that my power settings are set to "Do nothing" for closing lid and practically all settings regarding sleep - hibernate - shut...
  4. My computer is either hibernating or shutting down when i close my lid or press the power...

My computer is either hibernating or shutting down when i close my lid or press the power...: I want my computer to go to sleep when I close the lid or press the power button. I pressed on Control Panel > searched Power Options > then "Choose what the power button does" or "Choose what closing the lid does" and it says on both options that it will sleep when I press...
  5. Laptop closes programes when lid is closed

in Windows 10 Support
    Laptop closes programes when lid is closed: This past few days whenever i close the laptop lid with the laptop is still on whenever i later return to the laptop open the lid all programes that i had opened even the web browser are closed, anyone offer any help to fix this so that all programs that were opened remain...
  6. Computer shuts down when idle

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle: Hi. Right after installing yesterday’s Windows Updates, my computer started shutting down after being idle (or as soon as the screensaver came on). I’ve run Avast! and Maleware Bytes — both are clear, and I’ve tried clearing my browsers’ cache. Nothing seems to work....
  7. BSOD when closing computer lid

in Windows 10 BSOD Crashes and Debugging
    BSOD when closing computer lid: Hi, every time i close my computer lid, which is supposed to suspend the computer, it instead reboots causing bsod as i can see My computer is an asus n551jx running windows 10. I send the dump file attached thanks for helping Attachment 81023 51042
  8. Computer shuts down when idle?

in Windows 10 Support
    Computer shuts down when idle?: have made sure that all the settings i can find in power options for shutting the PC down when idle are either set to never or disabled but must have missed something somewhere? after 20 minutes or so the PC shuts itself off..... any ideas? I originally suspected a non...
  9. My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?

in Windows 10 Support
    My laptop shuts down when I close the lid or press the power button?: This problem only started around last week, but I have also had it in the past. Whenever I shut the lid of my laptop (which I have set for the laptop to to enter sleep mode), it seems to sleep normally (i.e. the fan turns off and the power button blinks to indicate the...
  10. When close lid during shutting down, PC go into sleep.

in Windows 10 Support
    When close lid during shutting down, PC go into sleep.: Hello, I've got a problem (or a feature ? Not so sure) that when I finish my work, I shutting down my laptop, while waiting it to be shut down, I close the lid. The problem is when I close the lid, the laptop go into sleep mode, and when I back to work, I open the lid to...